Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby stever20 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:14 pm

MUPanther wrote:
stever20 wrote:yeah. Fox though gets game 3 of the Was/SF series tonight(the LA/Stl game is on MLB network)- not in prime time and could have only 1 more LA/Stl game tomorrow for their LDS- instead of getting 8 games, could wind up with only 5 games- with no game 5's. Then they could get stuck with a LA/SF NLCS series, which I don't think would get good ratings around the nation(too narrow)...

Game 3 of Washington at San Francisco is on MLB NETWORK and LA at St. Louis is on FS1 at 9 Et.

On Tuesday both Game 4's are on FS1.

Yeah with Was winning tonight, gets Fox another game at least tomorrow. They are hoping they get both series to go 5 and really help out there...
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Michael in Raleigh » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:21 am

It's too bad FS1 didn't get the NBA at all. I had figured they were prepared to back up the Brinks truck for a package with the NBA, even a one night/week deal. With the NBA, FS1 could have been on more basic cable packages--I, for instance, get ESPN and ESPN2 but not FS1, ESPNU, NBCSN, or CBSSN--allowing greater exposure and opportunity for big ratings.

I cannot help but wonder whether Fox decides to go "all-in" with FS1, perhaps at the expense of their many regional networks. There is a log of NBA and college football contents on those FSN's. When I lived in Indiana, a lot of Pacers games were on FS Indiana. Some ACC and C-USA games are on Fox Sports South. Some of those could instead be on FS1 and FS2. There is likely some CBB content as well on those regional networks.

My point is thay Fox owns a lot more sports properties than those that appear on FS1. With the NBA, especially, they could really benefit from getting games on its signature network rather than on its limited audience local networks.

Whether it is even feasible to take games off the FSN's and put them onto FS1 is beyond my expertise. I just know it is clear FS1 needs a lot more premier content if it expects to compete with ESPN at all. And the Big East needs more people watching FS1 in order to regain the viewership it lost by leaving ESPN.
Michael in Raleigh

Postby Chalmers0 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:37 am

Michael in Raleigh wrote:It's too bad FS1 didn't get the NBA at all. I had figured they were prepared to back up the Brinks truck for a package with the NBA, even a one night/week deal. With the NBA, FS1 could have been on more basic cable packages--I, for instance, get ESPN and ESPN2 but not FS1, ESPNU, NBCSN, or CBSSN--allowing greater exposure and opportunity for big ratings.

I cannot help but wonder whether Fox decides to go "all-in" with FS1, perhaps at the expense of their many regional networks. There is a log of NBA and college football contents on those FSN's. When I lived in Indiana, a lot of Pacers games were on FS Indiana. Some ACC and C-USA games are on Fox Sports South. Some of those could instead be on FS1 and FS2. There is likely some CBB content as well on those regional networks.

My point is thay Fox owns a lot more sports properties than those that appear on FS1. With the NBA, especially, they could really benefit from getting games on its signature network rather than on its limited audience local networks.

Whether it is even feasible to take games off the FSN's and put them onto FS1 is beyond my expertise. I just know it is clear FS1 needs a lot more premier content if it expects to compete with ESPN at all. And the Big East needs more people watching FS1 in order to regain the viewership it lost by leaving ESPN.

Not an expert, but I'm fairly confident they cannot take games off of a regional network and put them onto the FS1 network without a contract with the league similar to what ESPN/Turner just signed.
Chalmers0

Postby stever20 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:36 am

Fox can't do that. Have to have a contract with the league- and that's something that ESPN/Turner prevented with their deal.
stever20

Postby Bluejay » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:44 am

Chalmers0 wrote:
Michael in Raleigh wrote:It's too bad FS1 didn't get the NBA at all. I had figured they were prepared to back up the Brinks truck for a package with the NBA, even a one night/week deal. With the NBA, FS1 could have been on more basic cable packages--I, for instance, get ESPN and ESPN2 but not FS1, ESPNU, NBCSN, or CBSSN--allowing greater exposure and opportunity for big ratings.

Not an expert, but I'm fairly confident they cannot take games off of a regional network and put them onto the FS1 network without a contract with the league similar to what ESPN/Turner just signed.

I would agree with Chalmers, but add that I think most entities would gladly allow their games to be moved off of regional networks to national networks.
Bluejay

Postby MUPanther » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:31 pm

stever20 wrote:
MUPanther wrote:
stever20 wrote:I think the other thing that this shows as well that's a problem for Fox- it's a big advantage to be an incumbent. ESPN and Turner probably expressed to the NBA that they wanted to get it done before it went out on the market and stepped up to the plate.

It wouldn't shock me if ESPN went to the Big Ten and tried to get something done before it goes on the open market.

I don't know what ESPN has left in money. That's why ESPN did a low bid for the World Cup. FOX owns half of BTN, so that can't hurt Fox in getting the B1G.

I've heard folks on here say that about Fox owning half of the BTN, but that is completely meaningless in who gets the Big Ten TV deal. If ESPN's bid is more than Fox's, ESPN will get it. Period end of story.

Also, ESPN knows if they can shut Fox out here, there isn't anything left. So it'd be short term loss for long term gain.

I never said that would make Fox land the B1G. It will be show me the money and coverage.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby MUPanther » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:20 pm

Let's hope FS1 can keep it going with some solid college football game coming up the next two weeks.

Saturday, Oct. 11
Oregon at UCLA (3:30 p.m., FOX,
West Virginia at Texas Tech (Noon, FS1)
Oklahoma State at Kansas (4 p.m., FS1)

Thursday, Oct. 16
Utah at Oregon State (10 p.m., FS1)

Saturday, Oct. 18
Baylor at West Virginia (Noon, FS1)
Oklahoma State at TCU (4 p.m., FS1)
Washington at Oregon (8 p.m., FS1)
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby billyjack » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:03 pm

Fox Sports 1 is going to stress sabermetrics during tomorrow's Giants-Cardinals game... meaning the focus will be more on OBP, OPS, WHIP, etc... Rob Neyer (an early sabermetric supporter) will be featured. Should be a good telecast. Great to see FS1 innovating, and it'd be nice to see it carry over into our hoops games.

Fox Sports back in the day was the first station to display (during live action) the score/ inning/ outs/ count/ baserunners in their baseball, and the score/ time/ etc during football and basketball.

Seems impossible nowadays to watch a game without the score display box, but before that innovation viewers would have to wait for a commercial or a score to get the game info displayed... as kids, if we joined a Red Sox home game mid-inning, we would hope that the batter would fly to left so that we could get a glimpse of the scoreboard...!

Here's an article on FS1's idea:
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/on- ... broadcast/
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:44 pm

billyjack wrote:Fox Sports 1 is going to stress sabermetrics during tomorrow's Giants-Cardinals game... meaning the focus will be more on OBP, OPS, WHIP, etc... Rob Neyer (an early sabermetric supporter) will be featured. Should be a good telecast. Great to see FS1 innovating, and it'd be nice to see it carry over into our hoops games.

Fox Sports back in the day was the first station to display (during live action) the score/ inning/ outs/ count/ baserunners in their baseball, and the score/ time/ etc during football and basketball.

Seems impossible nowadays to watch a game without the score display box, but before that innovation viewers would have to wait for a commercial or a score to get the game info displayed... as kids, if we joined a Red Sox home game mid-inning, we would hope that the batter would fly to left so that we could get a glimpse of the scoreboard...!

Here's an article on FS1's idea:
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/on- ... broadcast/

I think a lot of folks will cringe with the sabermetrics. I think more are going to watch the game on Fox and forget about FS1 quite frankly. I remember a few years ago how folks cringed with the Felix Hernandez Cy Young win.

I don't think this is anywhere near in the same realm as the score/etc. quite frankly. It's painful watching a game broadcast years ago w/o the score box.

Did Fox come up with the 1st down line? I can't remember(that's another one that has changed things big time)
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board