Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby Django » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:26 pm

Judge stopped the meeting. SDSU just might get into the PAC after all!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... 12-meeting
Django

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:40 pm

If it's ruled that Wazzu and Oregon St are the sole owners of all PAC12 assets, that will be quite a windfall.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:21 pm

The reason this never happened to the OBE is that the conference always invited a grouping of teams before it ever got down to member minimums.

First it was TCU. Then it was Boise State, San Diego State, Houston, Memphis, SMU and UCF. Then it was Temple and Navy. Then it was ECU and Tulane.

Teams got poached and the league backfilled. It never allowed the membership to dissolve itself. The PAC, even after losing USC and UCLA, never reloaded. It just lost members. WSU and OSU are entitled to rebuild the league; the departing members shouldn't be permitted to end the league if they chose to leave.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Vertigo » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:45 am

Rumor swirling that the College of Charleston to the A10 is imminent. The Cougars would become the 16th member.

Personally, the A10 is a bloated mess, no offense to Charleston but the program has only reached the NCAA tournament two times since 1999.

Also the A10 being a 1-2 bid league with 16 basketball only members is crazy lol… and kinda sad :(
Vertigo

Postby kayako » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:50 pm

Vertigo wrote:Rumor swirling that the College of Charleston to the A10 is imminent. The Cougars would become the 16th member.

Personally, the A10 is a bloated mess, no offense to Charleston but the program has only reached the NCAA tournament two times since 1999.

Also the A10 being a 1-2 bid league with 16 basketball only members is crazy lol… and kinda sad :(

Gotta wonder if some of A10 members are on the move. This has me thinking if Val & Presidents are willing to take an A10 team if they're willing to SMU their way in?
supernova
kayako

Postby Jet915 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:55 am

kayako wrote:
Vertigo wrote:Rumor swirling that the College of Charleston to the A10 is imminent. The Cougars would become the 16th member.

Gotta wonder if some of A10 members are on the move. This has me thinking if Val & Presidents are willing to take an A10 team if they're willing to SMU their way in?

i cant imagine Fox asking for Dayton or SLU but who knows....
Jet915

Postby Omaha1 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:35 am

kayako wrote:

The double round robin is sacrosanct in my opinion. Don’t mess with it.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Vertigo » Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:31 pm

Omaha1 wrote:
kayako wrote:

The double round robin is sacrosanct in my opinion. Don’t mess with it.

Agreed. the Big East should remain lean and mean.

No reason to add unless the ACC fully implodes. The conference has certainly outperformed its previous media contract, hopefully with 3 extra national championships and UCONN in the fold, Val can demand close to 7-8 million/year deal without adding additional teams and preserve the round robin.

IF the BE expanded today, I’d rather form a western wing with Gonzaga, St Mary’s, and Wichita. Val should hard pass on raiding the A10 imo.
Vertigo

Postby DeltaV » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:22 am

The argument for "expand for expansion sake" or "expand to fill more slots on FS1" I think is dead. Fox has their hands at this point in both the BIG and B12, right? Which have a lot more games now. We should continue to focus on quality, name matchups that will get non alumni or casual fan eyes

Random college basketball fan will tune in for Villanova Xavier or UNConn Marquette (no offense intended to teams not named). Will they tune into a game with St Louis or any other candidate not named Gonzaga? Maybe, but the likelihood is a lot lower, and TV execs are going to put up the big state school matchups anyway.

We're already having matchups kicked to CBS sports net. Adding filler teams just means more games there or other lower tier stations
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby MUPanther » Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:57 am

DeltaV wrote:The argument for "expand for expansion sake" or "expand to fill more slots on FS1" I think is dead. Fox has their hands at this point in both the BIG and B12, right? Which have a lot more games now. We should continue to focus on quality, name matchups that will get non alumni or casual fan eyes

Random college basketball fan will tune in for Villanova Xavier or UNConn Marquette (no offense intended to teams not named). Will they tune into a game with St Louis or any other candidate not named Gonzaga? Maybe, but the likelihood is a lot lower, and TV execs are going to put up the big state school matchups anyway.

We're already having matchups kicked to CBS sports net. Adding filler teams just means more games there or other lower tier stations

The fear by some with Big 12 basketball coming to FS1 in 2025 would cut out some Big East games. We still don't know the numbers of Big 12 games FOX gets in basketball. IMO, can't be tons since FOX is footing 33% of the TV deal.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board