Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:06 pm

Big 12 now pursuing UConn and Gonzaga.
GoldenWarrior11

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby sju88grad » Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:36 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Big 12 now pursuing UConn and Gonzaga.

So sick of all this garbage.
sju88grad

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:41 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Big 12 now pursuing UConn and Gonzaga.

I haven’t seen anything to corroborate this. In fact, it feels like they already took a couple of schools they really didn’t want with ASU and Utah. Something seems likely to happen with all the saber rattling in the ACC though, so maybe UConn finds a happy home there someday?
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Jet915 » Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:39 am

Seems like the next move would be the SEC picking apart Clemson, Miami and FSU from the ACC.
Jet915

Postby admin » Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:57 am

Jet915 wrote:Seems like the next move would be the SEC picking apart Clemson, Miami and FSU from the ACC.

Isn't the end-game having two mega-conferences? Maybe two x 24 team leagues. Pick apart the Big 12 and ACC and place the major players into those leagues. Kansas, UNC, Virginia end up in the Big Ten. Clemson, Florida St, and Miami join the SEC.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Burrito » Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:30 pm

24 members per conference seems high. But I could see the SEC going from 16 to 20 members with FSU, Clemson, North Carolina and either Miami or Virginia.
Maybe at that point, UConn could get an invite to the ACC.
Burrito

Postby kayako » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:51 pm

Burrito wrote:24 members per conference seems high. But I could see the SEC going from 16 to 20 members with FSU, Clemson, North Carolina and either Miami or Virginia.

If the ACC only loses 4-5 members, they'd have options. B12, UConn, Memphis, USF, and plenty of non-football options occupying good markets. They should be able to raid and destroy the B12, but something tells me the ACC will self destruct like the PAC. Where UConn ranks in that pile of schools depends entirely on their football program the next few seasons.
supernova
kayako

Postby Burrito » Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:47 pm

kayako wrote:
Burrito wrote:24 members per conference seems high. But I could see the SEC going from 16 to 20 members with FSU, Clemson, North Carolina and either Miami or Virginia.

If the ACC only loses 4-5 members, they'd have options. B12, UConn, Memphis, USF, and plenty of non-football options occupying good markets. They should be able to raid and destroy the B12, but something tells me the ACC will self destruct like the PAC. Where UConn ranks in that pile of schools depends entirely on their football program the next few seasons.

Universities switch conferences for a bigger payday. I believe the ACC and the BIG 12 both make about $30 Million per member each year in their current media deals. And that is with the ACC still having Clemson, FSU, Etc. as members.
Once the ACC loses their top football programs, I doubt they will be in a position to poach from the Big 12. We will eventually find out though.
Burrito

Postby Angry Dan » Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbtGX0Jmif4

Excellent discussion on this from the CBS Eye on College Basketball Podcast guys Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander.

Towards the end they discuss a potential challenge to March Madness and these new Zombie like big conferences setting up their own basketball championship tourney so they don’t have to share money with the non Zombie like big conferences.
Angry Dan

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:17 pm

I watched it too. I guess no one can say it will “never” happen, but I hope it’s not in my lifetime.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board