NCAAT- UConn vs Iona

The home for Big East hoops

Re: NCAAT- UConn vs Iona

Postby billyjack » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:46 am

kayako wrote:
Wizard of Westroads wrote:Is everybody on the board going to root for UConn?

I have a feeling it's probably split, but I root for all BE teams and UCONN is in the BE

Agree, i'm rooting for UConn. Big East baby.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:15 am

Yes will root for UConn in the tourney for sure. Their success is our success (tourney credits).

BUT it's so hard to root for a guy like Hurley. Prior to UConn coming back to the fold I got the sense that the BE coaching fraternity was close. You could tell that they liked and respected each other. All the programs pulled for each other. I think those days are gone.

Let's be honest, he's an ass. The way he acts you would think that he won all those NC's for UConn instead of Calhoun. He acts like a toddler on the sidelines and ignores every opportunity to be gracious. His recent comments about "no doubt that we were going to win," (a BET Championship) sums up Hurley. Zero respect for Shaka and what Marq. had accomplished this year.

He just always finds a way to make it all about him. Complete and utter disrespect for his opponent; thinks he and his team are the center of the Universe. I recall a couple years back after Nova drubbed him that he made a comment that "you better get us now, b/c we're coming," instead of being complimentary and being a gracious loser. Well we're still waiting Danny... Maybe they can (finally) live up to the hype that Danny has placed on his own team. But what I expect is that he's going to do his normal sideline rant, his team will lose composure--Hawkins will be shut down and Sanogo will get in early foul trouble--and they'll be out much earlier than they hoped.

It will be interesting how refs that are not familiar with Hurley treat him. I am of the belief that BE refs just ignore him when he has his meltdowns. Maybe not so much in the tourney.?,
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Omaha1 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:22 am

billyjack wrote:
kayako wrote:

I have a feeling it's probably split, but I root for all BE teams and UCONN is in the BE

Agree, i'm rooting for UConn. Big East baby.

I’ll root for UConn, but doing so gives me pause because so many Huskies fans seem to take delight when other Big East teams do poorly.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby stever20 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:26 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Yes will root for UConn in the tourney for sure. Their success is our success (tourney credits).

BUT it's so hard to root for a guy like Hurley. Prior to UConn coming back to the fold I got the sense that the BE coaching fraternity was close. You could tell that they liked and respected each other. All the programs pulled for each other. I think those days are gone.

Let's be honest, he's an ass. The way he acts you would think that he won all those NC's for UConn instead of Calhoun. He acts like a toddler on the sidelines and ignores every opportunity to be gracious. His recent comments about "no doubt that we were going to win," (a BET Championship) sums up Hurley. Zero respect for Shaka and what Marq. had accomplished this year.

He just always finds a way to make it all about him. Complete and utter disrespect for his opponent; thinks he and his team are the center of the Universe. I recall a couple years back after Nova drubbed him that he made a comment that "you better get us now, b/c we're coming," instead of being complimentary and being a gracious loser. Well we're still waiting Danny... Maybe they can (finally) live up to the hype that Danny has placed on his own team. But what I expect is that he's going to do his normal sideline rant, his team will lose composure--Hawkins will be shut down and Sanogo will get in early foul trouble--and they'll be out much earlier than they hoped.

It will be interesting how refs that are not familiar with Hurley treat him. I am of the belief that BE refs just ignore him when he has his meltdowns. Maybe not so much in the tourney.?,

It's going to be an interesting thing on the refs impact in the tourney as a whole. These BE games with only 3 fouls called in the 1st half? Yeah, that's probably not happening in March.
stever20

Postby Jasper67 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:33 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Yes will root for UConn in the tourney for sure. Their success is our success (tourney credits).

Well said.

I haven’t looked it up, but my impression is that Hurley got a lot more technicals called on him in Nov/Dec than he did during the BE season. So, I suspect you’re right that he’ll run into a different environment in the tournament. I can see him costing his team a game by getting a T in a big spot.
Jasper67

Postby billyjack » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:14 am

I always think Hurley should play Sanogo and Clingan at the same time more often. Sanogo at the 4. Unless Clingan gets tired easily? Or has this been tried and it's failed?
Providence
billyjack

Postby marquette » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:34 pm

UConn gotta figure something out at halftime. I know Iona is good but UConn should win this game.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby kayako » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:07 pm

UCONN is too big for Iona.
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:13 pm

Fortunately for the Huskies the refs are letting them play.
supernova
kayako

Postby Omaha1 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:23 pm

adoraz wrote:

Nope lol

Nice win. Forecasting.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board