Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby GreatDaneAttorney » Fri May 19, 2023 9:22 am

One of the biggest "wins" for the SEC in realignment is that they've kept their footprint really small, they're still a regional conference.

In this next round of realignment, the Big East might have the potential to add really great schools within our existing footprint. Would be cool to get to 14 teams without increasing travel requirements at all.
GreatDaneAttorney

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DeltaV » Fri May 19, 2023 10:38 am

billyjack wrote:My list, May 2023, if available:
- Notre Dame.
- Syracuse.

I know people like the Irish, but I think if there's another big round of realignment they'll see the writing on the wall that independence no longer works and will join the BIG. Maybe I'm wrong, but there is a LOT of money at stake, and I'm guessing their NBC contact won't be that big.

Also, do we really want Syracuse? I know they're historical, but are they still going to be good post boeheim? They've had some rough years, and he pulled stuff out of his behind in March to still be successful. Will his replacement be as capable?
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby GreatDaneAttorney » Fri May 19, 2023 1:04 pm

Basically the same argument exists for Gonzaga. And it was completely fair to be worried about Creighton, Xavier, and Butler when they joined the league. Expansion is always a gamble.
GreatDaneAttorney

Postby DudeAnon » Fri May 19, 2023 4:04 pm

I'd say Syracuse and Pitt are the only no-brainers if they become available. They have as much legacy in the conference as UConn and would instantly add multiple rivalries for each school.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Omaha1 » Tue May 23, 2023 6:39 am

Brett McMurphy tweeted the following:

Washington State president Kirk Schulz says WSU athletics will have “temporary freeze on all current & future vacant positions until further review, as well as a pause on non-essential travel, purchases & new professional development” because of “significant decrease in Pac-12 revenue distribution as result of overpayments from one of the conference media partners that must be resolved. Relocation of the Pac‑12 headquarters out of San Francisco exceeded budget projections as well. Additionally, WSU projects that Cougar Athletics exceeded its expenditures for the year due to inadequate documentation of revenues and expenses.”

Can’t imagine schools like Oregon, Washington and Stanford are going to want to live in this neighborhood much longer.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue May 23, 2023 4:53 pm

Tramel reporting "signs" are Colorado returning to the Big 12.

Still think the PAC *could* survive without just Colorado, but if any other member leaves, I think the league falls part (if it hasn't already behind closed doors). If the Big 12 adds several PAC schools, wonder what ripples that does for the ACC. It will all depend on the Big 12 amended TV deal with added members I suppose.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Xudash » Tue May 23, 2023 6:06 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Tramel reporting "signs" are Colorado returning to the Big 12.

Still think the PAC *could* survive without just Colorado, but if any other member leaves, I think the league falls part (if it hasn't already behind closed doors). If the Big 12 adds several PAC schools, wonder what ripples that does for the ACC. It will all depend on the Big 12 amended TV deal with added members I suppose.

Between this news and the news about Washington State's budget tightening moves, the PAC is clearly headed in the wrong direction.

The football crazies on UCONN's Boneyard site will not be pleased. They apparently have been looking forward to exiting our "CHURCH LEAGUE" in favor of hanging out with some old and new friends in the prairie regions.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu May 25, 2023 6:56 am

Man it seems like UConn is stuck in 2013 and not seeing the realities of 2023. Stop me if you've seen this play before. Schools hear the siren calls of big football money only to see their athletics crash against the rocky shores. UConn is not a football school. It is a BB school. If they chase the glory of the B12 or ACC thinking they'll put themselves into the drivers seat for big $, they'll usher in their own demise. The beauty of the BE for UConn is the regional rivalries, the fertile recruiting grounds and MSG / BET. It's a huge part of who they are. Danny-boy made it the cornerstone of his recruiting pitch the last few years, and look where it got him. Do we need to pull out the old pics of the AAC tourney with 2/3 of the building empty?

So let's say the move to the B12 is a BB decision. Do they really want to build the rivalries with Tex Tech, TCU and K St.? Good luck with that.

We are in a GREAT position. We are THE preeminent hoops conference. We can compete in this new world of NIL b/c our alums only need to feed 12-13 mouths instead of 100. You're seeing it in the Big10--Mich fans are funding FB NIL and BB can't compete. Dickenson left Mich for 7 figures. While there, he reportedly got $80k.

Wait for the dust to settle. Duke, KU, Cuse, Wake, are all schools that are more BB schools than FB. Even with huge payouts, those schools aren't thriving because of FB. If the rest of the big FB schools in their conferences bolt, they'll be left in a very untenable position. Then is when we offer a life line and we become a super hoops conference.

And for all those who say, why would we add Cuse, let me point you in the direction of Chicago and ask if you'd rather have Cuse w/ their 6 FF's and a NC or DePaul?
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Burrito » Thu May 25, 2023 9:15 am

If UConn were to be invited by the Big 12 or the ACC, they would have to accept. You cannot turn down a $20-25 Million payout each year for your football team alone.

I highly doubt the Big 12 would invite UConn though. They will have better football options from the PAC 12 or even possibly the ACC down the road after the SEC raids the ACC.

I'm more worried about the ACC possibly backfilling with UConn once the ACC is raided. But that probably wouldn't happen until the ACC GOR expires in over a decade.
Burrito

Postby MUPanther » Thu May 25, 2023 10:05 am

kayako wrote:
Savannah Jay wrote:
Big XII has a new TV deal with substantially higher payouts, in spite of losing Texas and Oklahoma. The old deal paid about $45 million per school and new deal is an increase (but kicks in after 2025). Annual value of their TV deal increases from $220 per to $380 million.

https://www.si.com/college/tcu/football/big-12-conference-inks-2-3-billion-media-rights-deal-with-espn-fox-sports

$45 million per school is about 10 times what the Big East pays out per school.

My napkin says $31M per school, but who's counting.

It's been everywhere at $31M per school.
https://frontofficesports.com/big-12-ac ... %20returns.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board