Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby jayelan » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:41 pm

Wouldn't put too much into the first year. Clearly there ae things to be worked out. For example; traveling as much as we do had a hard time finding Fox1 on the hotel channels. Most still refereed to it as speed and some just didn't carry it at all. the same was true for NBCSports and CBSsports. Not everyone carried these channels. I think a lot got lost in the changeover and now that many more people know where FS1 is rating will go up. Still going to be a battle against established ESPN but they didn't get there overnight either. For me I am not totally excited with some of their sports anchors, but then thats me.

Fox might want to come up with some interesting lead in shows. Not into car racing at all or most of their non bball sports, so its not likely I'd have Fox1 on other than to watch a bball game.
jayelan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:16 pm

ta111 wrote:"Nine of the ten least watched games involved a team from the BE". Draw your own conclusions.

Yes, and those games were shown on Fox Sports 2 which no one has.
Jet915

Postby lancelot » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:36 am

jayelan wrote:Wouldn't put too much into the first year. Clearly there ae things to be worked out. For example; traveling as much as we do had a hard time finding Fox1 on the hotel channels. Most still refereed to it as speed and some just didn't carry it at all. the same was true for NBCSports and CBSsports. Not everyone carried these channels. I think a lot got lost in the changeover and now that many more people know where FS1 is rating will go up. Still going to be a battle against established ESPN but they didn't get there overnight either. For me I am not totally excited with some of their sports anchors, but then thats me.

Fox might want to come up with some interesting lead in shows. Not into car racing at all or most of their non bball sports, so its not likely I'd have Fox1 on other than to watch a bball game.

As their live inventory increases and people find FS1, I think they'll do well. I already think their MLB coverage is as good or better than ESPN.
lancelot

Postby LeMoyne00 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:21 pm

jayelan wrote:Fox might want to come up with some interesting lead in shows. Not into car racing at all or most of their non bball sports, so its not likely I'd have Fox1 on other than to watch a bball game.

Here in lies the problem for FS1 and the Big East... racing gets BY FAR the best ratings of any programs on the network and those fans aren't sticking around for Big East basketball. Also the ultimate fights have average ratings twice that of regular season Big East basketball. Again, like racing fans, the fight fans aren't sticking around for other programming. Part of that is no one seems to be buying into their talk/news/score shows... the ratings of those are absolutely HORRIBLE - worse than the old speed daily update. Nothing is just bringing a casual fan to the network to check what is on and nothing is keeping them around. People are tuning into events they know and then tuning the network out. Fox needs to work on that -- solve that -- ratings will drastically improve!
Catholic Basketball Proud... wish we had the Irish!
LeMoyne00

Postby Sactowndog » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:23 am

LeMoyne00 wrote:
jayelan wrote:Fox might want to come up with some interesting lead in shows. Not into car racing at all or most of their non bball sports, so its not likely I'd have Fox1 on other than to watch a bball game.

Here in lies the problem for FS1 and the Big East... racing gets BY FAR the best ratings of any programs on the network and those fans aren't sticking around for Big East basketball. Also the ultimate fights have average ratings twice that of regular season Big East basketball. Again, like racing fans, the fight fans aren't sticking around for other programming. Part of that is no one seems to be buying into their talk/news/score shows... the ratings of those are absolutely HORRIBLE - worse than the old speed daily update. Nothing is just bringing a casual fan to the network to check what is on and nothing is keeping them around. People are tuning into events they know and then tuning the network out. Fox needs to work on that -- solve that -- ratings will drastically improve!

Big East basketball has to be anchor that doesn't require a lead in and currently it is not positioned to do that well.
Sactowndog

Postby BEwannabe » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:00 pm

Sactowndog wrote:
LeMoyne00 wrote:

Big East basketball has to be anchor that doesn't require a lead in and currently it is not positioned to do that well.

The Big East basketball is not anchoring type programming. Fox secured these rights just to have programming and there is a significant diffference. The Big East needs to work on building the best basketball centric confernce they can and can't afford multiple year whiffs. Year 1 = WHIFF.
BEwannabe

Postby HoosierPal » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:00 pm

I have no idea how accurate this is, but it's kind of fun to play with.

http://www.whatyoupayforsports.com/

Click on Fox Sports 1/2. It says of the $13 of your annual cable bill that goes to Fox, only 47 cents is allocated to the Big East.
HoosierPal

Postby Jet915 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:57 pm

HoosierPal wrote:I have no idea how accurate this is, but it's kind of fun to play with.

http://www.whatyoupayforsports.com/

Click on Fox Sports 1/2. It says of the $13 of your annual cable bill that goes to Fox, only 47 cents is allocated to the Big East.

That's pretty cool. 47 cents well spent!
Jet915

Postby Chalmers0 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:46 pm

John Ourand @Ourand_SBJ
FS1's first day of MLB: Dodgers-Giants averaged 421K viewers Saturday -- FS1's fourth most watched show of the week, behind 3 NASCAR events.

I'm still assuming that's quite a bit lower than the execs want it. Not sure what Twins/Indians got, I'm assuming quite a bit lower.
Chalmers0

Postby flyerlax06 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:32 pm

Providence College '10
flyerlax06

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board