Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby HoosierPal » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:23 am

stever20 wrote:the year before same time(actually 30 minutes later)- the game got a 2.1 rating.

So 2.1 last year, 0.5 this year? Ouch. What am I missing?
HoosierPal

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:23 am

stever20 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:The one benefit of FS1 right now atleast is that almost ALL of our games are on national TV. Not just the conference games, the OOC games against crappy MEAC/SWAC teams are being shown. Sure, that kills the ratings but family members of recruits can see almost all the games of their kid on TV (not ESPN3).

The danger for us will be next year, does Fox put more and more of those games on FS2 or FSN. Also, will the schools schedule more home and homes, which would force more road games that aren't controlled by Fox?

Well, until FS1 gets another commodity like B1G (which would probably be a good thing), I don't see why FS1 would put us on FS2 or FSN. They really have nothing else to show between January-March. Home and homes also might not be a bad thing either, usually that means it will be a marquee opponent. I think Fox would rather have Syracuse vs. St. John's once rather than St. Johns vs. MEAC twice.
Jet915

Postby Jet915 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:23 am

HoosierPal wrote:
stever20 wrote:the year before same time(actually 30 minutes later)- the game got a 2.1 rating.

So 2.1 last year, 0.5 this year? Ouch. What am I missing?

NETWORK. If you look at the ratings, ESPN (main channel) generally gets about 4-8x the viewership of FS1 currently in primetime.
Last edited by Jet915 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jet915

Postby HoosierPal » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:26 am

Another issue is what Fox Sports will show from April thru football season. They didn't have that total amount of time to fill last year. Big East baseball won't draw much outside of Omaha. (Hey, how about adding Wichita State - they have a solid baseball program!)
HoosierPal

Postby stever20 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:27 am

Jet915 wrote:
stever20 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:The one benefit of FS1 right now atleast is that almost ALL of our games are on national TV. Not just the conference games, the OOC games against crappy MEAC/SWAC teams are being shown. Sure, that kills the ratings but family members of recruits can see almost all the games of their kid on TV (not ESPN3).

The danger for us will be next year, does Fox put more and more of those games on FS2 or FSN. Also, will the schools schedule more home and homes, which would force more road games that aren't controlled by Fox?

Well, until FS1 gets another commodity like B1G (which would probably be a good thing), I don't see why FS1 would put us on FS2 or FSN. They really have nothing else to show between January-March. Home and homes also might not be a bad thing either, usually that means it will be a marquee opponent. I think Fox would rather have Syracuse vs. St. John's once rather than St. Johns vs. MEAC twice.

I wasn't talking about the conference games, but rather the crappy OOC games. I think a lot more of those will be on FS2 or FSN.
stever20

Postby Jet915 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:37 am

HoosierPal wrote:Another issue is what Fox Sports will show from April thru football season. They didn't have that total amount of time to fill last year. Big East baseball won't draw much outside of Omaha. (Hey, how about adding Wichita State - they have a solid baseball program!)

MLB, Nascar, US Open and World Cup although not all this year.
Jet915

Postby Jet915 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:38 am

What else are they gonna show instead? Other than UFC on Wednesday and occasionally the weekend and some college football winding down in November, FS1 has no programing during this time period.
Jet915

Postby Jet915 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:11 pm

I know FS1 has developed the reputation of poor ratings but the last couple weeks have been pretty good:

FS1: 425,000 (primetime)/151,000 (total day)
ESPN2: 418,000 (primetime)/259,000 (total day)

I think a realistic goal would be to match ESPN2 in the ratings department year round within the next couple of years. I think it's doable. MLB is starting next week which should only help.
Jet915

Postby NJRedman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:27 pm

I moved from NYC to LA at the end of the summer and I was very happy i was able to get to watch EVERY SINGLE GAME my Johnnies played. It was awesome. I couldn't care less how low the ratings were, I got to watch my team play. I'm not worried, because I know Fox will open up the checkbook to get at least a piece of the B1G package and might even end up with some of the NBA deal as well.
NJRedman

Postby Jet915 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:29 pm

NJRedman wrote:I moved from NYC to LA at the end of the summer and I was very happy i was able to get to watch EVERY SINGLE GAME my Johnnies played. It was awesome. I couldn't care less how low the ratings were, I got to watch my team play. I'm not worried, because I know Fox will open up the checkbook to get at least a piece of the B1G package and might even end up with some of the NBA deal as well.

Waiting for stever to rebuff this...........
Jet915

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board