Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby Depaulof89 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:25 pm

Well with jay wright leaving that means Villanova will suck like the rest of us. Maybe we do need to add some teams
Depaulof89

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby adoraz » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:38 pm

Depaulof89 wrote:Well with jay wright leaving that means Villanova will suck like the rest of us. Maybe we do need to add some teams

Dayton troll based on thier post history. You could've at least typed DePaul correctly. :lol:

Given that Gonzaga is the only available team that would elevate our league, this news might not be great for their case given Few is only one year younger than Wright. If Gonzaga isn't added then I don't see other teams being added either. My prediction was 3 new teams within the next couple years with the headliner being Gonzaga.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Depaulof89 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:45 pm

adoraz wrote:
Depaulof89 wrote:Well with jay wright leaving that means Villanova will suck like the rest of us. Maybe we do need to add some teams

Dayton troll based on thier post history. You could've at least typed DePaul correctly. :lol:

Given that Gonzaga is the only available team that would elevate our league, this news might not be great for their case given Few is only one year younger than Wright. If Gonzaga isn't added then I don't see other teams being added either. My prediction was 3 new teams within the next couple years with the headliner being Gonzaga.

That’s why I try not to waste my time on these free sites. People like you. Nova has been the only real powerhouse in our league besides Xavier once or twice. Sorry our opinions don’t align so you have to take shots at me.
Depaulof89

Postby butlerguy03 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:13 pm

Depaulof89 wrote:
adoraz wrote:

That’s why I try not to waste my time on these free sites. People like you. Nova has been the only real powerhouse in our league besides Xavier once or twice. Sorry our opinions don’t align so you have to take shots at me.

Butler always gets forgotten by this board. That's OK. Only 9 NCAA units since joining and probably would have had a few more in 2020 as a protected seed sent through Indianapolis, but whatever.
Butler University '03
butlerguy03

Postby adoraz » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:26 pm

Depaulof89 wrote:
adoraz wrote:

Good, then leave.

Every post you've made was in this thread and within the past 2 weeks. Your first post was just an ad for Dayton. Your second and third posts were trashing the idea of adding Gonzaga. Your fourth post was dumping on every program in our league. You're obviously a Dayton troll, and not a very smart one either.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby kayako » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:28 pm

butlerguy03 wrote:
Butler always gets forgotten by this board. That's OK. Only 9 NCAA units since joining and probably would have had a few more in 2020 as a protected seed sent through Indianapolis, but whatever.

Butler was not getting a protected seed in 2020. It would've been Creighton, Nova, and Seton Hall seeded anywhere between 2 to 4.
supernova
kayako

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:55 pm

butlerguy03 wrote:Butler always gets forgotten by this board. That's OK. Only 9 NCAA units since joining and probably would have had a few more in 2020 as a protected seed sent through Indianapolis, but whatever.

That's because of the Lavall Jordan era. I imagine Thad will have Butler relevant again very soon.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:14 am

If Swarbrick, one of the most connected and influential ADs in the country, has come out in saying this, then there is - as of today - a very likely possibility that this type of separation takes place. ND is in a precarious position due to the factions within the school fighting for the long-term vision of the football program (and athletic department); on one hand you have the group that wants the school to maintain its education-based athletic model (which has won out at various points in time) and not get in deep with the NIL model; on the other, they likely have the other group that wants to move full-speed ahead with the NIL model, as they recognize a nationally relevant football program improves the reach of the school (and feeds towards their academically-based mission). What they end up doing will be interesting for sure.

I can this going either way. Schools like Notre Dame, Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Boston College, Wake Forest etc. will never allow their athletic departments to operate independently from the school IMO. They could easily use a fraction of their significantly large endowments to become national powers in many sports annually; they choose not to due to the academic focus and mission. With the way the model is moving, the SEC and larger state schools, are moving further and further away from the educational model and from oversight of the school. Similarly, I can also see these types of schools agreeing to go along out of fear of losing out on high academic students (thus hurting the school long-term).

Regardless, the ACC should be on watch. Their TV deal ends in the 2036. They also have a mixture of Publics/Privates, State/Metro schools, and football-first and basketball-first athletic departments with varying degrees of athletic focus. Schools like FSU, Clemson and North Carolina will not be able to stand by idly and see the SEC and B1G soon-to-be raking in 60+/70+ million annually in athletic television revenues. They will seek a jump when able, easily leaving behind others akin to Texas and Oklahoma.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby DeltaV » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:32 pm

College sports need to decide what they want to be.

Are they educational institutions where the athletes really are still students? Or are they minor league sports operations that just happen to be co-located with a major university? Some people would probably argue that it's already the latter, at least in some instances.

I was a minor sport athlete (swimming); there was no question of what was more important when it came to conflicts between my sport and my academics. I know at Nova, and probably the rest of the Big East, they pride themselves that the students do perform well in class as well, and most of them go on to graduate. But what does Jay (or I guess Kyle now, that still hasn't entirely sunk in yet) say if Samuels had come to him and said that there was an elective he wanted to take that would mean he'd be an hour late to practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays? I did that for a semester, and workout was left up on the board for me to complete later that evening.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board