Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby admin » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:33 pm

Jet915 wrote:FS1 doing better in the ratings department.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2014/03/03/Media/Fox-Sports-1.aspx

It's good to see that. Obviously Fox is in this for the long haul and while it will take some time for audiences to increase, as a Big East fan first and foremost, this was the best season ever for watching hoops.
admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby LeMoyne00 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:22 am

7-9pm EST cable prime time does not make a network... the fact that their total day ratings (adding prime time #'s to those of the rest of the day) are really no greater than Speed is disturbing and can't be something they're doing back-flips over, considering the amount of money they've spent.
Catholic Basketball Proud... wish we had the Irish!
LeMoyne00

Postby CPJays » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:07 pm

So you leave the Creighton game with 3 mins left in the game in Omaha? Way to be FS1, class act.
CPJays

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:34 am

CPJays wrote:So you leave the Creighton game with 3 mins left in the game in Omaha? Way to be FS1, class act.

Fox threw Cox Cable in Omaha under the bus with their press release today. It wasn't FS1 as other providers on Omaha still had the game live.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby HoosierPal » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:23 am

Unfortunate that a Providence - Creighton game won't have the same national draw that a Villanova - Creighton game would have had. Non Big East fans won't tune in.
HoosierPal

Postby anXUfan » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:53 am

Disagree. The fact that some consider Providence to still be on the bubble makes the game more compelling.
anXUfan

Postby HoosierPal » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:29 am

anXUfan wrote:Disagree. The fact that some consider Providence to still be on the bubble makes the game more compelling.

The casual basketball fan in Dallas, Miami, LA, or even Chicago likely has no idea where Providence College is located, or really cares about them.

In parallel, I assume you will be watching the Duke / NC State game with the same level of attention that you would have a Syracuse / Duke rematch. Not the same is it. I won't even be watching that ACC battle but would have for the 'tiebreaker'.

I hope you are right, but I seriously doubt that the Fox Sports execs are giving each other Five Highs on showing a PC/Creighton game instead of a Villanova/Creighton game.
HoosierPal

Postby LeMoyne00 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:07 pm

I will be at the game and will cheer on Providence, but I don't care a bit about this game... besides hoping to see Creighton lose because of the action of some of their fans to my wife last night - this sparks zero interest in me and if I didn't have tickets, I wouldn't be watching.

Providence hasn't been in this situation since 1994, that's 20 years ago... some of the players weren't even born - a whole generation is oblivious to Friars Big East relevance and success - that doesn't make them a must watch or even on the radar for many.

I'll be in a bar with my wife watching the UConn-Louisville game and then when that is over, we'll head into the Garden to watch the game tonight which I hope is a good game - a blowout won't help anyone.
Catholic Basketball Proud... wish we had the Irish!
LeMoyne00

Postby billyjack » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:25 pm

LeMoyne00 wrote:I will be at the game and will cheer on Providence, but I don't care a bit about this game... besides hoping to see Creighton lose because of the action of some of their fans to my wife last night - this sparks zero interest in me and if I didn't have tickets, I wouldn't be watching.

Providence hasn't been in this situation since 1994, that's 20 years ago... some of the players weren't even born - a whole generation is oblivious to Friars Big East relevance and success - that doesn't make them a must watch or even on the radar for many.

I'll be in a bar with my wife watching the UConn-Louisville game and then when that is over, we'll head into the Garden to watch the game tonight which I hope is a good game - a blowout won't help anyone.

I think that you're deliberately trying to have a bad time.

You have tickets to the final in MSG. You can watch the 2 leading scorers in the conference. One team is ranked #13 with the NPOY. The other has overcome injuries and suspensions and has played a 6-man lineup all year. So big deal, some idiot who lives in Possum Hollow Texas can't locate Providence, a capital city, on a map...

So, have a nice dinner with your wife, enjoy the game, watch the Dave Gavitt Trophy be handed out and nets cut down, then afterward relax and go out for dessert and some music, and later in the hotel jump on each other like sea otters.
Providence
billyjack

Postby HoosierPal » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:43 pm

billyjack wrote:
So big deal, some idiot who lives in Possum Hollow Texas can't locate Providence, a capital city, on a map...

Oh, okay, so viewership numbers don't matter to Fox. I didn't know that. But I'm sure Fox agrees with you.

I thought Fox was in this to make money. Every TV dialed onto Fox Sports counts my friend. Maybe you need to go back and take a refresher in Econ 100.

So Providence + Creighton = Villanova + Creighton in your world?
HoosierPal

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board