Most masochistic fan base in sports?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby hoops22 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:08 pm

Hands down it's St John's, and it's not close. It's not enough for us to simply stink, and have no hope year after year like the Depaul's and Georgetown's of the world. For us, we have to come into each season with high expectations, have our hopes smothered early each season, then somehow come back from the dead and believe we'll be okay after all, to being squashed like an ant once again. It's our lot in life, and shows what a twisted sense of humor God has, that he enjoys tormenting us so much each season. Here we come into the game tonight after a dominating performance at No. 6 UCONN, playing before a sellout MSG crowd, with everyone pumped for the game, and Nova trying their best to hand it to us on a silver platter, and we still lose by eight. If i'm ever foolish enough to believe in this team again, someone please do me a favor, get a gun and put me out of my misery.
hoops22

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Most masochistic fan base in sports?

Postby Demon22 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:22 pm

Try going a couple of decades without a winning season and then get back to me about how masochistic you are.
Demon22

Postby mel ott » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:19 am

Both very valid and funny (to some) posts. Sorry for your loss.
mel ott

Postby XUFan09 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:21 am

This description of St. John's reminds me of Dayton, and you even have in common that your best years were decades ago.

Demon22 is right, though, that it's gotta be better than DePaul fans' plight.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:19 am

hoops22 wrote:Hands down it's St John's, and it's not close. It's not enough for us to simply stink, and have no hope year after year like the Depaul's and Georgetown's of the world. For us, we have to come into each season with high expectations, have our hopes smothered early each season, then somehow come back from the dead and believe we'll be okay after all, to being squashed like an ant once again. It's our lot in life, and shows what a twisted sense of humor God has, that he enjoys tormenting us so much each season. Here we come into the game tonight after a dominating performance at No. 6 UCONN, playing before a sellout MSG crowd, with everyone pumped for the game, and Nova trying their best to hand it to us on a silver platter, and we still lose by eight. If i'm ever foolish enough to believe in this team again, someone please do me a favor, get a gun and put me out of my misery.

Nebraska and it's not even close. The cornholes have never won an NCAA game or a conference title in 80 years and still averaged 15,000 last year while winning 10 games.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby mel ott » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:13 am

Wizard of Westroads wrote:
hoops22 wrote:Hands down it's St John's, and it's not close. It's not enough for us to simply stink, and have no hope year after year like the Depaul's and Georgetown's of the world. For us, we have to come into each season with high expectations, have our hopes smothered early each season, then somehow come back from the dead and believe we'll be okay after all, to being squashed like an ant once again. It's our lot in life, and shows what a twisted sense of humor God has, that he enjoys tormenting us so much each season. Here we come into the game tonight after a dominating performance at No. 6 UCONN, playing before a sellout MSG crowd, with everyone pumped for the game, and Nova trying their best to hand it to us on a silver platter, and we still lose by eight. If i'm ever foolish enough to believe in this team again, someone please do me a favor, get a gun and put me out of my misery.

Nebraska and it's not even close. The cornholes have never won an NCAA game or a conference title in 80 years and still averaged 15,000 last year while winning 10 games.

+1
mel ott

Postby stever20 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:52 am

The Dallas Cowboys promptly enter the chat.
stever20

Postby adoraz » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:22 pm

Other fan bases definitely have it worse, even in our own conference (DePaul). That said, year after year St. John's has to be amongst the biggest underperformers relative to expectations for the past 2 decades. That creates a lot of crazy fans as it continuously raises expectations before crushing them (just see this past week). As someone who doesn't post to #sjubb, we have a lot of overly dramatic fans. That's from those calling for Anderson's head every 5 minutes to those still hyping up every game and acting as mouthpieces for our AD. Oh, and the dozens of troll/parody burner accounts. At least the anti-Anderson crowd is entertaining and self-aware enough to realize this isn't working, but it's still a crazy hashtag overall and I honestly don't think most other fan bases are nearly as bad.

Ultimately what it comes down to is whether we as fans would have preferred the past decade to be totally devoid of life (DePaul/Nebraska), or to make the Tournament every 4 few years and have some major regular season upsets. It's just sports and shouldn't be taken so seriously, so I'd much rather have some fun with the latter. (note- early season hype and a few major upsets (like UConn this past week) doesn't at all excuse Anderson's performance and he needs to be let go, as this will be 4 straight years without a Tournament appearance)
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby billyjack » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:41 pm

Another factor with St John's is that only 20 years ago, they were on like a 62-year postseason run. It's not like they were Fordham and just perennially sucked.
Providence
billyjack

Return to Big East basketball message board