Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby xman » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:01 pm

I have changed to FS1 exclusively and think the product is just as good as ESPN. The only difference I bet for a lot of casual fans is that they "know" the ESPN personalities better.
xman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:16 pm

xman wrote:I have changed to FS1 exclusively and think the product is just as good as ESPN. The only difference I bet for a lot of casual fans is that they "know" the ESPN personalities better.

I've switched to FS1 and FS-Live for general sports news too.

I think ESPN World Cup coverage and analysis was terrible... we ended up watching Univision coverage, and i cant speak Spanish... ESPN had Mike Tirico as the lead guy... nice guy but knows very little about soccer... same with Bob Ley... plus at the 60th and 85th minute of the final, in a tie game, in a time of intense pressure, where the true world championship was on the line, ESPN was hocking their upcoming Philadelphia Union match (my son asked me to switch to the English-speaking station)...

ESPN decided that each game needed a "storyline", usually negative... so for example, in the final, they decided that Messi was a failure for not scoring, though he was triple-teamed every time he touched it... clueless about the game, and can't just let them play... believe it or not, before the ESPN-Disney alliance, there was a time when athletes could just compete, and win or lose, and the fans could enjoy watching great athletes... nobody said that players sucked for not winning titles (say Fran Tarkenton or Jim Kelly or Dan Marino) or not making the World Series (say Ernie Banks or Dale Murphy)...

...and on top of that, the color analyst was a complete freakin wet blanket, who continually would act like games were over though tons of time remained... this happened in the USA-Belgium match, though we almost tied it; and in an earlier group game where Italy lost by 1-0 to Costa Rica, you'd have though it was 8-0... clown...

Fox Sports thankfully doesn't do the ESPN stuff I mentioned above.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox...
Providence
billyjack

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:44 am

Anyone have any experience with the Fox Sports Go App? I am thinking about cutting the cord and I have a family member who has TWC so I should be able to use their login.

How is the video quality?
Will I be able to watch all BE games?
Will I be able to use a relative's login from my IP address?

Thanks
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Professor_Bulldog » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:28 am

DudeAnon wrote:Anyone have any experience with the Fox Sports Go App? I am thinking about cutting the cord and I have a family member who has TWC so I should be able to use their login.

How is the video quality?
Will I be able to watch all BE games?
Will I be able to use a relative's login from my IP address?

Thanks

The quality is just as good as watchespn or similar platforms.

Being able to watch all BE games depends on the cable package. For example Comcast doesn't carry FS2 yet, so I don't have the option to view that channel within the app but others do. But you should at least get games on fs1.

It shouldn't be a problem. I've done this with many other platforms
Butler '13
Professor_Bulldog

Postby Dew » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:28 pm

billyjack wrote:
xman wrote:I have changed to FS1 exclusively and think the product is just as good as ESPN. The only difference I bet for a lot of casual fans is that they "know" the ESPN personalities better.

ESPN had Mike Tirico as the lead guy... nice guy..

Read the ESPN book and tell me if you feel the same way about Tirico. He's on the list of the all time scumbags in the industry. Skirt chasing while married and even suspended by ESPN for sexual inappropriateness.
Dew

Postby TheHall » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:40 pm

Dew wrote:
billyjack wrote:

ESPN had Mike Tirico as the lead guy... nice guy..

Read the ESPN book and tell me if you feel the same way about Tirico. He's on the list of the all time scumbags in the industry. Skirt chasing while married and even suspended by ESPN for sexual inappropriateness.

"Tirico's period at ESPN has not been without controversy. Two books about the network, ESPN: The Uncensored History (2000) by former New York Times sportswriter Michael Freeman and 2011's These Guys Have All the Fun (by Washington Post writers James Andrew Miller and Tom Shales), recount allegations of sexual harassment. Tirico, for example, was suspended by the network for three months in 1992 for multiple incidents involving attempted groping, sexual solicitation, and stalking of female co-workers."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Tirico

Southern canada drinking water may be to blame...
TheHall

Postby billyjack » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:04 pm

TheHall wrote:
Dew wrote:
billyjack wrote:ESPN had Mike Tirico as the lead guy... nice guy..

"Tirico's period at ESPN has not been without controversy. Two books about the network, ESPN: The Uncensored History (2000) by former New York Times sportswriter Michael Freeman and 2011's These Guys Have All the Fun (by Washington Post writers James Andrew Miller and Tom Shales), recount allegations of sexual harassment. Tirico, for example, was suspended by the network for three months in 1992 for multiple incidents involving attempted groping, sexual solicitation, and stalking of female co-workers."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Tirico

Southern canada drinking water may be to blame...

I'd never heard of that about Tirico... yeesh, the guy must have had a field day in Brazil... lol at "Southern Canada drinking water"...
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:39 am

just was seeing this:
http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/dish-re ... games.html

Sounds like something that could become a major issue. I know fox kind of caved at the last minute to get FS1 on the air. The thing you have to hope doesn't happen is that cable/satelite companies look at the ratings and decide to take a pretty hard line against Fox.
stever20

Postby Chalmers0 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:05 am

http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/fox-spo ... -wasteland

Awful Announcing has had some GREAT pieces up over the last week or 2 outlining Fox Sports 1 since release so I highly suggest reading through them. This just happens to be one of the most recent.
Chalmers0

Postby stever20 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:52 pm

Saw the tv ratings for last week- 1st week we get to see actual comparisons for fs1 to fs1...

Prime time- down 1% from last year 156 k from 157 k
whole day- up 5% from last year 81 k to 85 k

Saw the Rutgers/Wash St game last night- have to say I like the new football graphics they have(better than the Fox NFL I thought). Should translate I'd think pretty good to basketball come November. 10 weeks from today we'll get 1st games...

Also- did see the AAC conference schedule was released yesterday. So we should get the Big East schedule next week(as is normal)
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board