If Wichita St. runs the table, do they deserve a #1 seed?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: If Wichita St. runs the table, do they deserve a #1 seed

Postby stever20 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:48 am

XUFan09 wrote:FWIW Wichita State's expected non-conference SOS is 42. That's pretty solid.

better than all Big East teams except for Villanova(39) and Georgetown(33) Also, better than Syracuse(109).
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:30 pm

Would love to face these guys in the tourney actually if they are a 1 seed. Being undefeated and a mid-major #1 seed seems like an awful lot of pressure to me. How do they respond when down double digits in the 2nd half? Do they feel like they are representing mid-majors everywhere and start getting a little tight? Last year they had a very nice run but I wouldn't call their draw difficult...more like fortunate.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby handdownmandown » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:12 pm

Mentioning that their draw in the Tourney was 'fortunate' on a public message board is akin to tying a pork chop around your neck and jumping into a junkyard.

Just thought you should be warned.
handdownmandown

Postby whiteandblue77 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:34 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Being undefeated and a mid-major #1 seed seems like an awful lot of pressure to me. How do they respond when down double digits in the 2nd half? Do they feel like they are representing mid-majors everywhere and start getting a little tight?

Don't bait me Gumby! That is exactly why Mid-Majors love to play BCS football schools. :lol:
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:16 am

XUFan09 wrote:FWIW Wichita State's expected non-conference SOS is 42. That's pretty solid.

Can you provide a link for that?

I've got an expected SOS for them at 104 per www.rpiforecast.com/index2.html
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:26 am

stever20 wrote:

better than all Big East teams except for Villanova(39) and Georgetown(33) Also, better than Syracuse(109).

Exactly what is the significance of this esoteric fact?
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:26 am

Deleted.
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:28 am

Bill Marsh wrote:

Can you provide a link for that?

I've got an expected SOS for them at 104 per http://www.rpiforecast.com/index2.html

Sorry. I got it now. I see that you're focusing on NON-CONFERENCE only. Why?
Bill Marsh

Postby Westbrook36 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:10 am

If the Shockers go 34-0 they deserve a number 1 seed, St. Joe's had a similar season and got rewarded with a #1. With that said, I agree with whoever said earlier in the thread, that while they may get a #1 seed they aren't one of the top 4 teams in the country, IMO. I think WSU is going to find the tournament much more difficult this year and it has nothing to do with their draw, this year they will have a big old target on their back. They won't be flying under the radar as some 8 or 9 seed this year, no one is going to be sleeping on them.
Villanova
Westbrook36

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:49 am

Westbrook36 wrote:If the Shockers go 34-0 they deserve a number 1 seed, St. Joe's had a similar season and got rewarded with a #1. With that said, I agree with whoever said earlier in the thread, that while they may get a #1 seed they aren't one of the top 4 teams in the country, IMO. I think WSU is going to find the tournament much more difficult this year and it has nothing to do with their draw, this year they will have a big old target on their back. They won't be flying under the radar as some 8 or 9 seed this year, no one is going to be sleeping on them.

Sorry, but they will not deserve a #1 seed. The only thing that their season has in common with that St. Joe's team is that both have undefeated regular seasons. Even after their loss in the A10 tournament and their loss in the Elite 8, St. Joe's still had an RPI of #3 and their SOS was 46th. Their A10 schedule included Xavier, a team that went to the Elite 8 that year.

Wichita State currently has an RPI of #7 and a SOS of #90. Even with an undefeated season their SOS is expected to drop further to #104 due to the weakness of the remaining MVC teams on their schedule.

Big difference between giving a #1 seed to a team with a top 50 SOS and one that isn't even in the top 100.
Bill Marsh

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board