BREAKING: JAY WRIGHT Retiring!!!

The home for Big East hoops

Re: BREAKING: JAY WRIGHT Retiring!!!

Postby adoraz » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:43 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:"Here's the thing..." - Stever 20

Can they do it again as members of the Big East?? Or will ANY of the current crop rise to the challenge?

Lol, well between that group of 5 coaches (not counting CMA since he's been here a few years and hasn't done much yet), 2 coaches who are very much on the rise with recent S16 appearances (Cooley and McDermott) and a couple of solid unknowns like Neptune (leading our flagship program), I like our chances of at least one or two coaches making a deep run soon. I really have no clue who, but I'm pretty optimistic about most teams in our league either maintaining their current status or improving upon it.
Johnnies
adoraz

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ArmyVet » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:47 pm

adoraz wrote:

Can they do it again as members of the Big East?? Or will ANY of the current crop rise to the challenge?

Lol, well between that group of 5 coaches (not counting CMA since he's been here a few years and hasn't done much yet), 2 coaches who are very much on the rise with recent S16 appearances (Cooley and McDermott) and a couple of solid unknowns like Neptune (leading our flagship program), I like our chances of at least one or two coaches making a deep run soon. I really have no clue who, but I'm pretty optimistic about most teams in our league either maintaining their current status or improving upon it.

I am optimistic as well, but the 800lb gorilla in the room is how NIL impacts a league like the Big East. The national POY is returning to Kentucky with about $2 Million dollars of NIL money is the rumor. If that becomes the norm and immediate eligibility transfers for NIL $$$ becomes a real threat to the Big East in my opinion.
ArmyVet

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:51 pm

ArmyVet wrote:
adoraz wrote:

I am optimistic as well, but the 800lb gorilla in the room is how NIL impacts a league like the Big East. The national POY is returning to Kentucky with about $2 Million dollars of NIL money is the rumor. If that becomes the norm and immediate eligibility transfers for NIL $$$ becomes a real threat to the Big East in my opinion.

Big East basketball budgets are on par with the P5 and almost every school is located in a metropolitan area. If we cant keep up then we aren't trying hard enough.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby adoraz » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:54 pm

ArmyVet wrote:
adoraz wrote:

I think it's pretty unlikely we'll be negatively affected. The Big East has never gotten the highest ranked player(s), and rarely gets 5 star players. We've done well with a bunch of 4 stars who stay for several years. This year we've done a really good job thus far with the portal and have gained more than we've lost, especially if some of the current departures choose Big East teams as rumored. Until we see it negatively affect us over a few years I'm not concerned. It might even help us (along with the other Power conferences) by taking more players from mid-majors.

These 5 stars at Kentucky were always being paid, now it's just more in the open.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:32 pm

ArmyVet wrote:
adoraz wrote:

We may not be as well positioned as the F5 to funnel money to players through "endorsement deals" ;) but we are well positioned to give players plenty of opportunity to make money through legitimate ones. All of our schools are in major metropolitan areas with a ton of businesses, meaning plenty of opportunities for someone to see value in partnering with a standout college athlete.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Husky_U » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:29 pm

Should have known something was up when he ditched the suit & tie.
Husky_U

Postby DanofXav76 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:26 pm

Along with all of the rest already said, a few memories of Jay on the bench I'll always remember. He always had something positive to say about the opponent he just played ( and usually beat). The Holy Shot buzzer beater to win his first Natty. Winning every game by double digits during his second Natty run.
Such a Class Act. Damn I'll miss seeing him on the court.
DanofXav76

Postby kayako » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:35 pm

Just thinking out loud about how dominant Jay Wright was in the BE post reconfiguration, his worst team won the regular season outright & won the BET. No other school has come close to doing that even once. There's no shot of this past 9 year stretch ever happening again, because honestly the competition is better now. Gone are the days of Woj being Jay's main challenger. But I'd like to think that Neptune merely needs to be average to continue the well-oiled machine that Jay has built. That doesn't mean BE titles year after year, but still good enough to be near the top most seasons. It's quite telling that nobody has entered the portal or has decommitted from Nova yet.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:49 pm

kayako wrote:Just thinking out loud about how dominant Jay Wright was in the BE post reconfiguration, his worst team won the regular season outright & won the BET. No other school has come close to doing that even once. There's no shot of this past 9 year stretch ever happening again, because honestly the competition is better now. Gone are the days of Woj being Jay's main challenger. But I'd like to think that Neptune merely needs to be average to continue the well-oiled machine that Jay has built. That doesn't mean BE titles year after year, but still good enough to be near the top most seasons. It's quite telling that nobody has entered the portal or has decommitted from Nova yet.

Yeah 147-34 vs Big East teams regular season and BET just won't happen again.

Rothstein had this list:
Two National Titles
Three Final Fours
7 Big East Regular Season Titles
5 Big East Tournament Titles
22-6 in NCAA Tournament Games
263-45 Overall Record
83.2% Winning Percentage
130-31 in Big East Regular Season Games
stever20

Postby kayako » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:48 pm

stever20 wrote:
Yeah 147-34 vs Big East teams regular season and BET just won't happen again.

Rothstein had this list:
Two National Titles
Three Final Fours
7 Big East Regular Season Titles
5 Big East Tournament Titles
22-6 in NCAA Tournament Games
263-45 Overall Record
83.2% Winning Percentage
130-31 in Big East Regular Season Games

Yeah what a stretch. And to think that Jay's been rather unfortunate with killer injuries, BS ineligibility, and getting matched up with eventual national champions so frequently.
supernova
kayako

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board