Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby billyjack » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:47 am

Hall2012 wrote:Hoping you're full of shit because reality is that would be the death of this conference.

If any of us 11 were so shortsighted to join whatever is being cobbled together in the Big 12, then they can leave... to join a conference based 2000 miles away, and with histories of former conference-mates with programs that have cratered, it would be so asinine.

MSG would not work for a tourney with hypothetically 18 of its 20 teams located in Provo, Orlando, Tempe, Waco, etc.

By the way, i thinnk this is the 1000th post in this thread?
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:02 am

billyjack wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:Hoping you're full of shit because reality is that would be the death of this conference.

If any of us 11 were so shortsighted to join whatever is being cobbled together in the Big 12, then they can leave... to join a conference based 2000 miles away, and with histories of former conference-mates with programs that have cratered, it would be so asinine.

MSG would not work for a tourney with hypothetically 18 of its 20 teams located in Provo, Orlando, Tempe, Waco, etc.

I just mean losing both UConn and Nova would be a massive blow - more specifically Nova. A basketball only school (assuming Nova isn't upgrading football in this scenario) getting a P5 bid will absolutely shake the stability of this conference.

As for replacements, I'd probably skip replacing UConn and I'd offer Nova's spot to St. Joe's (both to keep the Philly presence and give the defectors a slap on their way out).
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby billyjack » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:17 am

Hall2012 wrote:
billyjack wrote:

I just mean losing both UConn and Nova would be a massive blow - more specifically Nova. A basketball only school (assuming Nova isn't upgrading football in this scenario) getting a P5 bid will absolutely shake the stability of this conference.

As for replacements, I'd probably skip replacing UConn and I'd offer Nova's spot to St. Joe's (both to keep the Philly presence and give the defectors a slap on their way out).

I agree with you Hall. This would be a major hit. I was just commenting on the general situation if true.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:48 am

No freaking way does this happen. No way.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Django » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:03 am

FF + THC = CHEECH
Django

Postby billyjack » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:04 am

I tried to look back old tweets from this MHver3 guy, but he has tweeted so much since last June that my phone will take forever to go back that far.

The guy is a West Virginia fan though, abd for all i know he's that idiot "Dude" guy from way back referenced on that cbb site 10-12 years ago.
Providence
billyjack

Postby hoops22 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:06 pm

People can take this for what they want, but I am 100% certain it's true. Jay Wright himself had questions regarding if the BE was the best home for Villanova, were they to maintain their standing among college basketballs elite. This was as recent as two years ago. This was after the B1G and SEC were securing their insane media deals, which totally dwarfed anything the BE could hope to get. While those conferences seemed out, the feeling was the ACC might provide a more financially competitive home. I don't know if this was ever seriously discussed with the Board of Directors, or if feelers were ever put out to the ACC, but I know that was his thinking.

With the money differential between other conferences, and the insanity with the transfer portal, he likely wasn't going to stay put much longer at Nova. But the final nail in the coffin was NIL, and after a Final Four appearance, there never would be another time as ideal as that to step down. In fact it may have been his greatest coaching accomplishment ever, as last years team didn't rebound well, was slow, and didn't have the dead eye shooters many other Nova teams have had. It was an amazing coaching feat to get them to Final Four.

Back to the original point, I hope the league stays intact for many years to come. But money will be the deciding factor for everyone, especially since we really don't know how NIL will work out in the long term. For a team like Nova, with Penn St. three hours to the west, Rutgers one hour to the east, and Maryland two hours to the south, it could be hard to compete in an arms race with schools nearby, who are that deep pocketed. The I 95 corridor would have a lot of value to people. Georgetown in D.C is an excellent academic school with past basketball success, Nova in Philly has both basketball and academics, St John's has nothing but location going for them, and that may not be enough, although a league getting their flag planted in NYC should count for something, and UCONN has pull in New England. Like i said, i hope we stay together, but I don't rule anything out when it comes to conference realignment.
hoops22

Postby adoraz » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:14 pm

/\ 100% certain the rumor is true? Do you have a source?

Even though St. John's is one of the rumored teams, this doesn't sound like a good idea. The Big 12 could still be picked apart by other leagues and then we'd be stuck with teams from Oklahoma or whatever. I'd be surprised if this rumored configuration would last more than a decade.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby hoops22 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:38 pm

I may have accidentally written that in a confusing manner. The only thing I am 100% certain of, concerned Jay Wright's feeling about the BE possibly not being the best place for Nova, and the events that led to him stepping down. I'm not going to identify the source for that, people can believe it or not believe it, doesn't really matter to me. The rest I wrote about possible conference realignment was just my take on the different rumors going around. That was just my own personal opinion.
hoops22

Postby ArmyVet » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:58 pm

billyjack wrote:

Agree.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

-Einstein
ArmyVet

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board