Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby aughnanure » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:18 pm

butlerguy03 wrote:
shizzle898 wrote:and only 1.5 of the others would be dead weight (DePaul and Butler)

This is the type of comment that makes me wonder why I ever come on this forum. A couple of down years and suddenly you're dead weight, yet Georgetown and St. John's are all good but haven't accomplished anything in a generation.

Agree with this 100%. Too many "what have you done for me lately" comments. Too much insecurity here that if a team falls off the pace they cant get it back that we forget all of our programs being in it together helps us come back quicker. The Big East makes programs stronger. This year is a great example of that. Finally Villanova fell off and what's the response? 5 teams in the Top 25.

College basketball doesn't stay stagnant. Every program doesn't have to be great/good every year to bring value. Hell, the only dead weight really is DePaul and across the P6 landscape they're in the upper tier of worst programs accd to the numbers.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes to make it possible”
aughnanure

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:16 pm

Butler is a great program, has a great coach, and has made a Sweet 16 and has won more NCAA games in the last half-dozen years than most of us, including PC and definitely the team that Shizzle claims is his.

And in this season, a down year for the Dawgs, they kicked the sh-t out of media-darlings #8 K-State.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Jasper67 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:45 pm

stever20 wrote:
Jasper67 wrote:
shizzle898 wrote:If there is a Big East team the Big 12 adds it is probably Creighton. On the CBS Eye on College basketball podcast, Matt Norlander suggested that the Big 12 presidents have to be sold on adding a basketball school and if they added Gonzaga, would possibly add one more school west of the Mississippi (my bet is Creighton or St. Mary's). If that happened, the Big East should stay at 10. Six of the remaining members would be original members and only 1.5 of the others would be dead weight (DePaul and Butler). An 18-game round robin schedule would also increase the possibility of getting in 7 teams.

The networks want content. Getting smaller decreases content and isn’t the way to go. Not when there’s a new contract coming up to be negotiated. Add to that the fact that some programs bring little or no value to the contract. Interest in the Georgetown and St. John’s programs has dwindled to the point where home attendance averaged in the 5000-6000 range for both programs. DePaul was down around 3000.

Yup. And 18 game round robin schedule does not increase the possibility of getting 7 teams in. Only once in the 6 years that there was a NCAA tourney did the league get 7 in. And that year Providence was the 4th last team in playing in Dayton.

Steven, why would the schedule be limited to 18 games? Even with 2 divisions, there are still plenty of ways to keep a 20 game schedule. Heck, we had to get really creative when the league was up to 16 members.

As a fan, I know we’d all like to get as many teams in the tournament as possible, but from a revenue POV, having more teams = more content - more desirable to the networks = more money for league members.
Jasper67

Postby stever20 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:38 pm

Jasper67 wrote:
Steven, why would the schedule be limited to 18 games? Even with 2 divisions, there are still plenty of ways to keep a 20 game schedule. Heck, we had to get really creative when the league was up to 16 members.

As a fan, I know we’d all like to get as many teams in the tournament as possible, but from a revenue POV, having more teams = more content - more desirable to the networks = more money for league members.

I was more replying to shizzle saying that if we lose a team we should just stay at 10 and go 18 games to increase the possibility of getting 7 teams in.

If league loses a team, I bet league goes to 12 and stays at 20 games.
stever20

Postby Jasper67 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:14 pm

stever20 wrote:
Jasper67 wrote:

I was more replying to shizzle saying that if we lose a team we should just stay at 10 and go 18 games to increase the possibility of getting 7 teams in.

If league loses a team, I bet league goes to 12 and stays at 20 games.

Got it. Thanks. I misunderstood.
Jasper67

Postby kayako » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:09 pm

aughnanure wrote:
butlerguy03 wrote:
shizzle898 wrote:and only 1.5 of the others would be dead weight (DePaul and Butler)

This is the type of comment that makes me wonder why I ever come on this forum. A couple of down years and suddenly you're dead weight, yet Georgetown and St. John's are all good but haven't accomplished anything in a generation.

Agree with this 100%. Too many "what have you done for me lately" comments. Too much insecurity here that if a team falls off the pace they cant get it back that we forget all of our programs being in it together helps us come back quicker. The Big East makes programs stronger. This year is a great example of that. Finally Villanova fell off and what's the response? 5 teams in the Top 25.

College basketball doesn't stay stagnant. Every program doesn't have to be great/good every year to bring value. Hell, the only dead weight really is DePaul and across the P6 landscape they're in the upper tier of worst programs accd to the numbers.

Hinkle is a great asset for the conference and Butler shouldn't worry about being a dead weight. They're not, and every conference has multiple "dead weights" anyway. But TBF, it sounded like there were questions in their own backyard whether they could compete in the Big East last year. Even their school president felt compelled to address this when Matta was introduced. I think that thought stems from their basketball budget being the smallest in the conference, reportedly. Georgetown has a top 20 budget that'll probably go up when they get back to being respectable.
supernova
kayako

Postby butlerguy03 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:45 am

kayako wrote:Hinkle is a great asset for the conference and Butler shouldn't worry about being a dead weight. They're not, and every conference has multiple "dead weights" anyway. But TBF, it sounded like there were questions in their own backyard whether they could compete in the Big East last year. Even their school president felt compelled to address this when Matta was introduced. I think that thought stems from their basketball budget being the smallest in the conference, reportedly. Georgetown has a top 20 budget that'll probably go up when they get back to being respectable.

Understood about the comments from last year (and this year). Those are mostly from local IU-centric media. They can't grasp that there are 4 major programs in Indiana. Most notably, Dan Dakich, who, I'm sure, most of you can agree is a meat-head and already lost his local radio job this year.
Butler University '03
butlerguy03

Postby billyjack » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:09 am

butlerguy03 wrote:
kayako wrote:Hinkle is a great asset for the conference and Butler shouldn't worry about being a dead weight. They're not, and every conference has multiple "dead weights" anyway. But TBF, it sounded like there were questions in their own backyard whether they could compete in the Big East last year. Even their school president felt compelled to address this when Matta was introduced. I think that thought stems from their basketball budget being the smallest in the conference, reportedly. Georgetown has a top 20 budget that'll probably go up when they get back to being respectable.

Understood about the comments from last year (and this year). Those are mostly from local IU-centric media. They can't grasp that there are 4 major programs in Indiana. Most notably, Dan Dakich, who, I'm sure, most of you can agree is a meat-head and already lost his local radio job this year.

Dakich is a douche. His hoops props were being the 35th guy off the bench for the shittiest Hoosiers team in 30 years. Or something like that.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:11 am

billyjack wrote:
butlerguy03 wrote:

Dakich is a douche. His hoops props were being the 35th guy off the bench for the shittiest Hoosiers team in 30 years. Or something like that.

Is it bad that when I hear Donny Marshall, I feel like I'm hearing Dakich? They sound quite a bit alike.
stever20

Postby admin » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:03 pm

WOW.

Oklahoma and Texas have agreed in principle to pay the Big 12 conference a total of $100 million to join the SEC in 2024, a year earlier than they had originally intended, the Big 12 conference announced on Thursday evening.

Also:

A portion of the more than $100 million in exit fees will go to Fox to compensate for the equivalent of seven lost Texas and Oklahoma games.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... -24-season
admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board