*breaking* new TV Deal

The home for Big East hoops

Re: *breaking* new TV Deal

Postby billyjack » Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:12 am

Nice--> Rick Cordella, NBC Sports President, is a Providence alum.

Also, as discussed last month, I'm really happy about us adding Peacock.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:53 pm

Yep, yes sir... we got lowballed...again!

Andrei Greska's article from August 2022 - Paint Touches
https://painttouches.com/2022/08/26/wha ... hts-worth/

This is the August 2022 original, complete article. Django's is the july 2024 updated version, with less overall information.
An in-depth breakdown of the projected value of Big East basketball.
Compaares to similarly venued sports, similarly attended sports (soccer/F1)
Compares to P4, compares to AAC, etc.
Bottom line his charts indicate the present value of Big East hoops is $100 Million/year.
He took the position that the conference will 'settle' for $80 Million/year. Spot on.

Sooo...Yes! We got lowballed...again. Even with 'almost' doubling the previous contract.

We settled for $480 Million over 6 years, [b]($80 mill/yr). $7.3($7.27) Mill/school/yr.[/b]
[color=#FF0000]Using Greska's figures the BE's actual value is $600 Million over 6 years, [b]($100 Mill/yr). $9.1($9.09) Mill/school/yr
[/color][/b]
Greska's 2 year old work is spot on. Way to go Andrei. !!

"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:55 pm

Yep, yes sir... we got lowballed...again!

Andrei Greska's article from August 2022 - Paint Touches
https://painttouches.com/2022/08/26/wha ... hts-worth/

This is the August 2022 original, complete article. Django's is the july 2024 updated version, with less overall information.
An in-depth breakdown of the projected value of Big East basketball.
Compaares to similarly venued sports, similarly attended sports (soccer/F1)
Compares to P4, compares to AAC, etc.
Bottom line his charts indicate the present value of Big East hoops is $100 Million/year.
He took the position that the conference will 'settle' for $80 Million/year. Spot on.

Sooo...Yes! We got lowballed...again. Even with 'almost' doubling the previous contract.

We settled for $480 Million over 6 years, [b]($80 mill/yr). $7.3($7.27) Mill/school/yr.[/b]
[color=#FF0000]Using Greska's figures the BE's actual value is $600 Million over 6 years, [b]($100 Mill/yr). $9.1($9.09) Mill/school/yr
[/color][/b]
Greska's 2 year old work is spot on. Way to go Andrei. !!

"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Xudash » Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:10 pm

gtmo -- I've been paying close attention to PAINT TOUCHES and perhaps its most recent weigh-in on this is revealing:

https://painttouches.com/2024/07/01/how-does-the-the-big-east-tv-contract-compare-to-other-power-conferences-fox-espn-sec/

UCONN football fans will continue to go ballistic, but that's the problem they have with having such a terrible football product. Otherwise, whether done on an 80/20 modeling basis or an 85/15 modeling basis for football/basketball media share split, the Big East conference comes out ranked 3rd on a per team distribution basis.

At the end of the day, a 95% pay raise is not a bad day at the office. And if his PV cranked out at $100 million, but he thought the conference would settle for $80 million, then that it is what it is. One thing I've learned, or I think I've learned in all of this is that it is both about performance numbers from the end product (i.e. viewership data), as well as where these media companies stand at a particular moment in terms of supply and demand for content and what they individually need to fill their windows.

Our timing was fortunate in 2013 with Fox, and it appears to have been good this time around as well. I would have loved 10 or 12 or 15 per school, but I think we have arrived at a good and logical place at 7.2 and change.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby ArmyVet » Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:13 am

The $7 million per school also includes Big East rights for women's basketball and other sports also correct? Does that change the calculus on how the leagues compare?
ArmyVet

Postby HallHoops » Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:39 pm

A bit disappointing on the revenue side. Most recent year has the BE getting $50 million, was hoping to double this.

With an "average" of $80 million per year, the BE won't see that until years 3-4.

Remember the conference takes approx. 25% to run the conference and the conference will be taking a 20% haircut from NCAA payouts.

Not a bad deal on the surface but this makes the BE fall farther behind the P4.
HallHoops

Postby FenwayFriar » Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:08 am

Sounds like some (all?) of the TNT allocated Big East games will actually be broadcast on truTV rather than TNT. Disappointing.

https://awfulannouncing.com/warner-bros-discovery/tnt-sports-trutv-primetime-block.html
FenwayFriar

Postby MUPanther » Mon Jul 15, 2024 7:39 pm

FenwayFriar wrote:Sounds like some (all?) of the TNT allocated Big East games will actually be broadcast on truTV rather than TNT. Disappointing.

https://awfulannouncing.com/warner-bros-discovery/tnt-sports-trutv-primetime-block.html

This is from the TNT Press Release....
TNT Sports and the BIG EAST Conference announced today a new six-year media rights agreement that will feature more than 65 regular season BIG EAST college basketball games airing across TNT – as the lead network – along with TBS, truTV and Max, beginning with the 2025-26 season.

It reads to me as TNT being the top network.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby ArmyVet » Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:22 am

I'm not sure what channel (TNT vs tru) really matters anymore. When I turn on my television streaking service, it provides me with a gaggle of game options and I choose from them. I rarely have any idea what channel a random college basketball game is on anymore except for the graphics and announcers.
ArmyVet

Postby Django » Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:37 pm

ArmyVet wrote:I'm not sure what channel (TNT vs tru) really matters anymore. When I turn on my television streaking service, it provides me with a gaggle of game options and I choose from them. I rarely have any idea what channel a random college basketball game is on anymore except for the graphics and announcers.

How much do you pay monthly for the streaking service? :lol:
Django

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board