Selection Sunday

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Selection Sunday

Postby adoraz » Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:43 pm

Pretty good seeds overall! I wanted to see a 2 seed and Marquette pulled that off. Further, Providence skipped the First 4.

Also, for the first time in the new Big East, I wouldn't mind seeing a team lose. No offense to the UConn posters here, you're great, but UConn has become insufferable this year with claiming they own MSG and the constant public pushes for a P5 invite. Their AD and football coach in particular. Further, Pitino is likely heading to St. John's and it'd be fun to see him upset UConn.

That said, even if UConn wins it'd still be good for the league so I wouldn't mind either way. Should be a really fun game.

Regardless of the UConn result, I hope we go at least 4-1 on Friday.
Johnnies
adoraz

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:48 am

kayako wrote:
stever20 wrote:Only negative is all 5 teams play on Friday....
12:40 Kennesaw St vs Xavier TruTV
2:45 Vermont vs Marquette CBS
4pm NC State vs Creighton TNT
4:30 Iona vs UConn TBS
7:10 Providence vs Kentucky CBS

I've never seen this before, this is terrible.

I think the worse day will be Sunday as all 5 if they win would be playing in 5 of the 8 games on Sunday.
stever20

Postby Jasper67 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:29 am

adoraz wrote:Pretty good seeds overall! I wanted to see a 2 seed and Marquette pulled that off. Further, Providence skipped the First 4.

Also, for the first time in the new Big East, I wouldn't mind seeing a team lose. No offense to the UConn posters here, you're great, but UConn has become insufferable this year with claiming they own MSG and the constant public pushes for a P5 invite. Their AD and football coach in particular. Further, Pitino is likely heading to St. John's and it'd be fun to see him upset UConn.

That said, even if UConn wins it'd still be good for the league so I wouldn't mind either way. Should be a really fun game.

Regardless of the UConn result, I hope we go at least 4-1 on Friday.

Completely agree. They are also constantly whining about the refs and disparaging other BE teams at the same times, claiming that the refs are out to get them and that’s the reason why they lost conference games to teams they think aren’t that good. They still haven’t been able to accept their losses to St. John’s, Seton Hall, and Providence in particular. Insufferable is the right word. Meanwhile their team is led by a foul mouthed coach who curses out refs, yells personal attacks at them, and repeatedly taunts them. Why he didn’t receive more technicals this year is beyond me.
Last edited by Jasper67 on Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper67

Postby XUFan09 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:30 am

stever20 wrote:
kayako wrote:
stever20 wrote:Only negative is all 5 teams play on Friday....
12:40 Kennesaw St vs Xavier TruTV
2:45 Vermont vs Marquette CBS
4pm NC State vs Creighton TNT
4:30 Iona vs UConn TBS
7:10 Providence vs Kentucky CBS

I've never seen this before, this is terrible.

I think the worse day will be Sunday as all 5 if they win would be playing in 5 of the 8 games on Sunday.

Ok, that would be kind of great. Besides the obvious perk that the Big East went 5-0 in round one, it would be Big East basketball over and over on Sunday.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby Jasper67 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:58 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Love MU’s draw. Also PC / UK is one of those made for TV games. I expect Cooley to get the entire team jacked up for BHop. UConn vs Pitino. Fantastic. Jays sneaky as a 6 and X as 3 (respect). Can’t complain about this draw IMO. No BE teams in that 8-9 spot with a juggernaut in R32. I like our chances.

I don’t mean to be dense, Gumby, but why is the PC/UK game made for TV? I’ve seen others say this too and I don’t get it, so help me out. Is it that Bryce Hopkins is a transfer from Kentucky? What am I missing here? Thanks in advance for the help.
Jasper67

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:07 am

Jasper67 wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:Love MU’s draw. Also PC / UK is one of those made for TV games. I expect Cooley to get the entire team jacked up for BHop. UConn vs Pitino. Fantastic. Jays sneaky as a 6 and X as 3 (respect). Can’t complain about this draw IMO. No BE teams in that 8-9 spot with a juggernaut in R32. I like our chances.

I don’t mean to be dense, Gumby, but why is the PC/UK game made for TV? I’ve seen others say this too and I don’t get it, so help me out. Is it that Bryce Hopkins is a transfer from Kentucky? What am I missing here? Thanks in advance for the help.

Yeah it's the Hopkins angle there for sure.

They almost had to set it up too. The other 3 6 seeds- Creighton(not allowed), TCU(played this year), or Iowa St. Iowa State is playing play in game winner of Miss St and Pittsburgh, so Kentucky couldn't go there.
stever20

Postby Jasper67 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:14 am

stever20 wrote:
Jasper67 wrote:

Yeah it's the Hopkins angle there for sure.

They almost had to set it up too. The other 3 6 seeds- Creighton(not allowed), TCU(played this year), or Iowa St. Iowa State is playing play in game winner of Miss St and Pittsburgh, so Kentucky couldn't go there.

Thanks, Stever. In this world of transfer portals and immediate eligibility, I didn’t think that was such a big deal any more. At least not for all the hype it’s getting. But I’m probably just out of touch.
Jasper67

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:19 am

Jasper67 wrote:
Thanks, Stever. In this world of transfer portals and immediate eligibility, I didn’t think that was such a big deal any more. At least not for all the hype it’s getting. But I’m probably just out of touch.

It's maybe not so normally but it's Kentucky and that fan base that we're talking about.

Thought it was funny yesterday hearing Jay Wright saying both of those fan bases are crazy. (Jay Wright by the way has gotten already so good at TV-he's a natural there).
stever20

Postby billyjack » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:55 am

Plus this is probably Calipari's last season at Kentucky. And his fanbase has spent time this year screaming about his non-use of Hopkins last year.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:58 am

billyjack wrote:Plus this is probably Calipari's last season at Kentucky. And his fanbase has spent time this year screaming about his non-use of Hopkins last year.

Good points for sure.

Definitely can see why it's the CBS game in it's timeslot.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board