Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby R to the OB » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:48 pm

Jet915 wrote:
stever20 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:I have to believe FS1 will get some Big Ten football/basketball like how they currently split the Big XII/Pac-12 with ESPN. They own half the Big Ten Network and promote Big Ten Network games on FS1 already. Once FS1 gets the Big Ten, they will be fine IMO. This doesn't include MLS, Men's and Women's World Cup and U.S. Open Golf that are coming in the next few years....

Fox owning half of the Big Ten Network is MEANINGLESS. If ESPN pays more than Fox does(and if they don't allow it to go to open bidding)- ESPN will get it. It's a BIG TEN decision. Not a Big Ten Network decision. HUGE difference there.

It is NOT meaningless. There is a working relationship and synergies in place. Although money will be the deciding factor, Fox owning half your network will get you a seat at the table.

+1
Stever, that's probably one of the most ridiculous things you've said. It does matter.
R to the OB

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Xudash » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:55 pm

stever20 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:I have to believe FS1 will get some Big Ten football/basketball like how they currently split the Big XII/Pac-12 with ESPN. They own half the Big Ten Network and promote Big Ten Network games on FS1 already. Once FS1 gets the Big Ten, they will be fine IMO. This doesn't include MLS, Men's and Women's World Cup and U.S. Open Golf that are coming in the next few years....

Fox owning half of the Big Ten Network is MEANINGLESS. If ESPN pays more than Fox does(and if they don't allow it to go to open bidding)- ESPN will get it. It's a BIG TEN decision. Not a Big Ten Network decision. HUGE difference there.

You obviously have no clue as to how joint venture relationships such as the B1G/BTN work. Damn.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby MUPanther » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:37 pm

The B1G will be going to nine league games I think in 2017, so that is a lot of games for one network to have. I think there might be a split deal.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby MUPanther » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:47 pm

stever20 wrote:
MUPanther wrote:
FlyJays wrote:The ratings over the last month and a half have been promising for FS1. Largely due to baseball. However, FS1's year over year growth is the largest of any television network this year. That's the really good news. I still think they needed to make a bid for the NBA. Random Pac-12 football games and UFC aren't going to cut it when there isn't basketball to watch.

The NBA ship has sailed.

FS1 does have good amount of football from the Pac-12, Big 12 and Conf. USA. Problem is the major game they get lands on big Fox.
FS1 needs live games from Sunday thru Wednesday. Other than college basketball with the Big East and Pac-12 Nov thru the first week in March, they don't have it.

Problem with their football- Big 12 is the #5 of the P5 conferences, and Pac 12 with being out west has a number of late night starts. And yes, the major game normally gets syphoned off to Fox.

And Fox from now until March- really the only Sun-Fri programming is Big East/Pac 12 bball and UFC(which don't compliment each other at all). Live rights are what Fox needs.

I don't use the P word. The B1G and ACC is not better than the Big 12 in football. Great thing about B1G schools is that they turn the needle. Image if they were the SEC of football.
MUPanther

Postby HoosierPal » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:08 pm

The NLCS was a big loser for FS1. All NLCS games this year were on upstart cable/satellite network Fox Sports 1, with the first one also on Fox’s over-the-air outlet. But the opener, on so-called “free TV’’ that many viewers complain doesn’t have enough sports anymore, drew just a 23.3 rating — the same figure FS1 averaged for the four other games. Nationally, it tied for the worst rating in the 46-season history of the event.

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/television/dan-caesar/world-series-ratings-bottom-out-so-did-cards-in-nlcs/article_f81b90a5-bfaf-5a92-b93a-4b11eb83490f.html
HoosierPal

Postby MUPanther » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:37 pm

Must be a typo. It didn't get a 23.3.
MUPanther

Postby Bluejay » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:52 pm

Jet915 wrote:
stever20 wrote:

It is NOT meaningless. There is a working relationship and synergies in place. Although money will be the deciding factor, Fox owning half your network will get you a seat at the table.

Yup. I suspect it has a lot to do with the BE-B1G Challenge getting put together.
Bluejay

Postby stever20 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:05 pm

keep telling yourself that. Money and Exposure are what is going to decide it. Not who owns their network. What's fox going to do if Big Ten goes to ESPN- just drop the Big Ten Network? No way.

And the question I have- is the Big Ten contract like the AAC deal was- where ESPN has the right of first refusal. If that's the case- the Big Ten isn't going anywhere.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:12 am

stever20 wrote:keep telling yourself that. Money and Exposure are what is going to decide it. Not who owns their network. What's fox going to do if Big Ten goes to ESPN- just drop the Big Ten Network? No way.

And the question I have- is the Big Ten contract like the AAC deal was- where ESPN has the right of first refusal. If that's the case- the Big Ten isn't going anywhere.

It's a no lose situation for us.
If Fox doesn't get the Big Ten, then they'll buy Time Warner or whatever else they need to.
You're thinking too small.
Rupert Murdoch and his sons are ruthless dudes, and they dont think small.

Plus, every recent post of yours has been either dripping with sadness that things are breaking in favor of the Big East, or making ridiculous claims that go against reality... like Baghdad Bob in cyberspace.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:21 am

billyjack wrote:
stever20 wrote:keep telling yourself that. Money and Exposure are what is going to decide it. Not who owns their network. What's fox going to do if Big Ten goes to ESPN- just drop the Big Ten Network? No way.

It's a no lose situation for us.
If Fox doesn't get the Big Ten, then they'll buy Time Warner or whatever else they need to.
You're thinking too small.
Rupert Murdoch and his sons are ruthless dudes, and they dont think small.

Plus, every recent post of yours has been either dripping with sadness that things are breaking in favor of the Big East, or making ridiculous claims that go against reality... like Baghdad Bob in cyberspace.

That's assuming that Time Warner wants to sell. I don't think that's the case at all.

And no not everything is breaking in favor of the Big East. Did you see the preseason top 25 with exactly 1 top 25 team and 3 teams getting any votes period. That's not in favor of the Big East.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board