Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:25 pm

Cheech wrote:Thanks your about to find out how adorable!!!

And what’s even cuter is that someone (you?) goes on the UD Flyer board and reports “per Holylanofhoops, the Big 12 is going after UConn St John’s and nova.”

So a Dayton fan posts here that the Big 12 wants to add Big East schools and then goes to the Dayton board and says look at HLOH.

God I hope we never have to deal with the idiots in this league.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:16 pm

Omaha1 wrote:
Cheech wrote:Thanks your about to find out how adorable!!!

And what’s even cuter is that someone (you?) goes on the UD Flyer board and reports “per Holylanofhoops, the Big 12 is going after UConn St John’s and nova.”

So a Dayton fan posts here that the Big 12 wants to add Big East schools and then goes to the Dayton board and says look at HLOH.

God I hope we never have to deal with the idiots in this league.

Great catch Omaha.

So this Cheech clown interrupted my court dedication quiz, lol.

Also, hilarious that a skeptical Dayton fan over at Udpride referred to "Cheech" as "Chong", haha...

Chong--- i mean Cheech, may end up pulling Dayton below the Mendoza Line at 1.99... or, of course, the ERA of Gary Nolan in 1972.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Xudash » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:24 pm

The Big 12 is looking to remain at some level of relevance vis-à-vis the SEC and the B1G. It will no longer really be about the P5. It is becoming the BIG TWO and everyone else, albeit with a football playoff format that will still provide openings to schools that are not from those two major conferences.

None of the other conferences can possibly hope to compete against those two Goliath’s on the money front, though they’ll probably still be able to maintain some level of competitiveness (i.e. a pool of talent that exceeds what NIL money can lock-up/capture for the very top programs from those two conferences).

The Big 12 is trying to take actions that will shore it up in any way possible. Part of that is about trying to destroy the Pac 12. This part of it appears to be about making sure it’s basketball side remains strong.

Otherwise, the ACC shackled itself into a GOR rights agreement that will keep it frustrated for over a decade, unless some of its members find a way to implode it sooner.

As for us, isn’t it about what Val and company are quietly (hopefully) talking with or getting guidance from Fox about? I cannot believe that, at the margin, a Big 12 payout for basketball would be that much better than what the BE will be looking at in the near future.

Finally, as for you Cheech, you are a perfect ambassador for Dayton.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby billyjack » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:25 pm

Also, another intangible as my head tries to find any real logic to this... St John's just got the good Father Brian Shanley from PC.

Shanley is loyal to the Big East cuz he's been around PC since his days as a student in the late 70's. The idea that he'd be a catalyst in another round of attempting to dismantle the Big East makes no sense. There's a better chance of me becoming an ACC fan.
Providence
billyjack

Postby adoraz » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:26 pm

Lol if Cheech posted that before the Twitter user did then there may be something there, but based on his previous "insider" posts he's batting .000. All he did was copy/paste a Twitter rumor.

I think if a large enough block (3+ BE teams) are offered then it's possible they'll leave, but I have a hard time seeing the money being worthwhile. They'd be giving up future bargaining power, regional alliances, possibly MSG every year, etc. Outside of a Big Ten / SEC invite (obviously not happening), or a UConn invite for football, it makes the most sense for the Big East to stick together.

Keep in mind, just a few months ago there were rumors of Kansas joining the Big East after Texas and Oklahoma were poached. There's nothing stable about that league.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby MUBoxer » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:37 pm

Cheech wrote:Boys, I only post when I have something. This is not conjecture there are talks going on. The BIG 12 will get the ACCs attention and will put Nova and UConn in a strong negotiation position. I think you would all agree that the fans of Nova and UCONN though a long history with the BIg East would love to have Duke…NC…Cuse…Notre Dame stop by not to mention the huge check form either the ACC ..or the BIG 12. Tradition is the off the table and the BIG East will be effected . UCONN is gone for sure.

Cheech wrote: So you (Xavier) have had very very good basketball success and because of it were invited in. But your time is done....it’s our time.

Cheech wrote:Steele is a miss and X will continue its fall. Times change and they are about to change again.

Cheech wrote:So i don’t post a lot..when I do it’s accurate. The Big East will announce after season the plan for expansion… you can count on it. I told you back in the summer….

Cheech wrote:So the case for Dayton.., great tradition, building and running the program long term the right way. The old Depaul /Dayton games were also great and we more so than any other school would fill there empty building.....you are about to see Dayton have it’s best next 3 years in History .

This guys always accurate and always honest, trust him. Btw does Dayton still have basketball? I feel like Obi Toppin came and went then haven't heard anything since.

Look maybe he's right maybe he's throwing more crap at the wall for the 4th year figuring he'll be right eventually either way some comical hot takes in his post history, mostly that every time he comes out of the wood work we have to trust him because he's "always right"
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby Xudash » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:43 pm

While we are on the topic of Dayton, the idea for VD was always to take absolute control of the Atlantic 10 to better position it for the possibility of an invite from this conference, which I don’t believe will or would ever happen anyway, but whatever.

This was especially important for VD to do given how watered down the A-10 has become, and it has become a train wreck. On that note, Dayton’s program continues to be a bumbling hot mess. It can’t even gain control of a wretched A10.

BTW, UDump Arena was built in 1969. Not well designed and it is home to sewage flooding and very delusional fans. VD’s facilities are nothing to BE fans who enjoy their own fine facilities.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby ArmyVet » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:56 pm

Xudash wrote:While we are on the topic of Dayton, the idea for VD was always to take absolute control of the Atlantic 10 to better position it for the possibility of an invite from this conference, which I don’t believe will or would ever happen anyway, but whatever.

This was especially important for VD to do given how watered down the A-10 has become, and it has become a train wreck. On that note, Dayton’s program continues to be a bumbling hot mess. It can’t even gain control of a wretched A10.

BTW, UDump Arena was built in 1969. Not well designed and it is home to sewage flooding and very delusional fans. VD’s facilities are nothing to BE fans who enjoy their own fine facilities.

A10 is a mess. Looks like a one-bid league and their recent addition of Loyola-Chicago has been a disaster since Moser left.
ArmyVet

Postby MUBoxer » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:06 pm

ArmyVet wrote:Looks like a one-bid league and their recent addition of Loyola-Chicago has been a disaster since Moser left.

So this one unfinished year? Yeah crazy terrible, almost as horrible as us having butler looks since Matta came...

Maybe we chill on Loyola hate, I'd still personally take them over DePaul right now and the city actually knows they play basketball, not sure that's true with DePaul.

Xudash wrote:While we are on the topic of Dayton, the idea for VD was always to take absolute control of the Atlantic 10 to better position it for the possibility of an invite from this conference, which I don’t believe will or would ever happen anyway, but whatever.

I hate Dayton fans as much as anybody but let's be honest, they did have a solid ride since the A10 was gutted. Is it to the Gonzaga level dominance they expected? Nope far from but in the 9 completed seasons they had 5 bids (giving them 2020 for obvious reasons) with a solid run. For context that's better than the prior 23yrs of the "great program" that is Dayton basketball, and that my friend is a better dig than saying their recent success is something to thumb their nose at.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby ArmyVet » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:13 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
ArmyVet wrote:Looks like a one-bid league and their recent addition of Loyola-Chicago has been a disaster since Moser left.

So this one unfinished year? Yeah crazy terrible, almost as horrible as us having butler looks since Matta came...

Maybe we chill on Loyola hate, I'd still personally take them over DePaul right now and the city actually knows they play basketball, not sure that's true with DePaul.

I actually kind of like Loyola and wish they were better, but they are dead last in a one-bid A10. That's kind of difficult to process considering their recent run of success.
ArmyVet

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board