Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:41 pm

it's great for hard core fans. But to grow the league, it's got to appeal to more than just hard core fans.

It's not a lock at all that Fox will get Big Ten or NBA. ESPN knows what's going on right now, and if they can shut fox out of those 2 properties- FS1 is in deep trouble. After those 2 it's a long 7-8 years before anything else opens up.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BillikensWin » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:52 pm

This may have been previously answered, but does the Big East FS1 deal give them any crossover with Fox National? That would probably be a game-changer for the Big East, because Fox is a general network.
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

Postby Jet915 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:53 pm

BillikensWin wrote:This may have been previously answered, but does the Big East FS1 deal give them any crossover with Fox National? That would probably be a game-changer for the Big East, because Fox is a general network.

Yes, they showed 2 games on FOX this year.
Jet915

Postby BillikensWin » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:57 pm

Jet915 wrote:
BillikensWin wrote:This may have been previously answered, but does the Big East FS1 deal give them any crossover with Fox National? That would probably be a game-changer for the Big East, because Fox is a general network.

Yes, they showed 2 games on FOX this year.

I think that could be a valuable weapon going forward..especially with Fox's built-in popularity with the NFL going forward. I know FSN does really well in St. Louis, but they are sitting with the Trump Card(s).
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

Postby Xudash » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:01 pm

stever20 wrote:it's great for hard core fans. But to grow the league, it's got to appeal to more than just hard core fans.

It's not a lock at all that Fox will get Big Ten or NBA. ESPN knows what's going on right now, and if they can shut fox out of those 2 properties- FS1 is in deep trouble. After those 2 it's a long 7-8 years before anything else opens up.

Please clarify your point about Fox and the Big Ten conference. Fox is in a joint venture with the Big 10 conference for the Big Ten network.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Jet915 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:05 pm

Xudash wrote:
stever20 wrote:it's great for hard core fans. But to grow the league, it's got to appeal to more than just hard core fans.

Please clarify your point about Fox and the Big Ten conference. Fox is in a joint venture with the Big 10 conference for the Big Ten network.

Even though there are synergies and that Fox owns half of the Big Ten Network, it's just stever being negative. I highly doubt Fox gets shut out of the Big Ten, my guess is they will split the Big Ten with ESPN like they do the Pac-12.
Jet915

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:46 pm

Xudash wrote:

If ESPN puts the $$$ up Big Ten will go with that. $$$ talks. It's all business. Big Ten isn't going to do Fox a solid if that's what you are trying to infer. Fox owns the Big Ten NETWORK, not the Big Ten CONFERENCE. HUGE difference there...
stever20

Postby NJRedman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:59 pm

Jet915 wrote:
Xudash wrote:

Even though there are synergies and that Fox owns half of the Big Ten Network, it's just stever being negative. I highly doubt Fox gets shut out of the Big Ten, my guess is they will split the Big Ten with ESPN like they do the Pac-12.

Exactly, if anyone who has ever payed attention to Fox at all knows that they do NOT like to lose and will spend whatever it takes to become competitive. Fox NEEDS a piece of both of them or they will not succeed. They know that. ESPN doesn't need those products to continue to exist. That is a big difference but Stever doesn't understand the idea of survival and the companies that are involved here. This isn't NBC we're talking about who is always skittish to over pay for anything. Fox over paid for us, why not over pay for the B1G or NBA?
NJRedman

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:10 pm

ESPN though now can see what is going on with Fox. ESPN if they can keep Big Ten and NBA away from Fox pretty much eliminates Fox for a long time, if ever. IF ESPN has a chance to KO Fox, why wouldn't they take the chance to do that?

Also, I would say ESPN needs the NBA quite a lot. They don't have much in spring but that quite frankly. Big Ten maybe less so, but I just don't see Big Ten leaving ESPN at all...
stever20

Postby Jet915 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:02 am

stever20 wrote:ESPN though now can see what is going on with Fox. ESPN if they can keep Big Ten and NBA away from Fox pretty much eliminates Fox for a long time, if ever. IF ESPN has a chance to KO Fox, why wouldn't they take the chance to do that?

Also, I would say ESPN needs the NBA quite a lot. They don't have much in spring but that quite frankly. Big Ten maybe less so, but I just don't see Big Ten leaving ESPN at all...

I don't think the Big Ten will leave ESPN either but I also see that they will likely split the games with FOX the way they do it with the Pac-12. There are just too many synergies with Fox and the BIG, as long as the money is the same (and we know Fox has deep pockets), they will get a share of the BIG.
Jet915

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board