Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby Django » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:36 pm

Yeah the B12 is reeling so what does it do? Goes and make assholes of the National Champion and Runner up in Basketball. We should do what the Mountain West did and kick UCONN out
Django

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Xudash » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:51 pm

Django wrote:Yeah the B12 is reeling so what does it do? Goes and make assholes of the National Champion and Runner up in Basketball. We should do what the Mountain West did and kick UCONN out

I get your frustration, but it would be better to let "cooler heads prevail" at this point.

UCONN isn't going anywhere, because UCONN cannot deliver $31mm per school or more as a result of its inclusion in the Big 12.

So, we have some UCONN fans who love the Big East, and we have some UCONN fans who believe their school can still be a competitive player, or at least a player to some degree in major college football.

We keep them through the next round of media agreement negotiations for the Big East. Everyone (except UCONN football fans) benefits from that.

Beyond that, I keep coming back to the NCAAT as it exists. That is the billion dollar issue - would football powers screw that up, or can they move forward within the existing framework of what constitutes the NCAAT. I just can't see them mucking something as successful as that up.

Step one is to get through the next media agreement. The long view looks good, at least IMHO. And damn if we aren't solid right now, given the recent coaching moves in this conference.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby DeltaV » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:51 pm

Agree. Like it or not, the Big East is more valuable with UConn than without.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby adoraz » Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:05 pm

Probably another false rumor, but an Oklahoma St fan site is claiming Colorado and UConn will be the most likely to join. Quote from a staff member:

No Gonzaga. No Memphis because those aren't happening. Arizona State not willing to go. Utah also staying put. Arizona on the fence but our sources insist Colorado and UConn are most likely.

https://pokesreport.com/s/4583/what-eve ... ealignment

The good news is: 1. UConn + a bunch of schools in the middle of nowhere would NOT be a threat to the Big East Tournament at MSG. Would be better UConn going there than the ACC-lite when Clemson/FSU/UNC/etc. leave. 2. Gonzaga not being a target would mean the Big East can and should immediately extend an invite. Offset the bad news, keep the round robin 11 teams, etc. Big East will be fine, and St. John's will represent NYC well while UConn will lose their identity by playing a bunch of schools nobody here cares about.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby butlerguy03 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:29 pm

adoraz wrote:Probably another false rumor, but an Oklahoma St fan site is claiming Colorado and UConn will be the most likely to join. Quote from a staff member:

No Gonzaga. No Memphis because those aren't happening. Arizona State not willing to go. Utah also staying put. Arizona on the fence but our sources insist Colorado and UConn are most likely.

https://pokesreport.com/s/4583/what-eve ... ealignment

The good news is: 1. UConn + a bunch of schools in the middle of nowhere would NOT be a threat to the Big East Tournament at MSG. Would be better UConn going there than the ACC-lite when Clemson/FSU/UNC/etc. leave. 2. Gonzaga not being a target would mean the Big East can and should immediately extend an invite. Offset the bad news, keep the round robin 11 teams, etc. Big East will be fine, and St. John's will represent NYC well while UConn will lose their identity by playing a bunch of schools nobody here cares about.

Imagine being in a conference where Houston vs Kansas football is more important than UConn vs Baylor basketball. Ouch. Money won't offset the Huskies fans lack of interest. Hopefully they are ready for a road trip of Iowa State, BYU, UCF.
Butler University '03
butlerguy03

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:10 pm

Have they gone yet?
Those Uconn v TCU & UConn v ISU tilts are gonna be instant classics!

Youse guys can bring in da Zags & Dons, if you like. I'll wait for the ACC GoR implosion and
my favs (the TD Jesus', Puke, and cheatin' ass S'cuse).

How's everyone's summer goin'? All the Best.
gtmo
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby JohnT » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:53 pm

The Big 12 isn't inviting UCONN. The real question is what happens to the PAC 12 in the event that one or more of their members leave that league.
JohnT

Postby GampelCrazies » Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:27 pm

If UConn does get invited (which I think will happen) I would have to think it opens the door for other Big East members to join somewhere down the road
GampelCrazies

Postby adoraz » Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:49 pm

GampelCrazies wrote:If UConn does get invited (which I think will happen) I would have to think it opens the door for other Big East members to join somewhere down the road

There were rumors months ago before any of the UConn talk that the Big 12 was targeting UConn, Villanova, St. John's, and Gonzaga. You can see by going back a few pages. Not sure if true, but only a small percent of the Villanova and St. John's fans wanted to go. I don't care how strong the conference is top to bottom, the Northeast as a whole doesn't care about middle of America Big 12 teams. For UConn I get it, it's about football money, but would be dumb for any other Big East team to go.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Xudash » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:24 pm

GampelCrazies wrote:If UConn does get invited (which I think will happen) I would have to think it opens the door for other Big East members to join somewhere down the road

Yormark has enjoyed a successful career, and he strikes me as being both creative and aggressive, which bodes well for the Big 12 in the current climate of big time college sports. He's clearly put a lot up on the wall for consideration since becoming the conference commissioner, including UCONN and Gonzaga as possible expansion candidates. However, his most recent comments make it very clear that the Big 12 is in a holding pattern with respect to further expansion at this point.

I think most of us believe that the next pivot point in all this involves actions/reactions coming out of the PAC 12. What will transpire with their media agreement? Is it true that Colorado might break a way regardless? What is the overall disposition of the so called "4 Corner" schools? Even all of that is a kind of "two trigger" proposition. One the one hand, those schools have to become so completely put off by the developments within the PAC 12 that they would be willing to leave. On the other hand, the media rights math would still have to work in order for them to be brought into the Big 12 - their inclusion would have to warrant a $31.6mm per school media rights distribution over the new 6-year term of the agreement. Otherwise, it won't work; the existing Big 12 members aren't going to accept dilution.

The issue of dilution with respect to media rights distributions is where UCONN comes in. You guys can't deliver full membership entry into that conference while allowing them to maintain that $31.6mm per school payout. If you get invited, it will be on the basis of some form of double secret probation deal. It may be basketball only plus your other sports except for football (no getting around that) for perhaps a little more money and a promise to consider bringing you in as a full member, subject to UCONN meeting certain performance thresholds in football.

All of this is rather fascinating to watch unfold. Most college football fans on the outside looking in at the UCONN situation, if they're looking at that at all, shake their heads at the idea of UCONN believing it can be relevant in the sport, especially in today's environment. Hard core UCONN fans appear to be blinded by the idea that UCONN is not too far off and that it can become relevant again, because it managed to get there briefly before. That occurred in a very different environment than what exists now.

I get that UCONN finds the money and the all sports nature of the Big 12 attractive. It just seems as though it has now become a bridge too far UCONN. $30mm off the top to leave the Big East. An entry fee to get into the Big 12. Possibly a stepped up basis for the distributions it would receive for a period of time. All that happening within a 6-year media deal framework. And as part of a conference that will most likely be #3 in the pecking order, but only because the PAC 12 will become the walking dead and the ACC will remain the walking wounded due to its GOR structure. Very importantly, as has been mentioned by a number of AD's over the last few years, modern big time college football has become an arms race. More money may come into the coffers, but the spending will increase in an effort to maintain some level of parity.

Beyond all that, notwithstanding the strength of the Big 12 in college hoops, UCONN will have walked away from the MSG/BET and its natural northeastern playpen, which could very well damage its recruiting pipeline.

Nothing new here. Just another hot summer day, waiting for the next big thing to break in what has become an industry. So much for ivy covered walls, etc.
XAVIER
Xudash

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board