Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Sep 23, 2024 8:17 pm

Gopher+RamFan wrote:@Brett_McMurphy: Gonzaga leaving West Coast Conference to join Pac-12, source told
@ActionNetworkHQ
. Pac-12 still needs minimum of two football members by 2026, but Gonzaga, even w/out a football team, will receive a full conference revenue share in Pac-12, source said

I've long posted here stating that Gonzaga was a non-starter due to distance and the strain it would place on their non-revenue sports. Getting a full Pac-12 share is great for their program.

Gonzaga to PAC12 actually makes some sense. I don’t hate it.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Sep 23, 2024 8:25 pm

stever20 wrote:Memphis, Tulane, UTSA, and USF all are sticking with the AAC.

So are we going to see just MWC and Pac merge now?

Utah St to the PAC12. Sounds like UNLV could be the 8th football school.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby DeltaV » Tue Sep 24, 2024 10:55 am

Omaha1 wrote:
Gopher+RamFan wrote:@Brett_McMurphy: Gonzaga leaving West Coast Conference to join Pac-12, source told
@ActionNetworkHQ
. Pac-12 still needs minimum of two football members by 2026, but Gonzaga, even w/out a football team, will receive a full conference revenue share in Pac-12, source said

I've long posted here stating that Gonzaga was a non-starter due to distance and the strain it would place on their non-revenue sports. Getting a full Pac-12 share is great for their program.

Getting a full share will be huge if the PAC gets any sort of decent media deal.

Do they have a FCS football team or anything that they might be getting encouragement to move up, or is it straight up no football?
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby stever20 » Tue Sep 24, 2024 11:04 am

DeltaV wrote:
Omaha1 wrote:
@ActionNetworkHQ

Getting a full share will be huge if the PAC gets any sort of decent media deal.

Do they have a FCS football team or anything that they might be getting encouragement to move up, or is it straight up no football?

straight up no football. Not even in the Pioneer.
stever20

Postby admin » Fri Sep 27, 2024 6:11 am

Texas State rumored to the MWC. I honestly didn't know there was a school called Texas State, but good for them.

The Mountain West, after receiving signed commitments Thursday from its seven remaining member schools to stay in the conference, is already looking at adding more.

Texas State, which would be an all-sports addition, has emerged as a target for Mountain West expansion, sources told ESPN's Pete Thamel on Thursday night. Another target that could soon come into focus for the conference is Northern Illinois, which would be as a football-only member.
admin
Site Admin

Postby TBC Alum » Fri Sep 27, 2024 1:36 pm

The Fighting Armadillos. Is Rob Schneider still doing PxP?
CU clap clap CU
TBC Alum

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Sep 27, 2024 3:38 pm

I don't see any impact on the Big East from these MWC/PAC trades, only that it is reassuring that the BE has its TV contract solidified and, for the time being, UConn doesn't really have any immediate opportunities to jump to the B12/ACC. UConn Football, not all sports, may be a football-only addition to the PAC if the dollars make sense, but definitely do not see UConn seeking to join the MWC (as it could easily join the MAC as a football-only member).

I remain apprehensive about *only* remaining at eleven members moving forward, as losing just UConn not only loses their brand, but also their conference slate (going down from 20 to 18 games, not to mention the BET and OOC games they bring). I personally would like to add one program in the coming seasons just to have that cushion (and recognizing that it is super unlikely anyone from the ACC shakes lose). It needs to again be echoed that the C7 and BE separating from the chaos that is football was one of the best financial decisions made in realignment history.
GoldenWarrior11

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board