Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby Omaha1 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:58 pm

McMurphy:

Colorado leaving Pac-12 to return to Big 12 in 2024, sources told @ActionNetworkHQ. CU will receive full Big 12 share ($31.7M) from ESPN/Fox media deal. Buffs left because of Big 12 stability & Pac-12’s uncertainty, sources said. Announcement Thursday
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:18 pm

Thamel:
Sources: The Big 12’s presidents and chancellors voted unanimously Wednesday night on a conference call to accept Colorado as a new member. Colorado still has not formally applied for Big 12 membership, which is expected to happen tomorrow.
stever20

Postby marquette » Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:28 am

stever20 wrote:Thamel:
Sources: The Big 12’s presidents and chancellors voted unanimously Wednesday night on a conference call to accept Colorado as a new member. Colorado still has not formally applied for Big 12 membership, which is expected to happen tomorrow.

Yeah, tomorrow should be interesting to see if there's a fire with all this smoke. If you're the PAC 12 there's really not a lot of great ads out there to backfill with. It will be interesting to watch going forward.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby stever20 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:30 am

marquette wrote:
stever20 wrote:Thamel:

Yeah, tomorrow should be interesting to see if there's a fire with all this smoke. If you're the PAC 12 there's really not a lot of great ads out there to backfill with. It will be interesting to watch going forward.

Yeah if it's just 1 add in Colorado Pac 12 would be ok. San Diego St a pretty decent replacement. But after that it goes downhill really fast.

Will be interesting to see how the MWC responds too, especially if they lost more than SDSU.
stever20

Postby admin » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:13 am

I understand that Colorado is concerned about the unknown future of the PAC12 media rights deal. Maybe this is the right move for them in the short term, but I also have questions about the Big 12, particularly once the league loses Texas and Oklahoma.

How many dominoes fall as a result of this? If the PAC12 crumbles, then it's a free for all. Will be very interesting to watch this unfold.
admin
Site Admin

Postby MUPanther » Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:51 am

This was from Dana O'Neil and Brian Hamilton's weekly NCAA hoops mailbag on The Athletic. Unfortunately it is behind a pay wall but the leading questions were surrounding UConn (potentially leaving the Big East) and the Big East (replacing UConn if they left). They are not fans of a move for the Huskies...

Happy summer, friends and fellow college hoops obsessives, and welcome to another edition of the Shot Takers Mailbag.

Been a minute since Dana O’Neil and I took your questions about this glorious and ridiculous sport. And it’s never a dead period for us.

So let’s get to it.

If UConn were to leave the Big East, who should the Big East try to bring in for a new school? – Zach G.

Wouldn’t Coach Hurley and Coach Auriemma want UConn to stay in the Big East? If they want to stay, how much influence would they have on the university’s decision? – Jack D.

Dana: Let me preface this by saying I find the whole idea of UConn leaving the Big East maddeningly, infuriatingly stupid. When the school last tried to go all in on football, riding the huge tidal wave of that one Fiesta Bowl experience, it nearly cost the Huskies their identity. The school was lucky to get back into the Big East. What’s the saying? First time, shame on you?

I would love to think that Dan Hurley, hot off a national title, and Geno Auriemma, who is personally responsible for most of the trophies in the UConn cases, would have a say. But coaches’ opinions are rarely sought when it comes to conference realignment. I would think it would behoove university administrators to listen to their coaches in the trenches, and think real hard about doubling down on a sport in which they have a financially-draining relationship with the state for use of a stadium, and no discernible track record in winning. Alas.

As for Big East expansion, Val Ackerman is on record about being very cautious about movement, and rightly so. While everyone else chases their tails and reinvents their identities on the fly, the Big East’s success is based on selectivity and knowing what it is. The league does not need to expand just to expand; it needs to expand only if it’s going to help the conference. Loyola Chicago’s stutter move to the Atlantic 10, I’d imagine, gives everyone pause. The jump up in competition isn’t easy. Dayton and Saint Louis are viable options, for example, but which can be immediately Big East ready? I’d argue Dayton more, but how does Xavier feel about that? Gonzaga remains a really tricky, if not geographically impossible, pipe dream.

Short answer: Just because UConn might make a rash decision, that doesn’t mean the Big East ought to follow.

Brian, feel free to argue against.

Brian: There is no argument against. UConn belongs in the Big East, full stop. Money has a way of getting presidents and administrators to twist logic beyond all recognition, so I also have zero confidence UConn stays where it belongs. Just hope I’m wrong.

If UConn bolts, I don’t know that there’s a brilliant fit out there. The league would prioritize programs that make the NCAA Tournament regularly, because it doesn’t want to bring in fewer tournament units — and thereby less money — and split the pot with the same number of members or more. Dayton says it operates like a power conference program, but it also hasn’t made the NCAA Tournament since 2017 (Pour another one out for the 2019-2020 Flyers). Harder to manage out of the Atlantic 10, of course … but that’s still a glaring absence.

The gangster move is Syracuse. Whether UConn leaves or not. Probably not likely to convince a place with a former television executive as athletic director to deprioritize football, and the grant-of-rights legal entanglements likely make this a non-starter. But this is conference realignment. Never think something can’t be done. A revitalized Syracuse men’s hoops program, playing where it belongs, could lift a lot of boats — much like it has for UConn.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby ArmyVet » Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:10 am

MUPanther wrote:The gangster move is Syracuse. Whether UConn leaves or not. Probably not likely to convince a place with a former television executive as athletic director to deprioritize football, and the grant-of-rights legal entanglements likely make this a non-starter. But this is conference realignment. Never think something can’t be done. A revitalized Syracuse men’s hoops program, playing where it belongs, could lift a lot of boats — much like it has for UConn.

Bring the Orange back to the Big East? Someone call gtmo.
ArmyVet

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:09 pm

ArmyVet wrote:
MUPanther wrote:The gangster move is Syracuse. Whether UConn leaves or not. Probably not likely to convince a place with a former television executive as athletic director to deprioritize football, and the grant-of-rights legal entanglements likely make this a non-starter. But this is conference realignment. Never think something can’t be done. A revitalized Syracuse men’s hoops program, playing where it belongs, could lift a lot of boats — much like it has for UConn.

Bring the Orange back to the Big East? Someone call gtmo.

Sports villains are fun. UConn and Hurley certainly fit that role. It's a shame some of the other (new) BE teams will never get to experience the Whiner in Chief, Boeheim. Beating him on his home court in front of 40K Orange idiots in the Carrier dome was always a lot of fun.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby kayako » Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:01 pm

stever20 wrote:
Yeah if it's just 1 add in Colorado Pac 12 would be ok. San Diego St a pretty decent replacement. But after that it goes downhill really fast.

Will be interesting to see how the MWC responds too, especially if they lost more than SDSU.

How dumb was SDSU's we're leaving letter, only to say we're not leaving and agreeing to a higher exit fee + legal fee? Cost them millions... lol
supernova
kayako

Postby Omaha1 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:38 pm

UConn looks kind of pathetic right now. Rumors are that there is a list of teams that the B12 might add and UConn isn’t one of them.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board