NCAA Committee recommends expanding March Madness

The home for Big East hoops

Postby ArmyVet » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:04 pm

Apparently they want a 90 team NCAA tournament?

One potential outcome of these recommendations could be eventual expansion of men's and women's NCAA basketball tournaments. Though industry sources have told CBS Sports there is not a lot of momentum for that change in the near future, for the men's tournament that could mean expanding from 68 to approximately 90 teams based on its current membership of 363 teams.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... committee/
ArmyVet

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: NCAA Committee recommends expanding March Madness

Postby billyjack » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:51 pm

I think it should expand. It would be good for the Big East too. Now with 363 teams, expansion makes sense.
Providence
billyjack

Postby ArmyVet » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:00 pm

billyjack wrote:I think it should expand. It would be good for the Big East too. Now with 363 teams, expansion makes sense.

if the money is there, it will happen. NCAA is pretty self-serving that regard.

That said, I feel like the last few teams in the dance are already undeserving most of time so adding another 20-30 would make it even moreso.
ArmyVet

Postby DeltaV » Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:48 pm

No, just no. 64 (well, 68) teams is the perfect size. Some drama over who gets in and who doesn't at the bottom, but not enough strife that it really matters (like the 4 team CFB "playoff). Three weekends is enough as well... One weekend of crazy, one weekend of usually good games, and then the final four.

Expanding will just dilute the first and second rounds... People want to see a capable mid major knocking off a big name school, they don't want to see a team with a losing record get slaughtered. And another weekend will just make people bored with the whole thing.

Just no, don't mess with success.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby kayako » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:56 pm

DeltaV wrote:No, just no. 64 (well, 68) teams is the perfect size. Some drama over who gets in and who doesn't at the bottom, but not enough strife that it really matters (like the 4 team CFB "playoff). Three weekends is enough as well... One weekend of crazy, one weekend of usually good games, and then the final four.

Expanding will just dilute the first and second rounds... People want to see a capable mid major knocking off a big name school, they don't want to see a team with a losing record get slaughtered. And another weekend will just make people bored with the whole thing.

Just no, don't mess with success.

The bubble drama will still be there, but I agree that adding another round results in NCAAT fatigue. 68 is perfect, as I enjoy Tuesday and Wednesday teasers before the real madness. 72 will end up with daytime play-in games, which IMO should be reserved for Thursday main event. As for inclusivity, technically the vast majority of teams are still in it via conference tournaments. That's good enough for me.
supernova
kayako

Return to Big East basketball message board