If Wichita St. runs the table, do they deserve a #1 seed?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: If Wichita St. runs the table, do they deserve a #1 seed

Postby billyjack » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am

The '91 UNLV Runnin Rebels were the last team to be undefeated heading into the tournament.

Prior to UNLV, the next most recent team to do this was Indiana State with Larry Bird in '79.

I think I've mentioned this before, but since it's kind of part of this discussion:
I was 10 back then in '79 for the Bird team, but remember (and was reminded by my brother) that Indiana State had no nationally televised games back then, until I think their final regular season game. So nobody outside of MVC fans really knew ISU or had ever seen Bird play. We'd get blurbs in Sports Illustrated, and there was also (like today) a huge debate about whether they deserved a high ranking. Anyway, for that last MVC game, NBC sent I think Enberg and Al McGuire out to Terre Haute (it was a big deal for us college basketball fans... several cousins came over the house to watch with us :) ), where they were hosting Wichita State. Wichita State's best player was "Cheese" Johnson (great name). Bird was dominant, and there was no real way Cheese Johnson could've led WSU to victory. For years after this, anytime we'd play hoops in the backyard, one of us would pretend to be Cheese Johnson.

Anyway, looking at the 79 tourney, the Regional Final was against Arkansas with Sidney Moncrief. That was the real surprise win... going in vs Arkansas, I think most thought that ISU would finally turn into a pumpkin, as Enberg used to say.

Anyway, I think WSU here in '14 deserves a #1 seed.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Sumdumguy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:16 pm

Our opinions of where WSU should be seeded are all hypothetical. Their season has been radical, historical, even mystical. It is typical for fans to be skeptical about the mythical. Call me cynical, but our arguments have been cyclical to the point of being comical. My opinion may be critical, but I admit it is optical. Others choose to cite the logical and still more the statistical. I might be fanatical, but hardly diabolical. You may see my arguments as illogical or paradoxical. What it come down to it what the committee decides to be ethical. No doubt WSU's season, so far, has been atypical. The tournament is sure to be theatrical. In the end we will see if this year's WSU team will be magical.
Sumdumguy

Postby theNEWbigeast » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:38 pm

Sumdumguy wrote:Our opinions of where WSU should be seeded are all hypothetical. Their season has been radical, historical, even mystical. It is typical for fans to be skeptical about the mythical. Call me cynical, but our arguments have been cyclical to the point of being comical. My opinion may be critical, but I admit it is optical. Others choose to cite the logical and still more the statistical. I might be fanatical, but hardly diabolical. You may see my arguments as illogical or paradoxical. What it come down to it what the committee decides to be ethical. No doubt WSU's season, so far, has been atypical. The tournament is sure to be theatrical. In the end we will see if this year's WSU team will be magical.

This post made me want to punch myself in the testicle.

By the way, there was nothing grammatically incorrect about my sentence. It read a little awkward, but grammatically, it was fine. Nothing better than someone playing grammar hero - and being wrong about it!

"Villinova" however - not good.
theNEWbigeast

Postby Sumdumguy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:52 pm

Again, I apologize for my grammar being so much worse than yours. We must just say things differently.
Sumdumguy

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:55 pm

Sumdumguy wrote:Our opinions of where WSU should be seeded are all hypothetical. Their season has been radical, historical, even mystical. It is typical for fans to be skeptical about the mythical. Call me cynical, but our arguments have been cyclical to the point of being comical. My opinion may be critical, but I admit it is optical. Others choose to cite the logical and still more the statistical. I might be fanatical, but hardly diabolical. You may see my arguments as illogical or paradoxical. What it come down to it what the committee decides to be ethical. No doubt WSU's season, so far, has been atypical. The tournament is sure to be theatrical. In the end we will see if this year's WSU team will be magical.

Is that you, Clyde? :lol:
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:01 pm

Randy wrote:In the end, my philosophy is that the players (not coaches, administration, etc.) should dictate 100% of the seeding. Not 99%, but 100%. If Wichita does not lose, the players literally could have done nothing else to earn a 1 seed. I don't think you could take that away from them. Every other discussion about how they would preform in other conferences is 100% in the hypothetical.

How can anyone "take away from them" something they never had in the first place.

And once they've got "it" (#1 seed), what have they got anyway? Nothing but an opportunity. Which is exactly the same thing they had last year with a #9 seed. Or would have this year with a #2 seed.

Just doesn't seem like that big a deal.
Bill Marsh

Postby Randy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:15 pm

I agree its not that big of a deal, but the conversation has been going on for a while.

FWIW, Kansas, Syracuse, etc. would also have the same opportunity as a #2 seed.
Randy

Postby whiteandblue77 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:18 pm

Holy crap, were you just listening to "The Logical Song" by Supertramp? When i was young It seemed that life was so wonderful; A miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical; But then they sent me away To teach me how to be sensible,logical, oh responsible, practical, so dependable, oh clinical, oh intellectual, cynical I hate that song...
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby Sumdumguy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:56 pm

theNEWbigeast wrote:

This post made me want to punch myself in the testicle.

Testicle doesn't really fit in with my post. Your error was tactical and your tone quizzical. Our views are not empirical, instead they seem more satirical. This post is more rhetorical than didactical. Your posts seem whimsical. It remains to be seen if the value of an undefeated season is intrinsical, or if the system is political. Either way, the tournament will surely be hysterical. And after this season, Gregg Marshall should take a sabbatical.
Sumdumguy

Postby whiteandblue77 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:33 pm

You are incorrigible and don't even know the meaning of the word.
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board