Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby adoraz » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:21 pm

Given that the Big 12 has had talks with a new school every week for the past year, I figured that they were using UConn for leverage. Not surprised, but pretty dumb on UConn's part promoting this. Devalues both their own brand and the Big East's during ongoing TV contract negotiations.
Johnnies
adoraz

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Xudash » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:46 pm

The last time the Big 12 considered expansion with Texas and Oklahoma still a part of it, they couldn’t get there. The numbers didn’t work. I recall that episode involving UC and Houston and UCF, in particular. Remember the consulting study and all of the analysis that was poured into that effort?

So, now with Texas and Oklahoma leaving, the remaining conference schools add UC, Houston, UCF and BYU and salvage $31 million per school per year (media distribution).

That has to be the new benchmark, right? $31 million. If Yormark can break off the four corners schools from the PAC, it would be a win for the conference, even if their additions fail to increase the $31 million per school - he will have killed the PAC as a threat.

How on God’s earth does he bring in UCONN and maintain $31 million payouts per school? How does he do that regardless of what happens with the PAC schools? Seriously, UConn football is virtually worthless and certainly too remote.

Gumby, great post with a number of sober observations. One very serious thing to consider with one of the things that you mentioned has to do with the idea of UCONN eventually attempting to come back to the Big East after all of this blows up in its face - again. I would think that we would slap a new exit fee on them that would be north of $30 million the next time around. But I doubt we would take it that far, as they would be in no position at that point to be able to pay any form of exit fee after they blow up from this crusade, were they to pursue it.

Free will is a bitch. Things do change with time. Where would Holy Cross be had it made a better decision? The University of Chicago once played in the Big Ten!

If UCONN leaves the BE now and this blows up in their face, they will more likely end up in the backseat, or as a footnote and not in the vehicle at all.

There comes a moment when you simply have to accept who you are, and UCONN is a player in basketball, but not in football. Especially now. Especially where this is truly headed with two behemoth conferences that will truly control everything. It would have been hard even had UCONN maintained a level of football performance close to what it was achieving about 10 years ago. UCONN is simply very ill equipped to deal with “college football“ as it exists and for where it is headed.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby admin » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:40 pm

Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark said Friday that the conference has "a plan" when it comes to expansion, and while league leaders are satisfied with their current membership, they continue to explore "all options and considerations at this point in time."

A source who participated in the meetings this week told ESPN there were no votes on membership, but there were discussions about scenarios.

Yormark, who addressed reporters via videoconference after the Big 12 spring meetings in West Virginia, was asked specifically about the possibility of Gonzaga or another school joining the conference as a basketball-only member.

"We do see the upside in basketball moving forward for all the right reasons," Yormark said without mentioning any specific schools. "We think it's undervalued and there's a chance for us to double down as the No. 1 basketball conference in America, but football is the driver and we all know that.

"As we think about the future and ways to create value," he added, "there is always that option to decouple basketball from football to see if there's further value we can create for the conference."

A source told ESPN that UConn and Gonzaga were "certainly talked about" in the meetings, which were held at the posh Greenbrier resort, but the presidents and chancellors are in a holding pattern until the Pac-12 announces its television deal.

The Big 12 is adding four members -- BYU, Houston, Cincinnati and UCF -- in time for the college football season.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... touts-plan
admin
Site Admin

Postby UD Flyer Fanatic » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:25 pm

https://wvsportsnow.com/report-big-12-e ... g-gonzaga/

This article is purely speculation, and I was surprised to see us even mentioned in passing. That said, there are aggressive plans afoot, and if the Big12 is open to inviting non-football members they could put together quite a strong basketball conference. I know many of you don't think we're valuable enough to partner with, but as I have said on this thread- even though it's a self-serving comment- I think it's time for the BE to circle the wagons and expand with the devil(s) you know- like minded institutions that emphasis MBB. Even if that means only SLU & VCU.

You can wait for the SEC/ACC to make decisions, but unless Val really thinks ND or Duke are ready to become BB only BE members, it may be dangerous to assume the A10's prominent schools will be there waiting for you forever.
UD Flyer Fanatic

Postby adoraz » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:37 pm

The odds of the Big 12 adding Dayton are zero. Based on comments from earlier today they're looking to make a nationwide conference and had discussions with Gonzaga (one end of country) and UConn (other end). Both of those schools are behind the Pac 12 additions, which is who they're really after. Besides the fact that Dayton is too close to Cincinnati, both UConn and Gonzaga are miles ahead of Dayton in terms of basketball prestige. If Dayton were in New York then maybe they'd have a shot.

I'm thinking that rumors from a few months ago of Villanova, St. John, and UConn being targeted by the Big 12 were true, but UConn is the only school to show interest in return. Just because they're unable to poach the non-football portion of the Big East doesn't mean they'd ever consider Dayton, though.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:44 am

Death - taxes - Dayton fans predicting their program about to be scooped up so they can take their place among the National hoops elites. I appreciate your consistency Flyer.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby X-man » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:48 am

UD Flyer Fanatic wrote:https://wvsportsnow.com/report-big-12-expansion-negotiations-to-discuss-adding-gonzaga/

This article is purely speculation, and I was surprised to see us even mentioned in passing. That said, there are aggressive plans afoot, and if the Big12 is open to inviting non-football members they could put together quite a strong basketball conference. I know many of you don't think we're valuable enough to partner with, but as I have said on this thread- even though it's a self-serving comment- I think it's time for the BE to circle the wagons and expand with the devil(s) you know- like minded institutions that emphasis MBB. Even if that means only SLU & VCU.

You can wait for the SEC/ACC to make decisions, but unless Val really thinks ND or Duke are ready to become BB only BE members, it may be dangerous to assume the A10's prominent schools will be there waiting for you forever.

Not worried because there's not an A10 team worth pursuing under any circumstances...particularly the Cryers.
Xavier will surprise. Never count them out of the Dance.
X-man

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:18 pm

I’m confused why the Big 12 would want UConn. I know the Huskies have an elite basketball pedigree, but they are in a football wasteland.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Savannah Jay » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:47 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:

Here's what you guys are heading for... 1. You're not a FB school. Temple thought it was a FB school. Syracuse thought it was a FB school. They sunk millions into chasing the brass ring and their demise is imminent. The best ACC FB schools will get gobbled up. Heck, why stop at 16. Those 2 conference might become (2) 20+ team conferences. UT and OU are just the start. Everyone else is a FB mid major at that point. UConn is not a FB school; they will not survive additional realignment (a year, 2 years, 5 years from now). Just a matter of when...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Agreed, though I'd put forth that 2/3 of the FBS schools are already mid-majors. The powers that be should just go ahead and put the schools that invest heavily in football, have a football driven fan base/culture and generate revenue as a result, into their own division. Regardless of current conference affiliations, the idea that Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. are playing the same level of football as Duke, UConn, Boston College, Kansas, any school with a directional name, etc., is naive. We already know the pool of schools from which the playoff teams will come from...and it's not a long list.

Every time realignment and the possibility of "super conferences" get mentioned, I wonder if the Vanderbilt board of trustees look at each other and say, "Do you think they remember we're still in the SEC?"
Savannah Jay

Postby DeltaV » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:50 am

Savannah Jay wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:

Here's what you guys are heading for... 1. You're not a FB school. Temple thought it was a FB school. Syracuse thought it was a FB school. They sunk millions into chasing the brass ring and their demise is imminent. The best ACC FB schools will get gobbled up. Heck, why stop at 16. Those 2 conference might become (2) 20+ team conferences. UT and OU are just the start. Everyone else is a FB mid major at that point. UConn is not a FB school; they will not survive additional realignment (a year, 2 years, 5 years from now). Just a matter of when...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Agreed, though I'd put forth that 2/3 of the FBS schools are already mid-majors. The powers that be should just go ahead and put the schools that invest heavily in football, have a football driven fan base/culture and generate revenue as a result, into their own division. Regardless of current conference affiliations, the idea that Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. are playing the same level of football as Duke, UConn, Boston College, Kansas, any school with a directional name, etc., is naive. We already know the pool of schools from which the playoff teams will come from...and it's not a long list.

Every time realignment and the possibility of "super conferences" get mentioned, I wonder if the Vanderbilt board of trustees look at each other and say, "Do you think they remember we're still in the SEC?"

In all seriousness, this would be a great way to set up a euro football style relegation system, just for football.

Take the top however many teams, the Alabama's, Ohio State's, and put them in the champions league. You could probably get two more legit tiers before we really stop caring. Bottom teams drop down, top teams get promoted.

Other than the fact that your average football fan would have a seizure doing anything "euro style", wouldn't that work out? And stop football from screwing up local rivalries in all other sports
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board