If Wichita St. runs the table, do they deserve a #1 seed?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: If Wichita St. runs the table, do they deserve a #1 seed

Postby Sumdumguy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:03 pm

I guess the question that the committee may ask and that I would ask would be "what are WSU's impressive wins this year?" So if you think they should be in, rank their top five wins in order. The NCSOS of 35 is unbelievable to me, and not in the amazing way, more of a 'what numbers did they have to include and leave out to get that number' kind of way. No one can take being undefeated this late in the season away from them, but no one is going to force me to be impressed by beating the teams they have beaten. It's a stalemate that the committee will have the obligation to settle.
Sumdumguy

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:11 pm

Sumdumguy wrote:I guess the question that the committee may ask and that I would ask would be "what are WSU's impressive wins this year?" So if you think they should be in, rank their top five wins in order. The NCSOS of 35 is unbelievable to me, and not in the amazing way, more of a 'what numbers did they have to include and leave out to get that number' kind of way. No one can take being undefeated this late in the season away from them, but no one is going to force me to be impressed by beating the teams they have beaten. It's a stalemate that the committee will have the obligation to settle.

SLU #12 (road)
BYU #33 (neutral)
Tennessee 60
Tulsa #108(road)
Alabama #117(road)

only 2 teams outside the top 150(DePaul is their 3rd worst OOC game). So not many great teams, but very few dogs either.
stever20

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:14 pm

Sumdumguy wrote:I guess the question that the committee may ask and that I would ask would be "what are WSU's impressive wins this year?" So if you think they should be in, rank their top five wins in order. The NCSOS of 35 is unbelievable to me, and not in the amazing way, more of a 'what numbers did they have to include and leave out to get that number' kind of way. No one can take being undefeated this late in the season away from them, but no one is going to force me to be impressed by beating the teams they have beaten. It's a stalemate that the committee will have the obligation to settle.

Based on current RPI, their top 5 wins are:

12 - @St Louis
33 - BYU
59 - @Indiana State
59 - Indiana State
60 - Tennessee
Bill Marsh

Postby Sumdumguy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:03 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:

Based on current RPI, their top 5 wins are:

12 - @St Louis
33 - BYU
59 - @Indiana State
59 - Indiana State
60 - Tennessee

Sumdumguy

Postby theNEWbigeast » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:16 pm

You're not impressed, but is it really that worse than Creighton's when you line up the numbers for the Top 5 victories?

#4 - Villanova (twice)
#32 - Arizona State
#38 - St. Joseph
#46 - Nebraska
#51 - California

I know that Creighton's is better, but side-by-side, not that much better - at least not as "unimpressive" as so many are saying. Go to any other team in the Top 10. I did. They usually have one or two top 20 wins, and wins in that 30-60 range, for their Top 5 VICTORIES.
theNEWbigeast

Postby Jays26 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:24 pm

theNEWbigeast wrote:You're not impressed, but is it really that worse than Creighton's when you line up the numbers for the Top 5 victories?

#4 - Villanova (twice)
#32 - Arizona State
#38 - St. Joseph
#46 - Nebraska
#51 - California

I know that Creighton's is better, but side-by-side, not that much better - at least not as "unimpressive" as so many are saying. Go to any other team in the Top 10. I did. They usually have one or two top 20 wins, and wins in that 30-60 range, for their Top 5 VICTORIES.

For one thing, you did it wrong. Top 5 for the Jays would be:

And then let's look at the overall schedule, Shockers are no where close to the Jays.
Jays26

Postby Sumdumguy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:30 pm

And I don't think the Jays are a 1 seed either. See how that works?
Sumdumguy

Postby theNEWbigeast » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:49 pm

Okay then, go to the other projected top seeds and see if they're drastically different. They're not.

Jays26, this isn't about overall schedule. Creighton destroys WSU there. Almost every Top 25 team does. It's about this weird argument that Sumdumbuy brought up, which is pretty easily refuted.
theNEWbigeast

Postby Sumdumguy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:31 pm

Saying that the committee might look at the lack of impressive wins is a weird argument? Did you just start following college basketball? It's a valid point. I didn't say WSU won't get a one seed, I almost guarantee the committee brings up the lack of big wins when discussing WSU's résumé. How much will they punish them for their schedule? Your guess is as good as mine.

Teams with more impressive(to me) OOC wins include, but are not limited to, Arizona, Florida, Syracuse, Creighton and Villinova. Who will be the #1s? I don't know, but after conference records are included in the discussion it is absolutely possible that WSU will be left off the first line.
Sumdumguy

Postby Randy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:35 pm

The last undefeated team was St. Joe's exactly ten years ago. And they lost in their Conference tournament. Since then, 3,300 (very rough estimate) college basketball teams have played entire seasons. Exactly 0 of them have gone undefeated. Its an incredibly difficult feat, and a feat that deserves a #1 seed in my opinion.

Either way, the lowest they would be is a 2 seed, and would still have a chance to prove the doubters wrong on the court, which is they beauty of college basketball.
Randy

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board