Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:25 am

dakphonics wrote:I’m going to be that guy (from Omaha) that has to come back here and point out something intended to annoy Xavier fans and keep this never-ending thread from going off the first page. If things go the way of the preseason rankings, Dayton would once again be one of the best teams in the Big East this year. I’ve always liked that team because they have an awesome passionate fan base in a city not that smaller than Omaha, they host the first four, and they win a lot of games.

Also I have a true love for, and irrational belief in “mid-major” Catholic schools that seem like perpetual Cinderellas building major programs without football. I want to see another one punch above their weight all the way to the holyland of hoops. And they are more likely to elevate their status than anyone else. They are (I’m sorry) quite far ahead of SLU in terms of pedigree/history. And I kinda think if Dayton joins the Big East it will elevate SLU faster as it is quite clear they are working to make themselves attractive to the Big East as well.

Also I feel bad for Dayton. When Creighton got picked over Dayton (when we are already so far West), I felt like we were incredibly fortunate to be outside the conference footprint and still get an invite. It feels like it was such a reach, and Dayton which was right in that same area with Butler and Xavier… I felt like we were lucky. Dayton on the other hand kinda got screwed over. Everyone in Omaha knew Creighton was a sleeping giant. And I think Dayton folks feels the same way about their program. And so I just want to see them get invited and go nuts. I’m sure Butler and Xavier fans will make the argument that there are already two teams recruiting that area. Well you also have Cincinnati, Purdue, Indiana, Norte Dame, Michigan and MSU, West Virginia, Ohio State, Kentucky, and Louisville... probably the Illinois schools too. So really, what’s one more?

Also if there is a team I kinda see as our natural rival it is Xavier. I am already worried they are going to beat us once this year when they shouldn’t. It will probably be when we are undefeated at home, and someone on our team will tear an ACL or something so late in the game that it happens on an inbounds play with XU up 5 with 1 second on the clock. This player will get hurt when the outcome has been decided and it didn’t need to happen. He shouldn’t even be out there!!! And it will probably happen because that’s just how it goes in X-CU games, there have been a lot of meaningful and close bouts for both sides. Lots of joy and heartbreak. Villanova, Xavier and Creighton have been 1, 2, and 3 in the conference in terms of weeks in the AP ranks and tourney appearances/success since re-alignment. Villanova is like Big Bro that we beat more than most, but we are still a bit behind. Xavier is like our twin brother that I want to make eat dirt. Xavier seems to have many natural and bitter rivals, but Creighton fans appreciate the lore we have with Xavier going back to the MVC/Horizon (but we arent mid-major) days and I hope the feelings are mutual. And, well anyway… I want Dayton to join so that I can laugh at how annoyed Xavier fans get. After all, the enemy of my enemy is my friend. At least for now.

Also I’d just prefer to stay at 11. All of the above is what I’d want if we had to take one more and if Gonzaga couldn’t work or if a certain specific P5 school wouldn’t dissolve their incredibly horrible football program to join us. The football team that nobody watches, with the crumbling stadium. The football team that is about to be a massive black hole to their state where the citizens are disengaged (sound familiar UCONN?). The football team that struggles to fill their scholarships. The team that the media companies are going to do no favors for with the departure of conference heavyweights. The football team that is looking less and less likely to ever join the BigTen/SEC duopoly. The football team whose school is just a few hours from Omaha, and a stones throw from major market Kansas City. The school whose basketball team is a blue blood, the defending national champs, the Rock Chaulk Jayhawks. I think this is about the only realistic shot at any power conference school unless the ACC just completely exploded. Which isn’t going to happen this realignment cycle. So it’s Gonzaga (well if it could work, then duh), then KU (again if it could work, duh) and after that it’s Dayton for different reasons. And then that’s like pretty much it.

But let’s be real. It’s prob up to the media companies. I don’t know what Dayton could bring. But their alumni base is bigger than much of the Big East, and they probably get good ratings there in the city of Dayton. People may say, who watches Dayton basketball outside the city of Dayton? And I’d say, who watches Creighton Basketball outside of the city of Omaha? Not many, and Omaha isn’t that much bigger than Dayton. Really who watches much of any basketball team in the Big East outside the city they reside? Do more people in New York watch SJU than people in Omaha watch Creighton? It’s a fair question. It wouldn’t surprise me if Dayton was able to draw more of an audience to a Creighton matchup than when we play DePaul, Georgetown, or St. John’s. Because of the way that community embraces the team it wouldn’t surprise me if they were top half of the conference in terms of ratings.

I’ll stop now. I just want to say, I think Dayton is closer than many would like to believe. But double round robin, or big splash first.

No thanks. Ms. Ackerman will see you out. Thanks for stopping by.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby admin » Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:01 am

Kennesaw State leaving the A-SUN for CUSA.
admin
Site Admin

Postby stever20 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:38 pm

sounds like Gonzaga has been talking with the Big 12 about joining.
stever20

Postby adoraz » Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:39 pm

That'd be rough for the Big East. Could potentially open the door for Big East schools leaving, too.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby stever20 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:18 pm

adoraz wrote:That'd be rough for the Big East. Could potentially open the door for Big East schools leaving, too.

Yeah, definitely agree with you there for sure. Saw on the CSN board someone mentioning Creighton- that would be like 185 miles away from KC where the Big 12 conference tourney is a lot.
stever20

Postby shizzle898 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:23 pm

I don't think Creighton moves the needle enough for the Big 12. Gonzaga is a unique piece.
shizzle898

Postby Omaha1 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:29 pm

shizzle898 wrote:I don't think Creighton moves the needle enough for the Big 12. Gonzaga is a unique piece.

Creighton is in the B12 footprint but I can’t imagine this actually happening. Never.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby adoraz » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:48 pm

It is a bit odd that this isn't a done deal yet, given these realignment moves tend to be announced after they happen. It's also odd this is happening after the Big XII already signed a TV contract. That could mean Gonzaga leaked this as leverage for Pac / BE negotiations. I'm pretty sure they'd choose the Big XII over the Big East (mainly due to location), but it's possible they'd choose the Big East over the Pac 12. The Pac 12 isn't very good in basketball and could be killed off before they even join.

As I've been saying for a while, the Big East needs to do everything possible to maximize our next TV contract. Whether that means signing with ESPN, adding Gonzaga, even adding Dayton (lol- I don't think that'd help but if they do then so be it). Can't worry about "what if" scenarios 10 years from now, just need to secure the bag and survive in this changing landscape.

Any conference sitting idle right now, such as the Pac 12, will be left behind. If an elite team is available (such as UConn a few years ago) and the finances work, you add them, period. Hopefully Val is prepared to offer Gonzaga membership, but if the Big XII is then that's where they'll end up.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby adoraz » Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:12 pm

Over the next few years it's possible some Big East schools will be offered/poached by a weakened ACC/Big XII/etc.

In order of likelihood (IMO):
1. UConn
2. Georgetown
3. Villanova
4. St. John's (mostly due to size, MSG and location)
5. Creighton (I'd put them higher but due to location I couldn't see the ACC ever adding them)
6. Xavier

Outside of UConn who may prioritize football, I'd hope the rest of our schools are smart enough to stick together. If a diminished ACC invites Georgetown for instance, Georgetown would be better off demanding as many Big East schools as possible join them.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Jet915 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:27 pm

adoraz wrote:It is a bit odd that this isn't a done deal yet, given these realignment moves tend to be announced after they happen. It's also odd this is happening after the Big XII already signed a TV contract. That could mean Gonzaga leaked this as leverage for Pac / BE negotiations. I'm pretty sure they'd choose the Big XII over the Big East (mainly due to location), but it's possible they'd choose the Big East over the Pac 12. The Pac 12 isn't very good in basketball and could be killed off before they even join.

As I've been saying for a while, the Big East needs to do everything possible to maximize our next TV contract. Whether that means signing with ESPN, adding Gonzaga, even adding Dayton (lol- I don't think that'd help but if they do then so be it). Can't worry about "what if" scenarios 10 years from now, just need to secure the bag and survive in this changing landscape.

Any conference sitting idle right now, such as the Pac 12, will be left behind. If an elite team is available (such as UConn a few years ago) and the finances work, you add them, period. Hopefully Val is prepared to offer Gonzaga membership, but if the Big XII is then that's where they'll end up.

Would Gonzaga choose the BigXII over the Big East? Overall, there is probably a little less travel? But the BigXII still has schools in Ohio, West Virginia and Florida and Gonzaga looks nothing like any of the BigXII schools.
Jet915

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board