BIG EAST NBA Champions

The home for Big East hoops

BIG EAST NBA Champions

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:35 am

Congratulations to Golden State's Otto Porter (Georgetown) and Juan Anderson (Marquette) on their NBA Championships last night representing the BIG EAST. Always great to see our guys become champions at the next level.
GoldenWarrior11

BIG EAST NBA Champions

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Big East Links

Postby BE1979 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:46 pm

League will be loaded with pro prospects this coming season:

https://www.house-enterprise.com/post/t ... igs-abound
BE1979

Re: BIG EAST NBA Champions

Postby admin » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:50 am

Didn't want to start a new NBA thread.

UConn's Tyrese Martin was the only Big East player drafted last night, 51st to Atlanta. I think most prognosticators were mildly surprised that Justin Lewis was not selected.
admin
Site Admin

Re: BIG EAST NBA Champions

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:53 am

admin wrote:Didn't want to start a new NBA thread.

UConn's Tyrese Martin was the only Big East player drafted last night, 51st to Atlanta. I think most prognosticators were mildly surprised that Justin Lewis was not selected.

Eh, it was always a possibility (and, frankly, more realistic than many MU fans would have predicted). Even if you are given a second round grade, there still remains a strong possibility that you end up going undrafted due to the number of teams that A) seek to draft a foreign player to stash away for multiple seasons B) the number of teams not seeking to utilize a second pick to take up a roster spot and spend precious cap space on and C) second round graded players are, for the most part, mostly interchangeable dependent on need. When Liddell began to fall out of the first, I knew Justin was in trouble; after Liddell, only four forwards were drafted. More teams were just seeking guards. I would argue that Justin, with the Bulls, is in a much better opportunity with that coaching staff (Donovan) and player development than, say, with Charlotte (who has no coaching staff and doesn't exactly have a reputation of developing players. Some organizations are clearly better than others in this regard.

To me, what is most alarming, is that the Big East - for the second time in three seasons - did not have a first round player drafted. For a variety of reasons, Big East programs are simply not recruiting or attracting lottery-level NBA talent anymore. It remains the Dukes, UNCs, Kentuckys, Kansases and Arizonas. Even without the lottery talent, the Big East doesn't have the first round talent anymore. That should be highlighted as a long-term area of growth and improvement for the league moving forward.
GoldenWarrior11

Return to Big East basketball message board