Yuck.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Re: NIT- Villanova at 2 Liberty

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby hoops22 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:29 pm

Neptune isn't the highest paid coach. A lot of those numbers you see posted on different sites are way off the mark.
hoops22

Postby kayako » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:15 pm

hoops22 wrote:Neptune isn't the highest paid coach. A lot of those numbers you see posted on different sites are way off the mark.

I hope so.

Just waiting for omahaguy to drop the hammer on our season...
supernova
kayako

Re: NIT- Villanova at 3 Liberty

Postby MullinMayhem » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:27 am

I get that missing 1 or 2 key players can absolutely affect the season performance. But man, to go from RANKED preseason to 17-17 and nowhere near the NCAAT is not a good look. All season long I was questioning if Neptune was the guy. I kept hearing they would turn it around, it's early. They never did really. Yes he just finished his 1st season, but it's Villanova. If you inherit a family fortune and the keys to a Lambo, a mansion, etc. it's kind of expected that you succeed right away. The jury is still out overall of course, but not a good start for Neptune. I think many discount the impact a HOF coach has. Duke took big step back (albeit still good), UNC took big step back, Nova took a huge step back...I'm highly doubtful Neptune is the guy but that's my gut. Minimum he should be winning 20+ games annually and making NCAAT every yr.
MullinMayhem

Postby hoops22 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:09 am

Yeah I agree, a step back wouldn't have been a surprise, but this much of a decline was unexpected. Equally alarming, Neptune knows he's losing three starters, but the incoming recruiting class is nowhere near up to Nova's standards of recent years. They really need to be hugely successful with the transfer portal this year. The flip side of that is they can't afford to lose guys, especially Moore and Dixon. I can't be certain this is true, but rumors are Louisville will be extremely active in the transfer market this off season, and Moore is a guy they've targeted and had indirect contact with. A strong Nova is good for the league, I hope Neptune is up to the challenge.
hoops22

Postby ArmyVet » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:24 pm

hoops22 wrote:Yeah I agree, a step back wouldn't have been a surprise, but this much of a decline was unexpected. Equally alarming, Neptune knows he's losing three starters, but the incoming recruiting class is nowhere near up to Nova's standards of recent years. They really need to be hugely successful with the transfer portal this year. The flip side of that is they can't afford to lose guys, especially Moore and Dixon. I can't be certain this is true, but rumors are Louisville will be extremely active in the transfer market this off season, and Moore is a guy they've targeted and had indirect contact with. A strong Nova is good for the league, I hope Neptune is up to the challenge.

Cam listed as #7 pick in NBA draft projection. If Nova would have told him to play, that would have looked worse to potential high level recruits than anything else.
ArmyVet

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board