The time has come.... HLOH will be shutting down end of 2024

The home for Big East hoops

Postby admin » Sat Aug 17, 2024 1:13 pm

Just before Christmas 2012, there was great speculation about the future of the Big East (and all of college basketball), and reports were that the Catholic 7 was considering breaking away from the football schools of the Big East. It was then that we started the Holy Land of Hoops message board as a place for fans of the "basketball first" schools of the Big East - along with fans of schools considered potential additions to a possible new league - to gather and share news, rumors, etc.

In the nearly 12 years since that time, we have seen unprecedented change in college athletics. The Big East was reborn with a new league president and added three new schools that have played a pivotal role in the success of the league. Ultimately, UConn returned to their roots (and glory) and the league has had national success in men's college basketball that even Big East optimists wouldn't have predicted a dozen years ago.

We appreciate everyone who has taken time to visit and participate in the discussion here. There are tens of thousands of posts on HLOH covering more than a decade of league success. If you have time, I encourage you to look back at the early posts from the formation of this board. It is quite a trip down memory lane to see where the Big East was in late 2012 and compare it to where we are in 2024.

However, as time passes, we realize that HLOH must evolve as well. Unfortunately, it has become clear to me that I do not have the time or energy necessary to undertake the board updates and modernization that is required. As a result, it is with some sadness that I have decided to shut down the HLOH message board effective at the end of 2024. If there is anyone interested in taking the baton, I would happily engage the conversation about transitioning ownership of the domain, etc.

Again, many thanks to all of you for nearly 12 years worth of conversation regarding a topic we all love - Big East and college basketball. I have enjoyed our time together and I wish you well.

-Admin
email: admin@holylandofhoops.com
admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: The time has come.... HLOH will be shutting down end of

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sat Aug 17, 2024 1:30 pm

Sad to hear, because this might be the only sane message board in existence. However, I understand and thank you for your service.

Wizard of Westroads

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Aug 18, 2024 10:44 am

So many thanks for starting up and maintaining HLOH. In 2012, there was a definite need for C7/BE fans to have their own board and space to discuss hoops (without constant need from being trolled and/or ridiculed by insane AAC fans).

In a strange, cathartic way, the new TV deal and the end of this board (unless someone else takes the baton) aligns in timing as a way of our programs and conference securing themselves as a power group moving forward. 12 years ago, it was very much fighting to belong. Moving forward, the fight will be to show that we remain one of the best.

Hope the site may continue but if it's not, the other board has a few of us and a BE sub forum. Hope we may continue to stay connected.

Thanks again. - GW11.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Django » Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:48 am

There’s another Big East board? Please share address.
Django

Postby ArmyVet » Tue Aug 20, 2024 2:26 pm

There is a dormant board on csnbbs. Unfortunately, a lot of the intrinsic value of message board interactions has been replaced by instantaneous reactions to moments and games on sites like twitter. It is what is is.

I enjoyed the community of posters here a lot and I hope someone else takes the reins to continue on a civil league conversation.
ArmyVet

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Aug 20, 2024 4:19 pm

Admin -

I know the feeling…worn down, haggard, tired, & old. I tried to modernize & bring in new blood a while back, it didn’t stick. Do a brief synopsis of the HLOH: members, online reach, ad income, site value (compared to similar sites), projected income, expenses, net income. I’m interested - it’s a Wragge half-court heave (longshot) - but worth the interest/effort.

It’d be a shame for ‘the Vatican’ to close its’ doors! Papa Francisco would roll over in his grave! Oh wait one, he’s still standing! lol This is akin to losing Big East Coast Bias (BECB) a few years back. Tragic! Admin…You, staff, moderators, & this board have been a pillar of support to the Big East Conference and all of us fans. Salute!

I’ll contact you via the email you listed. Who knows…a lot can happen in 4 months.
“Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men.” - the Shadow do.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Django » Tue Aug 20, 2024 9:08 pm

Gitmo for new HLOH Admin! Let’s GOOOOOOOO
Django

Postby FenwayFriar » Wed Aug 21, 2024 1:42 pm

In Gtmo We Trust
FenwayFriar

Postby MUPanther » Fri Aug 23, 2024 4:52 pm

Sad to hear. Traffic on the board does seem slower in the past few years as well.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby Xudash » Mon Aug 26, 2024 2:44 pm

I personally want to thank you for building and maintaining this site.

It has been a pleasurable experience. It's been about camaraderie rather than toxic flaming at each other.
XAVIER
Xudash

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board