Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby xusandy » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:44 pm

When the 2022 NPOY can make more money from NIL rights at Kentucky than he can in the NBA, we just don't have collegiate basketball any more. It's a pro sport now, period.
The bad news for the BEAST is that we have no powerhouse football deal to bring in $$. The good news for the BEAST is that the majority of schools in power 5 conferences actually LOSE money at football, and they're gonna have to spend whatever NIL money comes in from donors trying (hopelessly, I suspect) to keep up in the football arms race.
At least Bball still drives the bus in the BEAST, and all of us (except maybe UConn) can afford to sprinkle some NIL money around the hardwood.
xusandy

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:21 pm

xusandy wrote:When the 2022 NPOY can make more money from NIL rights at Kentucky than he can in the NBA, we just don't have collegiate basketball any more. It's a pro sport now, period.
The bad news for the BEAST is that we have no powerhouse football deal to bring in $$. The good news for the BEAST is that the majority of schools in power 5 conferences actually LOSE money at football, and they're gonna have to spend whatever NIL money comes in from donors trying (hopelessly, I suspect) to keep up in the football arms race.
At least Bball still drives the bus in the BEAST, and all of us (except maybe UConn) can afford to sprinkle some NIL money around the hardwood.

Football does not subsidize basketball, it subsidizes football. If we keep on winning everything will be taken care of. And if you can afford $3+ million for a basketball coach you can afford NIL, period.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby billyjack » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:40 pm

No difference between Yormark and Aresco, except Big 12 fanboys have been carrying Yormark's water.

Yormark decided he needed to try to be a chaos agent. So his strategy--> yell, proclaim sh-t, knock things over, make outrageous claims, and shovel bullsh-t...

... and, during the chaos, why not, have Big 12 agents cast seeds of doubt towards potential panicky AD's from the Pac-10.

What is the current realistic best case scenario for Yormark? This disaster --> add perennial nobodies in football... that is, add Colorado and UConn ? Then, proclaim victory... and, after 30 years of the sportsworld chirping daily that "football drives the bus", make believe this is a home run? That is the *best* possible outcome for Yormark.

Meanwhile, Texas and Oklahoma are in the SEC... having sped off in their Testarossas over and beyond the hills, out of the sight of the Big 12's burnt orange 1988 Yugo. I mean, c'mon, it's a freakin joke.

If UConn wants to leave New York for that truck stop league, then freakin go man. What a tease for the poor abused UConn hoops fans though, got a title again, and MSG, but now having to put up with the 5 existing Husky football fan loudmouths and their semi-human coach Jim Mora, with the coaching skills and personality of a baked potato. And they (UConn) are being absolutely humiliated, just absolutely being played, and begging, i mean holy cow it's freakin embarrassing just wearing out your knees these past 4 months, 6 months, whatever. As a fellow conference mate it just looks so humiliating and embarrassing.
Providence
billyjack

Postby GampelCrazies » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:06 am

adoraz wrote:
GampelCrazies wrote:If UConn does get invited (which I think will happen) I would have to think it opens the door for other Big East members to join somewhere down the road

There were rumors months ago before any of the UConn talk that the Big 12 was targeting UConn, Villanova, St. John's, and Gonzaga. You can see by going back a few pages. Not sure if true, but only a small percent of the Villanova and St. John's fans wanted to go. I don't care how strong the conference is top to bottom, the Northeast as a whole doesn't care about middle of America Big 12 teams. For UConn I get it, it's about football money, but would be dumb for any other Big East team to go.

I just think the worry is that the Big East doesn't get a great TV deal. So it might force some of those other programs to make a move. No matter what their fans want including UConn.
GampelCrazies

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:07 am

billyjack wrote:No difference between Yormark and Aresco, except Big 12 fanboys have been carrying Yormark's water.

Yormark decided he needed to try to be a chaos agent. So his strategy--> yell, proclaim sh-t, knock things over, make outrageous claims, and shovel bullsh-t...

... and, during the chaos, why not, have Big 12 agents cast seeds of doubt towards potential panicky AD's from the Pac-10.

What is the current realistic best case scenario for Yormark? This disaster --> add perennial nobodies in football... that is, add Colorado and UConn ? Then, proclaim victory... and, after 30 years of the sportsworld chirping daily that "football drives the bus", make believe this is a home run? That is the *best* possible outcome for Yormark.

Meanwhile, Texas and Oklahoma are in the SEC... having sped off in their Testarossas over and beyond the hills, out of the sight of the Big 12's burnt orange 1988 Yugo. I mean, c'mon, it's a freakin joke.

If UConn wants to leave New York for that truck stop league, then freakin go man. What a tease for the poor abused UConn hoops fans though, got a title again, and MSG, but now having to put up with the 5 existing Husky football fan loudmouths and their semi-human coach Jim Mora, with the coaching skills and personality of a baked potato. And they (UConn) are being absolutely humiliated, just absolutely being played, and begging, i mean holy cow it's freakin embarrassing just wearing out your knees these past 4 months, 6 months, whatever. As a fellow conference mate it just looks so humiliating and embarrassing.

Billyjack,
Wizard of Westroads

Postby Xudash » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:28 pm

billyjack wrote:No difference between Yormark and Aresco, except Big 12 fanboys have been carrying Yormark's water.

Billy, that was a truly enjoyable read.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby billyjack » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:12 pm

Lol thanks guys
Providence
billyjack

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:52 am

As a reminder, if UConn leaves within the first six years of being in the Big East, it will owe the conference $30 million. If they announce they are leaving between 7/1/27 and 7/1/30, they owe the conference $15 million. After 7/1/30, it's $10 million.

If they announce they're leaving in the near-term, I think the league's best option is to take a majority of those exit fees, put it into a pot for travel expenses and make a full invitation to Gonzaga. Essentially, UConn would be paying the expenses for Gonzaga to enter into the Big East. This keeps the content at a high level, keeps the round robin format and adds another elite basketball brand. From strictly an institutional and athletic department standpoint, it's a better fit for our member schools.

Losing UConn would hurt. There's no way around that. However, the league proved it can be a top league without them. I'd hope Gonzaga would finally come around if there were no open doors with the PAC or Big 12.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby adoraz » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:59 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:As a reminder, if UConn leaves within the first six years of being in the Big East, it will owe the conference $30 million. If they announce they are leaving between 7/1/27 and 7/1/30, they owe the conference $15 million. After 7/1/30, it's $10 million.

If they announce they're leaving in the near-term, I think the league's best option is to take a majority of those exit fees, put it into a pot for travel expenses and make a full invitation to Gonzaga. Essentially, UConn would be paying the expenses for Gonzaga to enter into the Big East. This keeps the content at a high level, keeps the round robin format and adds another elite basketball brand. From strictly an institutional and athletic department standpoint, it's a better fit for our member schools.

Losing UConn would hurt. There's no way around that. However, the league proved it can be a top league without them. I'd hope Gonzaga would finally come around if there were no open doors with the PAC or Big 12.

Interesting idea with the travel expenses, though frankly it probably isn't necessary. Gonzaga I'm sure would accept an invite due to the massive increase in TV revenue (assuming Pac 12 or Big 12 don't invite, which is looking less and less likely). The Big East would benefit by staying at 11 and helping their next TV contract. Win-win. Make it happen.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Xudash » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:43 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:As a reminder, if UConn leaves within the first six years of being in the Big East, it will owe the conference $30 million. If they announce they are leaving between 7/1/27 and 7/1/30, they owe the conference $15 million. After 7/1/30, it's $10 million.

If I may amplify your point, should all of this play out this way, the optics would look strong, or at least acceptable for the Big East.

So, UCONN, you’re hell bent on chasing football, thanks for the check and enjoy corn silos. We reload with a viable brand and move forward.

The optics would be “acceptable“, though I would rather have UCONN than Gonzaga.
XAVIER
Xudash

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board