Big-12... Yormark... Peter McNeeley...

The home for Big East hoops

Postby billyjack » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:52 am

Not to distract from the pinnacle of our Big East season, tonight's final between the Musketeers and Golden Warrior Eagles...

But there have been distractions, some good, and some annoying, which i'd like to put to bed.

TL:DR -- The Big 12 is full of sh-t and no Big East (or Pac-12) school should be dumb enough to hitch their wagon with these clowns.

Anyway...

So the Big-12 and their minions and agents are spreading rumors that they are pursuing Villanova, St John's, and UConn. And Seton Hall at one point. This is the MHver rumor, etc.

I just wasted time over the past several days listening to new Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark in interviews, etc.

Yormark's entire game here is to basically look at his conference, realize it's a piece of sh-t, but deciding to just go balls out as an aggressive chaos agent and a grenade thrower, upsetting apple carts, agitating his glass of Tang, and hoping to distract and confuse, and in that way convince even just one panicky AD to start momentum in the Big 12's favor.

There's been this media push to force Pac-12 schools to make a decision on their futures, now!!!, before they are left out of the action... quick! decide! you must!!

Yormark is just trying to create reality out of a fart that he just blew.

Yesterday, though, the Utah AD tweeted response to a hyper-ventilating Dennis Dodd-- the Utah guy wrote something simple like "gimme a break".

Yormark's strategy here, as the chaos agent who hopes to convince people by sheer nonstop yapping, reminds me of a long ago fight between Peter McNeeley vs Mike Tyson...

McNeeley sucked, had no chance, but convinced himself and others clowns that he could win... he came out of his corner like a crazy man, just flailing his arms like a lunatic... Tyson just fended off this crap, stayed patient, then belted the clown a couple of times.

Anyway, look at the Big 12 separate from the bluster of Yormark...

- had 10 teams, with its two overwhelmingly huge anchors being Texas and Oklahoma.

- lost Texas and Oklahoma.

- crowed about how much money they just made by losing their two most prized possessions.

- will add 4 schools... BYU, Houston, UCF, Cincinnati. Spoke of these 4 additions as being homeruns for the conference.

- step back 12 years... we Big East hoops schools freaked out at the thought of our upcoming marriage to 2 of these schools (Houston, UCF)... we already had Cincinnati but chose to be with Xavier instead.

- the Big-12 has basically no core, right? Which is their main school, their Rock of Gibraltar? Kansas in hoops, but which football school is their rock? TCU?, who we BE hoops schools didn't want to be with 12 years ago? And who lost 89-2 in the national final, absolutely humiliated?

- ok, their media deal... whatever... it's nothing close to the SEC nor Big Ten... so what do they have? Basically of all the conferences that arent the top 2 elite ones, right now the Big-12 has the best deal... hete in March '23... which could easily look like a sh-t deal by March '24.

- anyway, i gotta go... but there is no way Villanova, St John's, etc, could possibly tie themselves to this clown conference with a charlatan Yormark running the show. No way Shanley would let that happen.

- finally, lets look at the future locations of Big-12 schools...
- Houston (ok, but with the city's 3rd favorite college team behind Texas and aTm).
- Fort Worth.
- Waco.
- Stillwater (2nd favorite team in state).
- Lawrence.
- Manhattan... ok they own Kansas.
- Lubbock... ok.
- Ames... 2nd favorite team in Iowa.
- Cincinnati... ok...
- Morgantown... ok...
- Orlando... ok UCF...
- BYU... ok...
... i mean, is this a collection of schools that has any right to be crowing and blustering? how long before Yormark-McNeeley gets pounded to the canvas? How much different is this collection, compared to what Aresco had to work with in the American? The difference is that enough Big 12 agents are so far still hilding to their narrative.

Anyhoo...
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Big-12... Yormark... Peter McNeeley...

Postby billyjack » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:59 am

Also... not anything big but...

- Yormark in some of his various intervuews since last Summer had two odd lines...

- said his appearance at the Cincinnati-Indiana football game last Fall was the first college football game he's been to in years.

- as an Indiana alum, he said he was excited early in the game when the Hoosiers were leading "21 to "zero"...", an odd sports phrase typically uttered by people that don't follow sports. Anyway, those are two minor points.
Providence
billyjack

Postby admin » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:13 am

I agree with pretty much everything stated here. I don't pay close enough attention, but the twitter guy posting random "facts" all of the time seems like a cry for attention.

Why any of the Big East schools would want to align with the Big 12 is a ridiculous notion.
admin
Site Admin

Postby billyjack » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:46 am

admin wrote:I agree with pretty much everything stated here. I don't pay close enough attention, but the twitter guy posting random "facts" all of the time seems like a cry for attention.

Why any of the Big East schools would want to align with the Big 12 is a ridiculous notion.

I know, right?

So the Pac-12 loses UCLA and USC... yes a disaster.

And the Big-12 loses Texas and Okla... yes, also a disaster, period. Except the Big 12 PR machine has called it a net success cuz they got $80 million from the Longhorns and Sooners... and they added ?? Houston, Cinc, UCF, BYU...

So hell, it would be a success for the Pac 12 if they add Fresno and San Diego State and UNLV and eff, give a spot to Cal State Northridge or the Anteaters.

Since Yormark cannot let his foot off the pedal at all, look for more asinine proposals.

"21 to zero". Lol.
Providence
billyjack

Postby aughnanure » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:01 am

As someone who grew up a Big 8/12 fan, I paid attention a lot during the chaos in the early 2010s. Mhver has always been a s*** stirrer who only gets anything right because he’s thrown out every possibility. Fake insider. Most of the boards who’ve been through this laugh at him.

I’ll maintain my point that any revenue increase by joining a non-SEC/B1G football conference like that is minimal (maybe a million or 2). The Big 12 isn’t getting a deal for just their basketball rights worth almost as much as the ACC’s entire deal. Any BE team would be foolish to join. Lose your identity. Be an afterthought basically with no power. And I don’t even see why the Big 12 wouldn’t wait out the eventual picking apart of the ACC anyways. Add the 4 corner schools if they can and just wait at 16. Makes no sense to go nuts to 20 when you could have Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, etc in 5-10 years - and the same goes for the big east schools to wait and see what happens in the ACC and if any leftovers pull a UConn.

But we should still just add Gonzaga and shut everyone up.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes to make it possible”
aughnanure

Postby billyjack » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:39 am

aughnanure wrote:As someone who grew up a Big 8/12 fan, I paid attention a lot during the chaos in the early 2010s. Mhver has always been a s*** stirrer who only gets anything right because he’s thrown out every possibility. Fake insider. Most of the boards who’ve been through this laugh at him.

I’ll maintain my point that any revenue increase by joining a non-SEC/B1G football conference like that is minimal (maybe a million or 2). The Big 12 isn’t getting a deal for just their basketball rights worth almost as much as the ACC’s entire deal. Any BE team would be foolish to join. Lose your identity. Be an afterthought basically with no power. And I don’t even see why the Big 12 wouldn’t wait out the eventual picking apart of the ACC anyways. Add the 4 corner schools if they can and just wait at 16. Makes no sense to go nuts to 20 when you could have Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, etc in 5-10 years - and the same goes for the big east schools to wait and see what happens in the ACC and if any leftovers pull a UConn.

But we should still just add Gonzaga and shut everyone up.

Good post and good to know about MHver too.
Providence
billyjack

Postby billyjack » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:55 am

We should consider Tweet PM-ing the MHver dude, with "inside information" and see if he runs with it.

Something plausible but insane and see if he refers to us as "reliable sources".

Maybe some Marquette-Providence news... if u guys think of something funny i'd be willing to PM the clown.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Xuperman » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:15 pm

billyjack wrote:We should consider Tweet PM-ing the MHver dude, with "inside information" and see if he runs with it.

Something plausible but insane and see if he refers to us as "reliable sources".

Maybe some Marquette-Providence news... if u guys think of something funny i'd be willing to PM the clown.

A good one was posted here earlier.... Chris Mack to Georgetown!
Wisdom is what you get 5 seconds after you needed it.
Xuperman

Postby DeltaV » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:55 am

I would hope the leadership of the schools in question would look at recent history to see that, while we always hear about national viewership and all, in reality being with local like minded teams matters.

It's why UConn came back; they were struggling in a Midwest centric AAC, and are now thriving again in the Big East. Syracuse, Pitt are struggling. Miami improved when they left a big east they really weren't a good fit for, while at the same time BC has fallen off a cliff.

If Villanova throws in with a mish mash Texas based conference, it will be the end of us.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby MUPanther » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:22 pm

The Big East schools will make more $$$ staying than getting a tiny piece in the Big 12. Plus, road games at BYU, Baylor, UCF is not short trips. Doesn't Huggy Bear and WVU complain every year about road trips.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board