Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby kayako » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:15 am

Xudash wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:
BEwannabe wrote:why UD?

Have you looked at the crowd at Gtown tonight?

there is nobody there...embarrassing might as well be broadcasting from Amherst although I think they had maybe 2500 tonight

Dayton fans like this are why nobody wants to be affiliated with you

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic ... #msg422884

Holy crap. What a delusional take in that thread.

When the C7 decided to break away and the very quiet phone call from Georgetown’s president was made to President Graham at Xavier about X’s interest in joining the BE, a special BoT meeting was called to decide on it. It was one of the shortest meetings they’ve ever held. It was a slam dunk. The university was giddy over the move, and we’ve all since experienced the reasons why.

Dayton fans have no idea of the BE’s strength. UD’s program doesn’t have the juice to take control of a weak, watered down A10. UD would get slaughtered in this conference.

Expansion for the BE, if and when it comes, should involve programs that can deliver brand value and competition.

That was a blast to read through. A horrible take even knowing it was made in 2012. Tons of bad takes from Marquette fans, too.
supernova
kayako

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby adoraz » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:36 am

Far more important than attendance is TV ratings. Does anyone have Dayton basketball TV ratings in comparison with other A10 teams? Maybe vs some Power teams, too?

Another way to look at it is how many ESPN/ESPN 2/ABC games does Dayton get each year in comparison with other A10 teams.

I have a feeling their ratings would be bottom half of the Big East (I'm sure the Big East evaluated this back in 2012), and therefore they wouldn't add value. They could eventually get in if Big East teams leave, however.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Cheech » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:05 am

The anti Dayton takes is really unfair guys.. especially from the X haters.. Dayton is a perfect fit…so for those of you that don’t know X financially is a bottom feeder. The next moves will be about MONEY and inventory. Here are facts. Endowment..for the X fans that’s the measure of the financial stability of a University. Donars .money for research ..etc. X Endowment is 200 mill… that the worst in the BIg East. Dayton is 780 mil!!!! 4X Xavier. US news and world report rank Dayton 127 and X way back at 167. Dayton home attendance beats X…they can only afford that small building . Dayton fans travel better and offer far more NIL support than X even in though we are in the A10. When Dayton is invited our NIL contribution will make Dayton a formidable team very quickly. X only has basketball, has missed the NCAA4 straight years and hired a cheater to coach them.
Cheech

Postby MUBoxer » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:40 am

Cheech wrote:The anti Dayton takes is really unfair guys.. especially from the X haters.. Dayton is a perfect fit…so for those of you that don’t know X financially is a bottom feeder. The next moves will be about MONEY and inventory. Here are facts. Endowment..for the X fans that’s the measure of the financial stability of a University. Donars .money for research ..etc. X Endowment is 200 mill… that the worst in the BIg East. Dayton is 780 mil!!!! 4X Xavier. US news and world report rank Dayton 127 and X way back at 167. Dayton home attendance beats X…they can only afford that small building . Dayton fans travel better and offer far more NIL support than X even in though we are in the A10. When Dayton is invited our NIL contribution will make Dayton a formidable team very quickly. X only has basketball, has missed the NCAA4 straight years and hired a cheater to coach them.

7 tournament appearances in my life (I'm not exactly a spring chicken anymore). Everything else is just noise. The basketball tradition isn't there. Miller had you guys primed for success but left and you fell back to earth.
Last edited by MUBoxer on Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby stever20 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:49 am

MUBoxer wrote:
Cheech wrote:The anti Dayton takes is really unfair guys.. especially from the X haters.. Dayton is a perfect fit…so for those of you that don’t know X financially is a bottom feeder. The next moves will be about MONEY and inventory. Here are facts. Endowment..for the X fans that’s the measure of the financial stability of a University. Donars .money for research ..etc. X Endowment is 200 mill… that the worst in the BIg East. Dayton is 780 mil!!!! 4X Xavier. US news and world report rank Dayton 127 and X way back at 167. Dayton home attendance beats X…they can only afford that small building . Dayton fans travel better and offer far more NIL support than X even in though we are in the A10. When Dayton is invited our NIL contribution will make Dayton a formidable team very quickly. X only has basketball, has missed the NCAA4 straight years and hired a cheater to coach them.

7 tournament appearances in my life. Everything else is just noise. The basketball tradition isn't there. Miller had you guys primed for success but left and you fell back to earth.

It's not even close between X and Dayton. Using 1985 as a fair cut off
D 7-10 since tourney expanded to 64 in 1985
X 29-26 since tourney expanded to 64 in 1985

X has more tourney appearances than Dayton does games in that timeframe.
stever20

Postby MUBoxer » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:04 am

stever20 wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:

7 tournament appearances in my life. Everything else is just noise. The basketball tradition isn't there. Miller had you guys primed for success but left and you fell back to earth.

It's not even close between X and Dayton. Using 1985 as a fair cut off
D 7-10 since tourney expanded to 64 in 1985
X 29-26 since tourney expanded to 64 in 1985

X has more tourney appearances than Dayton does games in that timeframe.

This. Also can we imagine trying to use World rankings as an argument for inclusion to an athletics conference (and throwing shade at X for their 167 ranking). It's a 40 spot difference by that logic Georgetown should slum it with anyone in the big east as I think number 2 is nova in the 50s.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby kayako » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:02 am

Cheech is a known troll who's made multiple Dayton to the BE guarantees. The other guy isn't a troll AFAIK.
supernova
kayako

Postby Cheech » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:23 am

Cheech is simply saying Dayton is a perfect fit and will be added…X has missed the last 4 tourneys Dayton had the Player of the year and would have been a Number one seed with Grants group not Archie’s , who was terrific. So another fact WSJ most profitable CBB programs…Dayton 21 in the country X 28 and X gets 10x more TV revenue. I am not a troll I again Love the BIG East and Dayton is and will be a great fit. You guys all hear for the X fans….when you come to a game I think you will have a positive experience and come away impressed. I travel and have been in many of your arenas. The Dayton experience is similar to Marquette and Creighton, when I have been there the fans were great and the experience terrific. Went to a Providence game about the same. X is also a Good environment but does not match up to Creighton /Marquette/Providence. Again Dayton would be very competitive right away with Nil and financially be a top tier Big East school that will be able to add and update facilities and attract really good players. YOU will be very impressed how we travel.
Cheech

Postby MUBoxer » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:53 am

Alternative point. DePaul, St John's and Georgetown are all very much irrelevant and have been for years (ok odd blip every few for SJU). They all have higher enrollment, higher endowments (2/3 SJU is slightly lower), higher athletic budget due to length of time being in the BE, better basketball histories, two play in professional arenas, are in objectively wayyyy better cities than a failing rust belt small city, and yet none of those three can gain a foot in to be competitive.

So what makes any Dayton fan oh so certain that the second place team in an extremely weak A10, (that admittedly caught lightning in a bottle 1 year with a player who's long gone) would be competitive right away?

Edit: just checked UDpride, you guys have an NIT bracketology thread... does that scream high major expectations? I mean a third of what I'm saying is just trolling you but come on that's not what big boys do in CBB.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby Cheech » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:10 am

Good question and a simple answer. The landscape has changed in the past 12 months. Dayton donors have made a deep dive into Nil to ensure we are competitive and protect our future. Example… we have a center Daron Holmes who after his freshman year was approached by Proxy to transfer to P5 schools with offer of a larger NIl. he stayed at Dayton and has a very good deal. Dayton is very dedicated to CBB . I believe if DePaul…St Johns or GT got the right coach things would change on a dime. We have in Grant a coach kids want to play for. I think you will see how we attack the portal this spring and what the NIL collaborative can provide that even in mediocre confernce the level of player we bring in. You will find Grant to be very similar to Ed Cooley in how he treats his kids and how hard they play for him.
Cheech

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board