Postby jbarajas0490 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:35 pm

ACC looking to add Stanford and CAL??
jbarajas0490

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:52 pm

jbarajas0490 wrote:ACC looking to add Stanford and CAL??

This is just getting out of hand lol....
Jet915

Postby Xudash » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:54 pm

Angry Dan wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbtGX0Jmif4

Excellent discussion on this from the CBS Eye on College Basketball Podcast guys Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander.

Towards the end they discuss a potential challenge to March Madness and these new Zombie like big conferences setting up their own basketball championship tourney so they don’t have to share money with the non Zombie like big conferences.

Thanks for sharing. A few additional interesting tidbits from their discussion:

1. 63% of all cable subscribers are 68 years old or older.

2. It would presently take $100's of millions to get out of the ACC. Florida State is kicking and trying. We all know about the J.P. Morgan approach. Tough sledding though in that direction.

3. The Big 12's new media deal allows for additions from the P5 that would keep the existing $31 million and change per school deal in place - UConn obviously isn't in that camp.

4. The Big 12 is focused on looking at 2 more football adds, but they're obviously running into slim pickens and the media partners told them to not abuse the deal - that could mean UConn at a reduced number plus Gonzaga to balance them out if they want to go in that direction.

AND

5. Apparently, August 15th is the DEADLINE DATE FOR ADDING ANY ADDITIONAL MEMBERS TO A CONFERENCE. That's what they said, but I don't know where they're coming from with respect to the source for that statement.

We have to hang on for 8 more days.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby ArmyVet » Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:21 am

Jet915 wrote:
jbarajas0490 wrote:ACC looking to add Stanford and CAL??

This is just getting out of hand lol....

This is illogical beyond belief. I saw someone posit that Stanford and Cal should join the Ivy League and it kind of sort of makes sense.
ArmyVet

Postby Omaha1 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:02 pm

SMU is another expansion target for the ACC, a source confirms to @TheAthletic. The league’s administrators are expected to review financials later today related to adding only Cal & Stanford and also all three.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Burrito » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:36 am

Seems like the only choices for the ACC are from the G5 or what's left of the PAC-12 carcass.
If the ACC felt they could poach from the Big 12, they probably would. TCU would be a much better Football option than SMU (for example).
Burrito

Postby RichPalace » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:08 am

I'm confused - why isn't the AAC going after UConn? This isn't a sneery question inviting a slating of UConn, I'm just a little bemused. I know that they haven't got much of a football reputation, but the other options don't seem to be much better. And UConn fits geographically and in many other ways.

To be clear, I hope they stay in the Big East (but I suspect they will be gone in the next couple of years, anyway).
RichPalace

Postby Burkehoops » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:24 pm

RichPalace wrote:I'm confused - why isn't the AAC going after UConn? This isn't a sneery question inviting a slating of UConn, I'm just a little bemused. I know that they haven't got much of a football reputation, but the other options don't seem to be much better. And UConn fits geographically and in many other ways.

To be clear, I hope they stay in the Big East (but I suspect they will be gone in the next couple of years, anyway).

I really think its the football money, and not wanting to dilute the existing revenue. From a basketball perspective, it makes more sense than Cal and Stanford.
Burkehoops

Postby DeltaV » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:46 pm

RichPalace wrote:I'm confused - why isn't the AAC going after UConn? This isn't a sneery question inviting a slating of UConn, I'm just a little bemused. I know that they haven't got much of a football reputation, but the other options don't seem to be much better. And UConn fits geographically and in many other ways.

Football still drives the bus.

I think there's also some bad blood about UConn sueing BC (and others?) When they left

But yeah, when the ACC (I'm going to assume that was a typo) gets raided, UConn will probably be the first one to send their application, and this time it'll probably be approved.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby RichPalace » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:18 pm

Sorry, that's right, ACC - these acronyms are too similar!
RichPalace

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board