Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby Cheech » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:50 pm

Your wrong…not just the play in..goes over a long period of first and second round. You guys are so easy….I will get back soon and fire ya up again…
Cheech

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ArmyVet » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:55 pm

Great stuff. I'm here for all of it.
ArmyVet

Postby Savannah Jay » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:06 pm

Cheech wrote:…they are our little sister

If Xavier is Dayton's little sister, little sister got the good genes and BIG sister gets to live in Dayton.

Carry on.
Savannah Jay

Postby Omaha1 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:14 pm

I had an old buddy text me today sort of out of the blue and asked about conference realignment and whether I’d like divisions should the Big East add teams. I asked what schools he liked as possible additions and he said there were only 3 that he thought would even be worth considering: Notre Dame, Gonzaga, and SLU. I think we can agree the first isn’t happening. Zags have had conversations. SLU would accept in a second if offered. No one else moves the needle even a little bit.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Xudash » Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:11 pm

Novachap wrote:
Cheech wrote:So XU door dash…rhe numbers don’t lie ..your a little regional school with a 200 mill Endowment. You were always second fiddle to Dayton in terms of academics etc. So the VD dump has hosted more NCAA tourney games than any other arena in the country and Dayton makes a nice check for it… your last NCAA game was…???? Oh you can’t host….the building that by the way you can’t sellout is too small and if you have ever been there your parking lot is a joke. Miller was FIRED by Arizona ..Oh your right how was he supposed to know his assistant who got kicked out of CBB was cheating… you had 4 lousy years panicked and hired Sean….I have no doubt that somehow he will get ya back to the tourney…wink….wink…For those of you not from Ohio….again just look at any National data on Dayton Vs X..it’s an unfair fight…they are our little sister. Now they back in the day to there credit had a terrific AD who got then into the BIg East and kudos to him . Beat our guy to the punch. Doordash I don’t know why the angst…..you should be happy about BB and having Sean back …good little commuter school .

Dude, don't get into a logic based discussion with Dash... you are seriously outgunned. "Hosted the most NCAA games" Jesus, it's the friggin play games... nice little tradition and bone. So stop. Now I am an east coast guy, so I don't have as deep an understanding of the "rivalry" as you guys, but the comparison isn't even close from my perspective. And hey, your generational talent, I am a big fan... I have recently become a Knick fan and he comes off the bench, but you keep referencing the covid year, etc. You can't begin to guess how it would have turned out. Trust me, Nova was VERY disappointed that year. We were pretty good, but water under the bridge. Can't hang you hat on what ifs... results matter.

Chap, I can't tell if this bozo is something like 12 years old or living in his parent's doublewide at the age of 31. I do know that I managed to waste a few minutes of my life responding to him. The VD fan base doesn't understand results. They have a frequent and necessary tendency to rely upon excuses.

Boxer is right: Georgetown, then Nova, and then everyone else, but even the everyone else is a solid group of like minded schools - I guess we take UCONN out of this part of the "discussion" since we're primarily talking about the private schools here.

I do believe, based on the track record of the reconfigured Big East, including where things stand this season, and given where we're likely headed with the next media agreement, that the odds of Dayton finding its way into the Big East are no greater than 5%. It truly is an underperforming mid-major stuck in a bad place geographically.

I love the fact that this loser is on the outside, dying to get in. And I enjoy the fact that Xavier will do everything in its power to keep VD boxed out, so long as the conference has other viable options for expansion when expansion time comes. As I stated earlier, Xavier saved UD before by helping it get into the A10 in the 90's. That ship has sailed.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Cheech » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:07 pm

So door dash… your clearly an easy mark and I make your head explode. That wasn’t my intent it was to share that Val and Dayton have had talks. Dayton is a real option for the conference. Try hard to not to respond…I bet ya can’t!!!!
Cheech

Postby MUBoxer » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:42 pm

Given the way this guy talks I'm 80% sure he's the same guy who posted that absurdly wrong wrong on MUScoop that I posted lol
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:51 pm

It's really Gonzaga or just wait for the next major round of realignment. The ACC or Big 12 getting raided could leave us some decent options potentially willing to follow UConn's lead to save hoops. Schools with good local followings are nice, but there's no real value in adding someone who doesn't move the needle on a national scale. That's why we added UConn.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby hoops22 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:34 pm

I disagree strongly that the ACC or BIG 12 getting raided would be good for the BE. If those conferences get raided, we will become the hunted, not the hunter. The UCONN analogy is not a good one. Their goal then, as it is now, is to wind up in a P5 football conference. When they made the jump here their football was bottom of the barrel, and their basketball was leaking oil badly. They correctly surmised, that coming back to the BE was necessary to stabilize and revitalize basketball, and that football would be helped by playing more local cupcakes and becoming bowl eligible. People view this past football season as a success, but they would have been pounded, and remained a laughingstock, had they played the standard AAC schedule again. With basketball, they're getting northeast visibility again, and are getting plenty of national TV dates on Fox, including this upcoming weekend against St. John's. This recent success likely would not have happened had they remained in the AAC. The best place for them to bide their time, waiting for a P5 invite is here in the BE. They don't view the BE as their endgame, and never will.

As far as Dayton having contact with Val Ackerman, they probably have, as have a dozen other teams in all likelihood. By the same token, we have teams (plural) contacting other conferences as well. It doesn't mean anything will happen with anyone, but nobody wants to get caught with their pants down, if and when conference realignment heats up again in a meaningful way. Everyone wants to have plans A, B, and C in place. Even if they're raided, the ACC and BIG 12 won't be giving up football. Conferences like the Ivy League, The Patriot League, the CAA etc.. still play football even though they know they can't compete with the SEC and B1G. Football might be downgraded a bit in the ACC, but that only makes it more possible that the UCONN's, Villanova's and Georgetown's, might be able to compete a bit better. Those conferences will not give up the name of a recognized football brand, just as we didn't when we paid dearly (and wisely) to maintain Big East name, after the last round of realignment.

I don't know that anyone would want to leave for a BIG 12 that once raided of schools like Kansas, might leave them playing a diet of Iowa St. Texas Tech and Kansas St. Even thought those schools may have fine basketball, there's simply no history there. But an ACC that still has BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Virginia Tech, Miami, Louisville etc..., might have appeal to some of our members, especially if there's a big bump in guaranteed pay. The best thing for us is if the ACC GOR holds until 2036, and realignment is kept to a minimum until then. That way the Syracuse's, BC's and Pitt's can continue to wither on the vine, to the benefit of the Villanova's, Providences, Hall's and now UCONN (and hopefully one day St. John's) who have all benefited from those other teams declines, as outliers in a southern based league.
hoops22

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:15 am

If the ACC and Big 12 get raided, it will be the final step of condensing from P5 to P2. The Pac12 already can't get a competitive media rights deal. Once their money brands are gone, the Big 12 and ACC won't be able to either. Sure, they'll still play football, but the football money that "drives the bus" will be drying up fast. Those conferences will no longer have any allure to UConn or any other Big East members.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board