Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby DudeAnon » Wed May 17, 2023 12:11 pm

UConn really made history in conference realignment by choosing institutional fit over $ when joining the Big East. They immediately saw success and almost near universal acceptance that it was the right choice. Sadly, I think if the Big 12 offer comes they will take it. Big 12 is a good football conference, a great basketball conference and offers more $. It is what it is. That being said, football is the driver of these decisions still so I would still be pretty surprised if UConn gets the invite given the historical futility of their football program.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jasper67 » Wed May 17, 2023 6:00 pm

GreatDaneAttorney wrote:Lots of smoke coming out of the ACC (i.e. "The Magnificent 7" schools trying to leave). We might end up in a situation where Pitt, Syracuse, Boston College, Wake, and maybe even Duke are on the table for a reimagined Big East, at least at some point in the future.

The Big East will have lots to talk about in its strategic planning sessions.

I’d rather have Gonzaga even with all of the logistical problems.
Jasper67

Postby Jasper67 » Wed May 17, 2023 6:47 pm

DudeAnon wrote:UConn really made history in conference realignment by choosing institutional fit over $ when joining the Big East. They immediately saw success and almost near universal acceptance that it was the right choice. Sadly, I think if the Big 12 offer comes they will take it. Big 12 is a good football conference, a great basketball conference and offers more $. It is what it is. That being said, football is the driver of these decisions still so I would still be pretty surprised if UConn gets the invite given the historical futility of their football program.

BC makes a lot more money, but there sports teams are in tatters. Does UConn want to end up in the same boat? They’ve already tried competing in a conference that involved shipping their teams out to the middle of the country and that was a disaster. The Big 12 offers more of the same problems. No natural rivals. Horrible travel. Diminished fan interest. They might do it just because the dollars are so tempting, but I think they’ll think twice about it. Teams like UConn need to realize that they had a good thing going with Big East Football. Maybe that will come back together in some form.
Jasper67

Postby gosports1 » Wed May 17, 2023 8:07 pm

This B12 nonsense is getting out of hand. Who aren't they interested in? If you believed all the reports and rumors they'd be about 40 teams in the B12. I still think that if UConn ever left it would be for whatever the ACC becomes once its members go to the B1G and SEC
gosports1

Postby GreatDaneAttorney » Wed May 17, 2023 10:19 pm

gosports1 wrote:This B12 nonsense is getting out of hand. Who aren't they interested in? If you believed all the reports and rumors they'd be about 40 teams in the B12.

So much this.

And hey, more power to them if they're able to maneuver this period of realignment into a better position, but geez, the Big XII has lost Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado, Texas A&M, Texas, and Oklahoma, and Big XII fanboys would have you thinking they're on top of the realignment world.
GreatDaneAttorney

Postby Burrito » Thu May 18, 2023 10:26 am

I just don't see the Big 12 considering adding UConn. If the Big Ten grabs Washington and Oregon, some of the remaining PAC schools may be interested in joining the Big 12 at that point.

The ACC is already seen as a mediocre football conference. If the SEC invites Florida State and Clemson, and the ACC responds by inviting UConn + whoever, that is now an awful football conference.
Burrito

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu May 18, 2023 10:43 am

Surprise surprise,

Lookie here will ya, Renewed talk via SI, others, irt a possible
split in the ACC. Hmmm, where have I heard this before? Ohhh yeah,
right here on the ol’ HLOH. GreatDaneAttorney, radiowirez, good promotion fellas.

Fellas. As I stated previously, It’ll be Duke, ND (keeping FB indy), and currently cratering S’Cuse.
As for any other former BE minions- Pitt, BC, etc? Good luck in the reconfigured ACC. C’mon ACC - implode now or at least prior to summer 2025 (BE negotiations window).

Even with the departure GoR windfall the 3 above will not be happy in a glorified C-USA/AAC. The f__king Irish will bolt first, soon followed by S’Cuse, then finally-after much internal wrangling, infighting , with a bit of Bohica thrown in for good measure- Puke, errr, Duke will also join the Big East. After all, Duke IS a NYC based team, lol.

As for new BE money, as is or with the Zags, I’m seeing $9million/annually/school (11 schools). BE minimum tally = $126M Yr /$756M 6 Yrs.

When Duke-ND-Syracuse join (14 schools) that tally jumps to an astounding $11-12/annually/school. BE minimum tally = $154M Yr/$924M 6 Yrs. Hell, with that particular 14 team setup, we’ll break the $1B mark. THE undisputed, pre-eminent, king-o-the -hill of College Hoops!
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby kayako » Thu May 18, 2023 10:41 pm

Savannah Jay wrote:
Big XII has a new TV deal with substantially higher payouts, in spite of losing Texas and Oklahoma. The old deal paid about $45 million per school and new deal is an increase (but kicks in after 2025). Annual value of their TV deal increases from $220 per to $380 million.

https://www.si.com/college/tcu/football/big-12-conference-inks-2-3-billion-media-rights-deal-with-espn-fox-sports

$45 million per school is about 10 times what the Big East pays out per school.

My napkin says $31M per school, but who's counting.
supernova
kayako

Postby billyjack » Fri May 19, 2023 8:21 am

https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/uconn/ ... 104155.php

Benedict said. “I think you can look around the country and identify programs in those conferences that aren't winning national championships or are competitive at that level. In some cases, members of [Power Five] conferences are still losing a lot of money on an annual basis, even though they're getting five times more than we are. So it is not a direct or the only correlative factor in demonstrated success or future success. It certainly can help offset the financial piece. But I would have no interest in going into a situation — this is me, personally, speaking — where you're going to get more money but you're not going to be competitive in anything. That is not attractive to me, at all. And that certainly was a factor in making the move back to the Big East.
Providence
billyjack

Postby billyjack » Fri May 19, 2023 8:44 am

My list, May 2023, if available:
- Notre Dame.
- Syracuse.
Providence
billyjack

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board