Fox Sports 1 Update

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports 1 update

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:28 pm

I thought that the Fox News angle could be a concern. Quite frankly though- maybe I haven't been watching enough, but I haven't seen any kind of cross promotion. Only thing sports I saw on Fox News was a Oklahoma football game when there was an overrun due to a long weather delay and they had WS baseball I believe on Fox that evening. About the only place they could put the game.

And what would you expect for fox? to not use the music/graphics that they have used for 25 years? come on now.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:03 pm

stever20 wrote:I thought that the Fox News angle could be a concern. Quite frankly though- maybe I haven't been watching enough, but I haven't seen any kind of cross promotion. Only thing sports I saw on Fox News was a Oklahoma football game when there was an overrun due to a long weather delay and they had WS baseball I believe on Fox that evening. About the only place they could put the game.

And what would you expect for fox? to not use the music/graphics that they have used for 25 years? come on now.

Yeah, I haven't see much cross promotion of their news channels (maybe only like three total commercials in the 4 months they've been on the air). With such a strong 50/50 split politically nowadays, they would be alienating half their viewership right off the bat, which I would think they'd want to avoid (so advertisers don't get irritated too). Also, the old Fox Soccer channel never had cross promotion either, so they're probably following that set up.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:20 pm

billyjack wrote:
stever20 wrote:I thought that the Fox News angle could be a concern. Quite frankly though- maybe I haven't been watching enough, but I haven't seen any kind of cross promotion. Only thing sports I saw on Fox News was a Oklahoma football game when there was an overrun due to a long weather delay and they had WS baseball I believe on Fox that evening. About the only place they could put the game.

Yeah, I haven't see much cross promotion of their news channels (maybe only like three total commercials in the 4 months they've been on the air). With such a strong 50/50 split politically nowadays, they would be alienating half their viewership right off the bat, which I would think they'd want to avoid (so advertisers don't get irritated too). Also, the old Fox Soccer channel never had cross promotion either, so they're probably following that set up.

what, Billyjack agreeing with me 100% what is this world coming to?
stever20

Postby billyjack » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:43 pm

stever20 wrote:
billyjack wrote:

what, Billyjack agreeing with me 100% what is this world coming to?

Lol...!
Providence
billyjack

Postby bmorex » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:28 pm

Xavier at Marquette (Feb 15) has been moved to 4 PM and to FOX's national channel.
bmorex

Postby Hibbs » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:43 pm

I've been watching the marathon coverage on and off all day and I have been very happy with what I've seen. Doing features on the teams, talking about future recruting classes, etc. This is better treatment than the league would have received on any other network. It's nice to finally be the main event.
Hibbs

Postby HoosierPal » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:54 pm

The announcers for the Butler game were Johnson and Raftery. I was going to give Johnson an A until he made one of the stupidest comments of the day. On the drive in OT when Brown's shot was altered/blocked, he said "I'm glad the refs didn't bail Butler out on that one, because there was contact." Huh? If you don't believe this, rewind the tape to about midway through the OT, then go on to the next TO.

The game has long passed up Raftery. I expect an analyst to contribute more than "Extraordinary", "What Strength" and "That's a dagger". He simply was there to put adjectives on the game. Fox can do better than Raftery. And Raftery's point on Johnson's goofy statement was "Good comment". He could have explained the statement or perhaps taken an opposing viewpoint, but "Good comment" was all could think of. How about, 'there wasn't all that much contact', or 'you don't call that in OT', or 'the refs missed that one' or something else. If I would have had a radio feed, I would have muted them.
HoosierPal

Postby lukecu » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:59 am

I think someone needs to relax.
Nebraska raised, Creighton by choice!
lukecu

Postby tsmithohio1234 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:39 am

As an XU fan, I must say that the new FS1 game announcers and studio talent are third or fourth tier (below CBS national broadcasts, below ESPN, below B10 and Foxsports). The coverage is especially biased to the league trying to create a false narrative to give national status to the likes of SJU, Providence, Marquette etc with current RPI rankings in the 50's or worse. The knowledgeable viewer knows this line is a line of baloney. Fox is continuing to cross promote the Big East on Fox News, Fox Business and Fox and Friends The networks political viewpoint is in sever conflict with the Catholic experience. I doubt that the Nuns on the bus are pleased.
tsmithohio1234

Postby bmorex » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:44 am

tsmithohio1234 wrote:As an XU fan, I must say that the new FS1 game announcers and studio talent are third or fourth tier (below CBS national broadcasts, below ESPN, below B10 and Foxsports). The coverage is especially biased to the league trying to create a false narrative to give national status to the likes of SJU, Providence, Marquette etc with current RPI rankings in the 50's or worse. The knowledgeable viewer knows this line is a line of baloney. Fox is continuing to cross promote the Big East on Fox News, Fox Business and Fox and Friends The networks political viewpoint is in sever conflict with the Catholic experience. I doubt that the Nuns on the bus are pleased.

Honestly, what's wrong with fox promoting their sports content on the other channels? It's free advertising for the league. It's not like we are getting Fox News snippets or commercials during a basketball game. So what's the big deal?

I think you are reaching here. I watched the first three games yesterday and did not notice anything that you mention.
bmorex

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board