Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby billyjack » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:51 pm

adoraz wrote:
FenwayFriar wrote:Not that I ever believed some WVU nobody, but Val doesn't seem too concerned about any defections, whether it be to B12 or anywhere else. I'd find it very hard to believe she'd be this open about it if she wasn't extremely confident.

https://frontofficesports.com/basketball-conference-can-still-survive-thrive-in-ncaa/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=article-sharing

“We don’t have sort of [realignment] ‘flight risks,’ we don’t have the distractions, we don’t have the expenses that go into supporting football,” Ackerman told Front Office Sports in between Big East Tournament games on Thursday. “What we’ve got now suits us. This is who we are. We’re basketball schools.”

“There’s an irony here, with respect to our stability,” Ackerman said. “Because the Big East was one of the hardest-hit conferences of all time back 15-20 years ago when schools started leaving, mostly to go to the ACC, because of football.”

UConn's AD and football coach are definitely pushing for a P5 invite, that's public knowledge, but I think it's unlikely to happen before we sign the next TV contract. It could happen right around when the next TV contract starts, though.

As for the Big 12 rumors I don't buy that the Big East schools would be interested (outside of UConn if football were included).

Luckily, working in our favor with UConn is that Jim Mora is a total milquetoast. I'm not sure if he even sets off the automatic doors when he goes to enter a Stop N Shop.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Xudash » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:23 pm

billyjack wrote:
adoraz wrote:
FenwayFriar wrote:Not that I ever believed some WVU nobody, but Val doesn't seem too concerned about any defections, whether it be to B12 or anywhere else. I'd find it very hard to believe she'd be this open about it if she wasn't extremely confident.

https://frontofficesports.com/basketball-conference-can-still-survive-thrive-in-ncaa/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=article-sharing

“We don’t have sort of [realignment] ‘flight risks,’ we don’t have the distractions, we don’t have the expenses that go into supporting football,” Ackerman told Front Office Sports in between Big East Tournament games on Thursday. “What we’ve got now suits us. This is who we are. We’re basketball schools.”

“There’s an irony here, with respect to our stability,” Ackerman said. “Because the Big East was one of the hardest-hit conferences of all time back 15-20 years ago when schools started leaving, mostly to go to the ACC, because of football.”

UConn's AD and football coach are definitely pushing for a P5 invite, that's public knowledge, but I think it's unlikely to happen before we sign the next TV contract. It could happen right around when the next TV contract starts, though.

As for the Big 12 rumors I don't buy that the Big East schools would be interested (outside of UConn if football were included).

Luckily, working in our favor with UConn is that Jim Mora is a total milquetoast. I'm not sure if he even sets off the automatic doors when he goes to enter a Stop N Shop.

Fenway - - Thanks for sharing that article.

The bullseye comment for me from Val: But she agrees the conference is dealing from a position of strength — particularly compared to its rebirth a decade ago.

We certainly appear to be heading in the right direction in a fluid situation.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby kayako » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:21 pm

adoraz wrote:

I think the B12 will try to create a prisoner's dilemma situation, if they are indeed interested in a couple of BE schools. I hope the school presidents are communicating.
supernova
kayako

Postby ArmyVet » Fri May 12, 2023 1:54 pm

Western Illinois leaving the Summit League for the OVC.
ArmyVet

Postby FenwayFriar » Sat May 13, 2023 9:37 am

Le Moyne College in Syracuse is moving up from Division II to Division I, joining the Northeast Conference.
FenwayFriar

Postby GreatDaneAttorney » Mon May 15, 2023 4:28 pm

Lots of smoke coming out of the ACC (i.e. "The Magnificent 7" schools trying to leave). We might end up in a situation where Pitt, Syracuse, Boston College, Wake, and maybe even Duke are on the table for a reimagined Big East, at least at some point in the future.

The Big East will have lots to talk about in its strategic planning sessions.
GreatDaneAttorney

Postby DeltaV » Mon May 15, 2023 7:08 pm

GreatDaneAttorney wrote:Lots of smoke coming out of the ACC (i.e. "The Magnificent 7" schools trying to leave). We might end up in a situation where Pitt, Syracuse, Boston College, Wake, and maybe even Duke are on the table for a reimagined Big East, at least at some point in the future.

The Big East will have lots to talk about in its strategic planning sessions.

No offense, but the other seven aren't going to give up football and run to the Big East. The remainder will still be a strong conference with a focus on academics. I think it's much more likely that they create (or keep the ACC name and exit fees) an all sports conference that still emphasizes the student part of student athlete.

Maybe Vanderbilt gets sick of the semi pro SEC and joins, or they pick up Tulane on the basis of their academics, but if I were the Big East I'd be a lot more worried about them poaching UConn, Nova, or maybe Georgetown (if they hadn't been bad the last decade or had a decent football team) than excited about who we were going to pick up.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby gosports1 » Mon May 15, 2023 9:25 pm

If anything were to happen to the ACC , it won't be for a few years. The 8 not mentioned IMO, would stay in the ACC and likely invite Cincy, WVU UCF, Tulane and 1 or 3 of the following Memphis SMU, Houston, USF, Temple. ND as usual would be the wild card.

BC
Syracuse
Pitt
Duke
Wake
Louisville
Ga Tech
Cincy
WVU
UCF
Tulane
12.USF
13. SNU
14.Houston
15. Temple
16. Memphis full or ND as it is now
gosports1

Postby GreatDaneAttorney » Tue May 16, 2023 8:31 am

I never said they'd give up football. UConn didn't.

These leftover ACC schools might be left with difficult choices, and certainly the former Big East ACC teams like Pitt and Syracuse (and don't forget Notre Dame) now seem much more likely to end up in the Big East than they did just last week.

Big East expansion should always be focused on poaching from the P5 rather than getting schools from the A10, for instance.

EDIT: I'll take this a step further and say that expansion teams 12, 13, and 14 should be Notre Dame, Pitt, and Syracuse.
GreatDaneAttorney

Postby DudeAnon » Tue May 16, 2023 9:28 am

https://www.si.com/college/2023/05/15/c ... onferences

UConn listed as a possible expansion target for the Big 12. https://www.si.com/college/2023/05/15/c ... onferences

Easy come, easy go.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board