Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby GreatDaneAttorney » Tue May 16, 2023 12:27 pm

I don't see any scenario where UConn ends up in the Big XII after immediately finding success again in the Big East.

Frankly, Big XII fans have been drinking the copium, and I don't think they realize they're just the AAC 2.0 now with a (temporarily) higher TV deal.
GreatDaneAttorney

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Xudash » Tue May 16, 2023 2:16 pm

GreatDaneAttorney wrote:I don't see any scenario where UConn ends up in the Big XII after immediately finding success again in the Big East.

Frankly, Big XII fans have been drinking the copium, and I don't think they realize they're just the AAC 2.0 now with a (temporarily) higher TV deal.

I agree with you. At the very least, I mostly agree with you. I mention that based upon the remote possibility that we could lose them.

I totally agree with you about the disposition of Big 12 fans at this point. It depends upon where you sit, right? If you are TCU or Baylor, you cannot be happy with where this is headed. Otherwise, UC fans think they’ve made it to the promised land.

Can someone please share what the exit fee is for UConn in the event they were to leave the big east.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Savannah Jay » Tue May 16, 2023 2:18 pm

GreatDaneAttorney wrote:I don't see any scenario where UConn ends up in the Big XII after immediately finding success again in the Big East.

Big XII has a new TV deal with substantially higher payouts, in spite of losing Texas and Oklahoma. The old deal paid about $45 million per school and new deal is an increase (but kicks in after 2025). Annual value of their TV deal increases from $220 per to $380 million.

https://www.si.com/college/tcu/football/big-12-conference-inks-2-3-billion-media-rights-deal-with-espn-fox-sports

$45 million per school is about 10 times what the Big East pays out per school.
Savannah Jay

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue May 16, 2023 8:28 pm

As it pains me to say, I think it is inevitable UConn departs again (either for the B12 or a reimagined ACC).

It also wouldn't shock me in the least to see BC back when it's all said and done. They won't be wanted by the B1G; they won't be wanted by the B12; depending on what's left, there may not be an ACC worth returning to.

They can take UConn's place as the BE/Independent program in the NE. I think Syracuse and Pitt find a landing spot.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby radiowirez » Wed May 17, 2023 12:09 am

the hubris of the ACC showing a million hairline cracks is delicious after what they did to the BE 10 years ago. I think they are doomed, and if the stories of the 'Magnificent 7' are true and they are foolish enough to leave Duke out, we absolutely need to swoop in and scoop them up on a UConn style deal.

If I had to divvy up the remains of the ACC to the conference I think most likely to take them - I think it would go like this:

Clemson - SEC
Florida State - SEC
Miami - SEC
Virginia Tech - SEC
North Carolina – Big 10
NC State - Big 10
Virginia - Big 10
Notre Dame - Big 10
Pittsburgh - Big 12
Louisville - Big 12
Syracuse - Big East
Duke - Big East
Wake Forest - AAC
Georgia Tech - AAC
Boston College - AAC
radiowirez

Postby radiowirez » Wed May 17, 2023 12:12 am

However realignment shakes out though, I hope we only focus on the true cream of the crop schools, and not outfits like SLU (we're a big boy conference, have some self respect and act like it)

That means the realistic candidates are: Syracuse, Duke, Gonzaga, St Marys, Kansas, Notre Dame. Basically any school where football doesn't exist, or is bad enough or independent enough to not drive the schools decisions.
radiowirez

Postby radiowirez » Wed May 17, 2023 12:24 am

Savannah Jay wrote:

Big XII has a new TV deal with substantially higher payouts, in spite of losing Texas and Oklahoma. The old deal paid about $45 million per school and new deal is an increase (but kicks in after 2025). Annual value of their TV deal increases from $220 per to $380 million.

https://www.si.com/college/tcu/football/big-12-conference-inks-2-3-billion-media-rights-deal-with-espn-fox-sports

$45 million per school is about 10 times what the Big East pays out per school.

Its genuinely crazy they managed to increase payout after losing Texas and OU. The previous B12 TV deal was 80% to football, so if that still holds true, thats about 6.3 million per school for basketball. Thats not a bad barometer for what the BE might get on their next deal (and I bet we'll surpass it a little bit, especially if we add another school).
radiowirez

Postby radiowirez » Wed May 17, 2023 12:25 am

Gonzaga and UConn are doing a NYC-Seattle series. Anyone think this is testing the waters to see if Gonzaga can handle the travel for joining the BE?

https://www.theuconnblog.com/2023/5/16/ ... site-games
radiowirez

Postby sju88grad » Wed May 17, 2023 10:39 am

I love that the ACC is collapsing. Karma is a b…. In reality, they did the Big East a favor. We added 3 great programs and have consistently been ranked in the top 3-4 conferences every year……The ACC is not what it once was…..
sju88grad

Postby GreatDaneAttorney » Wed May 17, 2023 12:03 pm

Notre Dame made their deal with the ACC in part because scheduling as an independent had become more difficult with conference expansion. If the ACC implodes, there's a chance that more schools go independent, meaning Notre Dame no longer needs the ACC's 5 games per year, and could therefore join the Big East as an Olympic-sports member.

I dunno folks, I'm pretty excited about the future of the Big East. Good chance for the league to make big moves within 5-10 years.
GreatDaneAttorney

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board