Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby Chalmers0 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:05 pm

I think the NBA would be a really nice boost. Big Ten wouldn't hurt either, obviously, but they do already have at least some college football/basketball inventory. NBA would open up the channel to a whole new audience, which I think would be huge, similar to what I'm thinking MLB coverage may do here in the spring/summer.
Chalmers0

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Chalmers0 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:57 pm

Not good. The Super Bowl coverage should have been a huge opp for FS1, like mentioned at the end of the article getting live events that are in high demand is going to be the only way to bring the viewers.

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2014/feb ... um=twitter
Chalmers0

Postby HoosierPal » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:10 pm

Chalmers0 wrote:I think the NBA would be a really nice boost. Big Ten wouldn't hurt either, obviously, but they do already have at least some college football/basketball inventory. NBA would open up the channel to a whole new audience, which I think would be huge, similar to what I'm thinking MLB coverage may do here in the spring/summer.

Fox already covers a lot of NBA. The Pacers are on Fox Midwest every game unless they are picked up by NBC, CBS or ESPN's national game. Until Fox Sports 1 upgrades their technical and engineering skills, (missed shots, wrong camera angles, bad announcers, etc.) it would be a mistake for the NBA to jump into Fox Sports 1 and dump out of their regional networks. Those regional networks have all the kinks worked out and provide a quality product.

The Big Ten already has the Big Ten Network, which covers the footprint of the Big Ten.
HoosierPal

Postby SecureDaBall » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:26 pm

HoosierPal wrote:
Chalmers0 wrote:I think the NBA would be a really nice boost. Big Ten wouldn't hurt either, obviously, but they do already have at least some college football/basketball inventory. NBA would open up the channel to a whole new audience, which I think would be huge, similar to what I'm thinking MLB coverage may do here in the spring/summer.

Fox already covers a lot of NBA. The Pacers are on Fox Midwest every game unless they are picked up by NBC, CBS or ESPN's national game. Until Fox Sports 1 upgrades their technical and engineering skills, (missed shots, wrong camera angles, bad announcers, etc.) it would be a mistake for the NBA to jump into Fox Sports 1 and dump out of their regional networks. Those regional networks have all the kinks worked out and provide a quality product.

The Big Ten already has the Big Ten Network, which covers the footprint of the Big Ten.

Those are local market deals. Fox Sports 1 is looking to get those national games. I think the package would be Wed/Fri/Sun. That would be perfect for the BE to fill in the off nights.

B1G would be okay except a deal with them may take away one game a night for the BE.
SecureDaBall

Postby marquette » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:30 pm

HoosierPal wrote:

B1G has too much content for just one channel. That's why you see so many of their games on ESPN. The NBA will go with the highest bidder. That will be their only concern.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Jet915 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:43 pm

NFL Thursday nights would have been the best. Whether is was the money or terms of agreement, they weren't chosen. I doubt Fox would have paid for Thursday night football if the games were simulcast on NFL network. That would have probably cut the ratings in half for FS1. Either way, the next big items are NBA and Big Ten. Hopefully Fox will get one of them. I tend to think they have a good chance getting a split with ESPN for Big Ten given they own half of the Big Ten Network.
Jet915

Postby stever20 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:25 pm

Jet915 wrote:NFL Thursday nights would have been the best. Whether is was the money or terms of agreement, they weren't chosen. I doubt Fox would have paid for Thursday night football if the games were simulcast on NFL network. That would have probably cut the ratings in half for FS1. Either way, the next big items are NBA and Big Ten. Hopefully Fox will get one of them. I tend to think they have a good chance getting a split with ESPN for Big Ten given they own half of the Big Ten Network.

I think the NFL made it pretty clear that the package was going on network TV. Don't think FS1 had any shot of getting it.

Big Ten will be interesting. I don't think it's a guarantee at all that Fox gets Big Ten. I think ESPN will be moving content off of ESPN for the SEC to the new SEC network, so they would have space to place the Big Ten on ESPN for extra games.
stever20

Postby Chalmers0 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:32 am

HoosierPal wrote:

As Stever already mentioned, those are local deals and it is not something FS1 could air if they wanted to. If they could get a package of national games (like TNT or ESPN airs now) with games 2 or 3 nights a week, that would be huge. Also, I know they are planning on doing an MLB weekly show similar to what ESPN has (or had) with live lookins at all MLB games going on that night. That would definitely be a solid NBA program as well.

As for the Big Ten, since this is a basketball board I think we all think about how Big Ten rights would affect the Big East games etc, or at least that was my initial thoughts. The real reason Fox wants the Big Ten is for football. If they can get a Saturday night game of even Wisconsin/Ohio State or Penn State/Michigan, that is going to draw BIG viewers. Obviously basketball would be a nice addition as well, but football is the real target there.

Also as previously, the NFL thursday night package would have been huge if it was just rights to some Thursday night games they could put on FS1, unfortunately it has to go on the main channel and also is being simulcast by NFL Network, getting it for Fox would have largely done nothing for FS1.

Either way, I think it is an absolute MUST for them to land at least one of the NBA or Big Ten. No question about it.
Chalmers0

Postby Jet915 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:50 pm

Michigan State vs. Georgetown pulled in a very good number at 539K. Highest total for a Big East game year to date. Probably due to Michigan State being ranked and Georgetown pulling the upset. St. John's vs. Creighton was next at 124K.
Jet915

Postby BEwannabe » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:33 pm

Jet915 wrote:Michigan State vs. Georgetown pulled in a very good number at 539K. Highest total for a Big East game year to date. Probably due to Michigan State being ranked and Georgetown pulling the upset. St. John's vs. Creighton was next at 124K.

The big audience is the direct result of playing a school with a large alumni base and a national following.
BEwannabe

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board