Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby Omaha1 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:45 am

bmorex wrote:
tsmithohio1234 wrote:As an XU fan, I must say that the new FS1 game announcers and studio talent are third or fourth tier (below CBS national broadcasts, below ESPN, below B10 and Foxsports). The coverage is especially biased to the league trying to create a false narrative to give national status to the likes of SJU, Providence, Marquette etc with current RPI rankings in the 50's or worse. The knowledgeable viewer knows this line is a line of baloney. Fox is continuing to cross promote the Big East on Fox News, Fox Business and Fox and Friends The networks political viewpoint is in sever conflict with the Catholic experience. I doubt that the Nuns on the bus are pleased.

Honestly, what's wrong with fox promoting their sports content on the other channels? It's free advertising for the league. It's not like we are getting Fox News snippets or commercials during a basketball game. So what's the big deal?

I think you are reaching here. I watched the first three games yesterday and did not notice anything that you mention.

He's a Dayton troll who uses a fake fandom to try and disparage everything Big East. Ignore him.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Westbrook36 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:54 pm

Omaha1 wrote:
bmorex wrote:
tsmithohio1234 wrote:As an XU fan, I must say that the new FS1 game announcers and studio talent are third or fourth tier (below CBS national broadcasts, below ESPN, below B10 and Foxsports). The coverage is especially biased to the league trying to create a false narrative to give national status to the likes of SJU, Providence, Marquette etc with current RPI rankings in the 50's or worse. The knowledgeable viewer knows this line is a line of baloney. Fox is continuing to cross promote the Big East on Fox News, Fox Business and Fox and Friends The networks political viewpoint is in sever conflict with the Catholic experience. I doubt that the Nuns on the bus are pleased.

Honestly, what's wrong with fox promoting their sports content on the other channels? It's free advertising for the league. It's not like we are getting Fox News snippets or commercials during a basketball game. So what's the big deal?

I think you are reaching here. I watched the first three games yesterday and did not notice anything that you mention.

He's a Dayton troll who besides being jealous of an actual national TV contract for his conference, keeps clicking his heels together hoping somehow they'll end up in the Big East. Ignore him.

FYP
Villanova
Westbrook36

Postby XU85 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:14 pm

Thanks bros.
Xavier, 85 & 87
XU85

Postby HoosierPal » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:33 pm

I agree with most of what you say, except it does not bother me about the cross promoting. True it is irritating, but ALL networks do it. I guess that they are stretched thin on getting quality announcers. I watched the X and Butler games in entirety, and about half of the Creighton game. Play by play was just fine, but the analysts really were below standard. I watched the Big Ten IU - UI, and was very pleased with the analyst. He actually told you X's and O's that you didn't know.
HoosierPal

Postby bmorex » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:34 pm

Not sure you're gonna get many people agreeing with you, Hoosier.

I will take Bill Raftery any day of the week.
bmorex

Postby Jet915 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:00 pm

Gus Johnson and Bill Raftery are better than anyone else doing college basketball out there.
Jet915

Postby JOPO » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:11 pm

bmorex wrote:Not sure you're gonna get many people agreeing with you, Hoosier.

Me too! Bill is one of the best in the business.
As always, this is Just One Pirate's Opinion!
JOPO

Postby Jet915 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:14 pm

Here is a pretty funny commerical that aired yesteday of Gus and Bill promoting the Big East.

Jet915

Postby HoosierPal » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:53 pm

JOPO wrote:
bmorex wrote:Not sure you're gonna get many people agreeing with you, Hoosier.

Me too! Bill is one of the best in the business.

I had no illusions of changing anyone's opinion. I have stated mine. I am curious, what do you see/hear from Bill Raftery that you like? Why is he "one of the best in the business"? I obviously don't get it.
HoosierPal

Postby marquette » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:20 pm

I am going to bite just for the hell of it.

Fox is not stupid, they know that the demo they are going after is not the one that watches Fox News. Sports is generally an 18-34 demographic and I'm sure they will treat the programming that way. Look at the FX channel as an example, could not be more different than the News channel with shows like Always Sunny and the League, I am 100% certain the Fox news demo wouldn't approve. I don't see any cross promotion with the news channel on FS1 or FX because they know they are chasing a different demo. I don't care if they promote it on the Fox news network because I don't watch that channel. If they do, who cares? I doubt the nuns on the bus care one way or another about the basketball teams and who they associate with. My guess is they have more important things to worry about.

The production is fine. Frankly it is downright good for a network in its first season promoting/covering college ball. It is at the very least up to the standards of other non-ESPN sports networks and pretty similar to ESPN in my opinion. Of course their coverage will be biased towards the league they have the rights to. That's business. ESPN does it, BTN does it, everybody does it.

We all know you aren't a Xavier fan. Your post history shows it, I believe you may have even stated it outright on a couple occasions. I am sorry you didn't get in, I actually like Dayton as a school/team, but you could at least handle it with the same class that SLU fans have. Every time a Dayton fan comes on here all they do is demean the conference, demean FS1, and talk crap about attendance (yours is also down this year, btw). That really makes us want you here more :roll: . Get over it, move on.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board