Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby MUBoxer » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:47 pm

ArmyVet wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:
ArmyVet wrote:Looks like a one-bid league and their recent addition of Loyola-Chicago has been a disaster since Moser left.

So this one unfinished year? Yeah crazy terrible, almost as horrible as us having butler looks since Matta came...

Maybe we chill on Loyola hate, I'd still personally take them over DePaul right now and the city actually knows they play basketball, not sure that's true with DePaul.

I actually kind of like Loyola and wish they were better, but they are dead last in a one-bid A10. That's kind of difficult to process considering their recent run of success.

100% agree, if there was ever a strike while the iron is hot opportunity that was it and they seemingly threw it away. Still I'll give the coach another year before I think they'll fall back to irrelevancy. Tough being good then bad in a city of major fair-weather sports fans.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Xudash » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:52 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
ArmyVet wrote:Looks like a one-bid league and their recent addition of Loyola-Chicago has been a disaster since Moser left.

So this one unfinished year? Yeah crazy terrible, almost as horrible as us having butler looks since Matta came...

Maybe we chill on Loyola hate, I'd still personally take them over DePaul right now and the city actually knows they play basketball, not sure that's true with DePaul.

Xudash wrote:While we are on the topic of Dayton, the idea for VD was always to take absolute control of the Atlantic 10 to better position it for the possibility of an invite from this conference, which I don’t believe will or would ever happen anyway, but whatever.

This was especially important for VD to do given how watered down the A-10 has become, and it has become a train wreck. On that note, Dayton’s program continues to be a bumbling hot mess. It can’t even gain control of a wretched A10.

BTW, UDump Arena was built in 1969. Not well designed and it is home to sewage flooding and very delusional fans. VD’s facilities are nothing to BE fans who enjoy their own fine facilities.

I hate Dayton fans as much as anybody but let's be honest, they did have a solid ride since the A10 was gutted. Is it to the Gonzaga level dominance they expected? Nope far from but in the 9 completed seasons they had 5 bids (giving them 2020 for obvious reasons) with a solid run. For context that's better than the prior 23yrs of the "great program" that is Dayton basketball, and that my friend is a better dig than saying their recent success is something to thumb their nose at.

That is a better dig. Kudos.

But here is my very specific point: they have to be doing very well and dominating now in what is a terrible conference, but they are failing miserably.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Angry Dan » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:23 pm

This rumor about the Big XIi poaching UCONN and Nova is about three months old.

https://hookemheadlines.com/2022/11/04/ ... h-gonzaga/

I assume Hook ‘Em Headlines is out of Austin. This story includes the Zags as a candidate and CBS Sports last week, in an article previously posted in this thread, mentioned that the Big XIi honchos were getting together last week to talk about the Zags. If they were considering Nova and UCONN, I think we would have heard from more than one obscure tweeter
Angry Dan

Postby adoraz » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:04 pm

Angry Dan wrote:This rumor about the Big XIi poaching UCONN and Nova is about three months old.

I assume Hook ‘Em Headlines is out of Austin. This story includes the Zags as a candidate and CBS Sports last week, in an article previously posted in this thread, mentioned that the Big XIi honchos were getting together last week to talk about the Zags. If they were considering Nova and UCONN, I think we would have heard from more than one obscure tweeter

We heard UConn to the Big East rumors for a year or so before it actually happened, and these moves always tend to be announced during the off-season. The latest rumor also includes St. John's and MSG, so it's similar but also more in-depth. I'm not saying the guy is right, but I don't think that article makes it less likely. He implied in his Twitter thread that it was something new he heard.

If I were to bet, I think at least some Big East schools have had discussion with other leagues, but talk is just talk. Doesn't mean anything will happen if there is a hold-up by one side. We know for a fact Gonzaga has spoken with 3 leagues for instance but nothing has materialized yet.

Overall probably happens way more often than most fans realize, but we never hear about the majority of discussions.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Angry Dan » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:07 am

adoraz wrote:
Angry Dan wrote:This rumor about the Big XIi poaching UCONN and Nova is about three months old.

We heard UConn to the Big East rumors for a year or so before it actually happened, and these moves always tend to be announced during the off-season. The latest rumor also includes St. John's and MSG, so it's similar but also more in-depth. I'm not saying the guy is right, but I don't think that article makes it less likely. He implied in his Twitter thread that it was something new he heard.

If I were to bet, I think at least some Big East schools have had discussion with other leagues, but talk is just talk. Doesn't mean anything will happen if there is a hold-up by one side. We know for a fact Gonzaga has spoken with 3 leagues for instance but nothing has materialized yet.

Overall probably happens way more often than most fans realize, but we never hear about the majority of discussions.

UCONN would be nuts to pass up football money. The question is how much can they pay a non football school
Angry Dan

Postby adoraz » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:41 am

Angry Dan wrote:
adoraz wrote:

UCONN would be nuts to pass up football money. The question is how much can they pay a non football school

I think he implied that UConn may be added as a basketball member rather than a full member (such as ND in the ACC being independent in football). I'd assume they'd have some football perks, but wouldn't get a full payout.

I do think it'd be really stupid for any Big East member to join a conference as the lone basketball member, but if there's a group of several schools in close proximity (Nova, UConn, St. John's) then it may make some sense. That's especially true for instance if one of the schools accepts (UConn due to football upside) and the other two then kind of get forced into it rather than return to a depleted Big East. I still think it'd be shortsighted, though, unless the money were twice as much (it wouldn't be.. probably more like a 35% raise over our next TV contract). Would a few million dollars annually really be worth blowing up the Big East and joining an unstable conference made up of football schools in middle America?
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Jasper67 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:23 am

It’s all about the money . . .

which is too bad because the kids get used as employees to raise funds for the college.
Jasper67

Postby Savannah Jay » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:42 am

adoraz wrote:I think he implied that UConn may be added as a basketball member rather than a full member (such as ND in the ACC being independent in football). I'd assume they'd have some football perks, but wouldn't get a full payout.

I do think it'd be really stupid for any Big East member to join a conference as the lone basketball member, but if there's a group of several schools in close proximity (Nova, UConn, St. John's) then it may make some sense. That's especially true for instance if one of the schools accepts (UConn due to football upside) and the other two then kind of get forced into it rather than return to a depleted Big East. I still think it'd be shortsighted, though, unless the money were twice as much (it wouldn't be.. probably more like a 35% raise over our next TV contract). Would a few million dollars annually really be worth blowing up the Big East and joining an unstable conference made up of football schools in middle America?

This article suggests that the Big 10 and SEC per school payouts will be about double that of other conferences once their new TV deals fully kick in. Big 12 isn't competing with those after losing Texas and OU; ditto PAC12 after losing UCLA and USC. The only way the rest of the football conferences compete with those dollars is to cherry pick the most valuable football "assets" in the ACC, Big 12, and PAC12 and forming a new conference. Adding schools like UCONN, Nova, St Johns would elevate their basketball presence...but that's not their shortfall. It'd do nothing for their football and football is where the money lives. TCU making the football championship game was nice...but the outcome of the game could be a metaphor for the difference in the football status of the two conferences. And that's not getting better by adding two schools that don't have FBS football and one that barely does (sorry, Husky friends). Same could be said for Gonzaga...great for basketball. But that's not going to narrow the payout gap between the Big 12 and SEC/Big 10. IMO, any of those moves would be pure "our conference is dying, football-wise, so we are going to pretend that adding these great basketball schools offsets losing Texas and OU."

https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/navigate-big-ten-sec-payouts-power-five.html
Savannah Jay

Postby shizzle898 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:59 pm

If there is a Big East team the Big 12 adds it is probably Creighton. On the CBS Eye on College basketball podcast, Matt Norlander suggested that the Big 12 presidents have to be sold on adding a basketball school and if they added Gonzaga, would possibly add one more school west of the Mississippi (my bet is Creighton or St. Mary's). If that happened, the Big East should stay at 10. Six of the remaining members would be original members and only 1.5 of the others would be dead weight (DePaul and Butler). An 18-game round robin schedule would also increase the possibility of getting in 7 teams.
shizzle898

Postby adoraz » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:22 pm

We know that the Big 12 is trying to create a nationwide conference, so getting 3 NE schools along with MSG hosting their tournament I think would be more plausible than another school in the middle of B12 territory.

I'm not saying it'd be a good idea for Big East schools, and I agree football is driving all decisions, but maybe they view this as a way of solidifying basketball.
Johnnies
adoraz

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board