(3) Tuesday Big East Games 12/20/22

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (3) Tuesday Big East Games 12/20/22

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:23 pm

Flipped from where? Nobody's pretending Seton Hall was ever gonna be anywhere near a top half team this year.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jasper67 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:12 pm

Hall2012 wrote:Flipped from where? Nobody's pretending Seton Hall was ever gonna be anywhere near a top half team this year.

A few weeks ago, Seton Hall was ranked in the power ratings, which is NCAA bid territory. Providence was ranked in the 60s, which is NIT territory. Both teams needed to hit the Big East schedule hard to establish position and put themselves in a competitive position. Providence has done that and the Hall has not.

The flip is that PC is now ranked in the 40s and the Hall is the one ranked in the 60s.

The point that it’s too early to start scheduling any parades is certainly correct. After all, it’s only December.
Jasper67

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:11 pm

Jasper67 wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:Flipped from where? Nobody's pretending Seton Hall was ever gonna be anywhere near a top half team this year.

A few weeks ago, Seton Hall was ranked in the power ratings, which is NCAA bid territory. Providence was ranked in the 60s, which is NIT territory. Both teams needed to hit the Big East schedule hard to establish position and put themselves in a competitive position. Providence has done that and the Hall has not.

The flip is that PC is now ranked in the 40s and the Hall is the one ranked in the 60s.

The point that it’s too early to start scheduling any parades is certainly correct. After all, it’s only December.

... What power rankings had SHU ranked? With 3 blowout losses plus a q4, I can only imagine someone wasn't paying attention.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Westbrook#36 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:25 am

Jasper67 wrote:
Westbrook#36 wrote:Hoyas playin their annual outta mind game, against the best team in the BE. Who has a #1 seed in the dance firmly in their sight. Now the Huskies know what it feels like.

This is not the first time in their undefeated streak that the Huskies have been challenged. The fact that they were trailing in the middle of the 2nd half doesn’t really tell the story. One of the things that makes this team special is their depth. They had 8 players in double figures for minutes played last night. Georgetown had 6. They simply wear other teams down. It’s not surprising that they took control of the game in the 4th quarter and won going away by 11.

Not the point I was making. The gist of the off hand comment was about Georgetown's recent propensity to look and play like crap ooc and the vast majority of conference play. Only to rise up and play out of their mind against very good top of the table BE teams, who are looking like #1 seeds in March. As a Nova fan, I've seen this multiple times, I believe so too has Xavier and Creighton.

Now a rebuttal to your comment. I've seen quite a few of UConn games this season. They have not been pushed as long and as hard as that poor Hoyas team did the other night, by much better teams. Kudos to UConn, a very good team, maybe the best in the country right now. But if you think you're coasting through the BE to a 19-1 or 18-2 record, I've got some news for ya, you're not. UConn is the overwhelming favorite to win the BE, doesn't mean it's going to be a cakewalk. Buckle in!
Westbrook#36

Postby Jasper67 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:42 am

Westbrook#36 wrote:
Jasper67 wrote:
Westbrook#36 wrote:Hoyas playin their annual outta mind game, against the best team in the BE. Who has a #1 seed in the dance firmly in their sight. Now the Huskies know what it feels like.

This is not the first time in their undefeated streak that the Huskies have been challenged. The fact that they were trailing in the middle of the 2nd half doesn’t really tell the story. One of the things that makes this team special is their depth. They had 8 players in double figures for minutes played last night. Georgetown had 6. They simply wear other teams down. It’s not surprising that they took control of the game in the 4th quarter and won going away by 11.

Not the point I was making. The gist of the off hand comment was about Georgetown's recent propensity to look and play like crap ooc and the vast majority of conference play. Only to rise up and play out of their mind against very good top of the table BE teams, who are looking like #1 seeds in March. As a Nova fan, I've seen this multiple times, I believe so too has Xavier and Creighton.

Now a rebuttal to your comment. I've seen quite a few of UConn games this season. They have not been pushed as long and as hard as that poor Hoyas team did the other night, by much better teams. Kudos to UConn, a very good team, maybe the best in the country right now. But if you think you're coasting through the BE to a 19-1 or 18-2 record, I've got some news for ya, you're not. UConn is the overwhelming favorite to win the BE, doesn't mean it's going to be a cakewalk. Buckle in!

Okay, got it with regard to your point about Georgetown.

With regard to teams that have pushed UConn we n the 2nd half, see Butler, Alabama, and Iowa Stare.

I don’t know who you’re referring to when you say “you”. You say, if I think I’m coasting, I’m not? I’m not UConn. And do I think UConn will coast through the Bug East schedule? Of course not.
Jasper67

Postby Westbrook#36 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:19 pm

Jasper67 wrote:Okay, got it with regard to your point about Georgetown.

With regard to teams that have pushed UConn we n the 2nd half, see Butler, Alabama, and Iowa Stare.

I don’t know who you’re referring to when you say “you”. You say, if I think I’m coasting, I’m not? I’m not UConn. And do I think UConn will coast through the Bug East schedule? Of course not.

You mean 3 games where the Huskies never trailed at any point in the 2nd half. Let alone by 7 with about 10 to go, and won going away by 15, 18, and 22 points? Those games?

Are you not a UConn fan? You certainly come across as one. Checking your posting history, yep claimed to have checked in on the Syracuse board, VERY Husky fan ish. Borderline disingenuous response there.
Westbrook#36

Postby Jasper67 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:42 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:
Jasper67 wrote:Okay, got it with regard to your point about Georgetown.

You mean 3 games where the Huskies never trailed at any point in the 2nd half. Let alone by 7 with about 10 to go, and won going away by 15, 18, and 22 points? Those games?

As I said, “teams that have pushed UConn”:l

1. The UConn-Alabama game was tied with 9 minutes to go.
2. The Iowa State game was a 5-point game with less than 9 minutes to go.
3. Butler trailed by just 4 points with 9 & a half minutes to go and were within 6 points with less than 7 & a half minutes.

Yes, they won these games going away - just as they won the Georgetown game going away. That was my point.
Jasper67

Postby Westbrook#36 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:34 pm

Fair enough, all 4 of those games were the ones they seemed to be pushed the hardest, maybe also Ok State? It's debatable which was toughest, what's most amazing is the Huskies haven't had a game decided by single digits yet. Goes to show how well they're playing at the moment, can't say I'm not extremely worried about going to the XL Center on Wed. Nova will have to be on top of their game and not have one of those slow starts.
Westbrook#36

Postby Jasper67 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:23 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:Fair enough, all 4 of those games were the ones they seemed to be pushed the hardest, maybe also Ok State? It's debatable which was toughest, what's most amazing is the Huskies haven't had a game decided by single digits yet. Goes to show how well they're playing at the moment, can't say I'm not extremely worried about going to the XL Center on Wed. Nova will have to be on top of their game and not have one of those slow starts.

Although Oklahoma State was the closest in final margin of victory, I was only looking at games which were within 5 points in the 4th quarter.

I really think that Creighton is going to make a comeback. They’re a different team with Kalkbrenner in the lineup. I’m really impressed as well with the way that Villanova and Marquette have been playing. I expect them to keep getting better as the season goes on. I have not been impressed with the way that Providence has been playing, but they keep making a liar of me. They are tough and gritty just like their coach and seem to pull games out even when the quality of their play hasn’t been pretty. Xavier has been playing as well as was expected and just seem smooth. All of the above will be heard from one way or the other, so it should be a typical BE scramble at crunch time.
Jasper67

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board