(2) Wednesday Big East Games 12/28/22

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (2) Wednesday Big East Games 12/28/22

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:30 pm

Jasper67 wrote:I found that Fox’s split screen with coaches in boxes off to the side made the game unwatchable. Did anyone else have the same problem?

I thought it was really cool and also exposed a pretty stark contrast between Miller and Anderson...
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby hoops22 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:43 pm

Jasper67 wrote:I found that Fox’s split screen with coaches in boxes off to the side made the game unwatchable. Did anyone else have the same problem?

I thought the game was unwatchable too, but that was mainly due to St John's disorganized, chaotic brand of ball. It looked like an out of control pick up game for most of the night. I like Anderson and have rooted hard for him to succeed, but everyone knows where this is leading. Time to get Repole back in the fold. A donor with deep pockets in these days of NIL is probably even more valuable than a good coach. And speaking of coaches, time to get Pitino or even Chris Mack on speed dial. And finally the Posh/ Corbelo experiment is a complete flop. Time to go back to the drawing board.
hoops22

Postby anXUfan » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:43 am

I really found the all access interesting. I hope they do more of these. Bet it’s tough for the coaches, though.
anXUfan

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:08 pm

anXUfan wrote:I really found the all access interesting. I hope they do more of these. Bet it’s tough for the coaches, though.

I love it, once a year.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby ArmyVet » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:24 pm

anXUfan wrote:I really found the all access interesting. I hope they do more of these. Bet it’s tough for the coaches, though.

If I was a coach, I would be terribly reluctant to agree to this. My honest feeling was that Miller outcoached Anderson by a hundred miles based on what we heard on TV. Miller was engaged and interacted with his players during breaks whereas Anderson wasn't in some huddles and then just sort of yelled the same things over and over during game play.
ArmyVet

Postby XUFan09 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:39 pm

ArmyVet wrote:

If I was a coach, I would be terribly reluctant to agree to this. My honest feeling was that Miller outcoached Anderson by a hundred miles based on what we heard on TV. Miller was engaged and interacted with his players during breaks whereas Anderson wasn't in some huddles and then just sort of yelled the same things over and over during game play.

Anderson's part of it was rather boring. Would have been cool to have All Access on Saturday instead for Miller vs. Hurley lol.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby Jasper67 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:03 pm

ArmyVet wrote:

Yes, coaches should be engaged and interactive during huddles. I’ve seen different styles over the years. The funniest was Digger Phelps who would take 45 seconds of a 60 second time out to huddle with his assistants and then take 15 seconds to talk to his players. The most successful NBA coach ever, Red Auerbach, would sometimes ask his players for their thoughts. That’s in stark contrast to today’s coaches who script so much if what they want the players to do. Interestingly, half a dozen of his players went on to become coaches themselves.

My favorite coach was John Wooden. Never left the bench during game action. Never yelled at players or refs during games. Always spoke softly even during huddles. His philosophy was that you prepared your players for games during practice. If the coach did his job in preparation for the game, he didn’t need to say much during the games. He wanted his players to think for themselves and to be decision makers during the games.
Jasper67

Postby billyjack » Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:49 pm

I like the miked-up games.

I liked listening to Shaka at DePaul and Cooley, also at DePaul.

I remember at the first timeout, Shaka said "hey, when they yell 'blue' it just means they're playing man to man..."

Anderson last night kept the censors busy with some f-bombs.
Providence
billyjack

Postby REDMEN1415 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:49 pm

ArmyVet wrote:

The all access was good insight to see how embarrassing MA was/is on the sidelines. All you heard was Joel, Joel, Joel...Posh Posh Posh
Then during timeouts: X is tuned into Miller, giving them real instructions, Anderson just talking some f'ing bs on the sidelines and his players looked like they were ignoring him. That was a freaking disgrace.

I dont care what year the idiots at SJU's extended him through if he isn't gone after this year then i'm done with SJU.

Really tired of this BS, every coach we get is the same. Time for a real hire, Pitino.
REDMEN1415

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board