Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby HoosierPal » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:20 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:
Sometimes you get off topic BM. Please give me a one word answer: Yes or No, Providence v Creighton will draw just as well or better than Villanova v Creighton. Obviously we'll never know, but you have drifted off point.

Nope. Not going to be sucked in.

The point in the post to which I responded was that casual fans don't even know where Providence is.

Frankly. Casual fans are probably only watching the conference that they root for. So, it doesn't really matter what fans in Miami, Dallas, or LA know or don't know. I'd be shocked if casual fans inChicago don't know where Providence is since the team has been coming to town every year for most of the past decade. Casual fans of the Big East will tune in regardless of who's playing in the finals.

You act like we're talking about a group of mid majors that no one' sever heard of before. Providence has been a member of one of college basketball's most prominent conferences for the past 35 years. I think that casual fans know very well who they are. Although they've been pretty much down for the past decade, any fan older than 35 who follows college basketball is capable of remembering them as a program from the 1987-97 era that went to a Final Four (1987), won a Big East championship (1994), and went to an Elite 8 (1997). Fans over 50 will remember them as the most consistent and successful program in the 1960's and 1970's. Just check their number of top 20 appearances in those 2 decades.

How many programs can say the same? What reasons have most programs from the ACC after UNC and Duke given anyone a reason to know who they are? Or in the SEC, after Kentucky and Florida? Same in the Big XII after Kansas or in the PAC-12 after UCLA or Arizona.

I thought that casual fans like watching good basketball. Providence brings not only a good team to the championship game but a player who was the conference's leading scorer last year and who is the conference's assists leader this year. They bring one of the few teams who beat Creighton this year, setting up a David vs Goliath matchup, which is what most casual fans love about March Madness.

Casual fans who only tune in at this time of year are often watching games this weekend to prepare the brackets sheets that they're going to fill out over the next few days. They are scouting teams precisely so they can find teams of pulling off upsets when the tournament starts in less than a week. The Big east finals gives them the opportunity to see just such a team. This is not a regular season game that only draws ratings if a game can tear people away from their usual routines. This is the beginning of March Madness. This is the Big East finals, a tournament that casual fans are very used to watching.

Okay, another drifting response. I guess you don't know what Yes or No means.

You changed the topic, and I'm somewhat interested in your answer to the original topic.

Last chance, does Providence = Villanova in the eyes of the viewing nation? But really, I understand, you would rather flame on then answer.

It's okay for you to give the last response.
HoosierPal

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby HoosierPal » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:23 pm

billyjack wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:
billyjack wrote:First of all it's your opinion. Secondly, the National Player of the Year is running around.
ESPN was praying for a Duke-Syracuse semi, and a UNC-Duke-SU final, and that went to pot. Do you think someone in Chicago or Denver feels like watching Virginia-Pitt play another 45-44 game? Or McDermott put up 45 by himself?

Your statement doesn't matter. McDermott is playing no matter if it is Providence or Villanova. People who want to watch him will watch him no matter who is on another network.

So you really think that Providence - Creighton will draw an equal audience to what Villanova-Creighton would have. Good for you. When you take off your Blue Colored Big East glasses you might find out that there is a significant difference between the national recognition of Villanova and Providence.

Straw man argument. Irrelevant question. You introduce something that isnt an issue, and then demand an answer. Read what Bill Marsh wrote.

I did. He likes to drift with the wind and can't answer a simple question.

No one can give a straight answer to the issue of whether Providence draws national attention as well as Villanova?
HoosierPal

Postby NJRedman » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:28 pm

HoosierPal wrote:
billyjack wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:
Your statement doesn't matter. McDermott is playing no matter if it is Providence or Villanova. People who want to watch him will watch him no matter who is on another network.

So you really think that Providence - Creighton will draw an equal audience to what Villanova-Creighton would have. Good for you. When you take off your Blue Colored Big East glasses you might find out that there is a significant difference between the national recognition of Villanova and Providence.

Straw man argument. Irrelevant question. You introduce something that isnt an issue, and then demand an answer. Read what Bill Marsh wrote.

I did. He likes to drift with the wind and can't answer a simple question.

No one can give a straight answer to the issue of whether Providence draws national attention as well as Villanova?

who gives a shit? Should we just have the two biggest name teams play for the title every year?
NJRedman

Postby Bill Marsh » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:37 pm

HoosierPal wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:
Sometimes you get off topic BM. Please give me a one word answer: Yes or No, Providence v Creighton will draw just as well or better than Villanova v Creighton. Obviously we'll never know, but you have drifted off point.

Nope. Not going to be sucked in.

The point in the post to which I responded was that casual fans don't even know where Providence is.

Frankly. Casual fans are probably only watching the conference that they root for. So, it doesn't really matter what fans in Miami, Dallas, or LA know or don't know. I'd be shocked if casual fans inChicago don't know where Providence is since the team has been coming to town every year for most of the past decade. Casual fans of the Big East will tune in regardless of who's playing in the finals.

You act like we're talking about a group of mid majors that no one' sever heard of before. Providence has been a member of one of college basketball's most prominent conferences for the past 35 years. I think that casual fans know very well who they are. Although they've been pretty much down for the past decade, any fan older than 35 who follows college basketball is capable of remembering them as a program from the 1987-97 era that went to a Final Four (1987), won a Big East championship (1994), and went to an Elite 8 (1997). Fans over 50 will remember them as the most consistent and successful program in the 1960's and 1970's. Just check their number of top 20 appearances in those 2 decades.

How many programs can say the same? What reasons have most programs from the ACC after UNC and Duke given anyone a reason to know who they are? Or in the SEC, after Kentucky and Florida? Same in the Big XII after Kansas or in the PAC-12 after UCLA or Arizona.

I thought that casual fans like watching good basketball. Providence brings not only a good team to the championship game but a player who was the conference's leading scorer last year and who is the conference's assists leader this year. They bring one of the few teams who beat Creighton this year, setting up a David vs Goliath matchup, which is what most casual fans love about March Madness.

Casual fans who only tune in at this time of year are often watching games this weekend to prepare the brackets sheets that they're going to fill out over the next few days. They are scouting teams precisely so they can find teams of pulling off upsets when the tournament starts in less than a week. The Big east finals gives them the opportunity to see just such a team. This is not a regular season game that only draws ratings if a game can tear people away from their usual routines. This is the beginning of March Madness. This is the Big East finals, a tournament that casual fans are very used to watching.

Okay, another drifting response. I guess you don't know what Yes or No means.

You changed the topic, and I'm somewhat interested in your answer to the original topic.

Last chance, does Providence = Villanova in the eyes of the viewing nation? But really, I understand, you would rather flame on then answer.

It's okay for you to give the last response.

Look, bud, it's simple. You were baiting me. I wouldn't take the bait.

You're the one who changed the subject, not me. I responded to a post about who's ever heard of Providence and where they were. I didn't want to be dragged into a topic I wasn't involved in.

To be honest, I have no idea what the answer to your question is. I have absolutely no expertise in TV ratings. I tried to explain what factors are involved when we're talking about a game in March. Beyond that, I have no opinion on it and really don't care about it. All I know is that I'm interested in the game and am watching it.
Bill Marsh

Postby Jet915 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:27 am

Who knows what the ratings would have been for Villanova vs. Creighton but there were compelling reasons to watch the game last night. PC was a bubble team and Creighton has the NPOY. You also have Gus Johnson calling the game, MSG and a game that went down to the wire at the end. I doubt ESPN was jumping for joy having Iowa State play Baylor for the Big XII championship.
Jet915

Postby bmorex » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:13 pm

Why isn't FS1 having any sort of bracket reveal or discussion show?

Real big lost opportunity, IMO.
bmorex

Postby Jet915 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:56 pm

Fox Sports 1 announced a new show called "America's Pregame" with Mike Hill hosting at 6 ET. Good move, I think they needed a sportscenter type show in the late afternoon before all the nightly sporting events. Hopefully, they will eventually have a morning show as well.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/03/17/americas-pregame-to-premiere-monday-april-7-on-fox-sports-1/245384/
Jet915

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:14 pm

Jet915 wrote:Fox Sports 1 announced a new show called "America's Pregame" with Mike Hill hosting at 6 ET. Good move, I think they needed a sportscenter type show in the late afternoon before all the nightly sporting events. Hopefully, they will eventually have a morning show as well.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/03/17/americas-pregame-to-premiere-monday-april-7-on-fox-sports-1/245384/

Totally agree with you. Great move. Just wonder come football season what will happen. Will they move the Fox Football Daily to 5pm?
stever20

Postby Chalmers0 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:33 pm

stever20 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:Fox Sports 1 announced a new show called "America's Pregame" with Mike Hill hosting at 6 ET. Good move, I think they needed a sportscenter type show in the late afternoon before all the nightly sporting events. Hopefully, they will eventually have a morning show as well.

Totally agree with you. Great move. Just wonder come football season what will happen. Will they move the Fox Football Daily to 5pm?

Per Awful Announcing, Fox Football Daily is getting the ax and there are no current plans to bring it back. I would not have guessed that would get the ax before Crowd Goes Wild
Chalmers0

Postby kellernr » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:39 pm

Fox Sports needs to have non HD channels like espn. RIght now I can have the main tv with a cable box and still get the espn channels on my basic TVs that are just plugged into the cable jack on the wall.
Lets Go X!
kellernr

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board