Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby ArmyVet » Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:29 pm

Git.. my man... Love your passion. But you've got to stop imagining even for one second that Notre Dame is a possible Big East addition for basketball.
ArmyVet

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:56 pm

ArmyVet wrote:Git.. my man... Love your passion. But you've got to stop imagining even for one second that Notre Dame is a possible Big East addition for basketball.

Army... Never say never... adapt & overcome. :lol: :lol: ;)

One never knows what the tide will bring...
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby shizzle898 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:16 pm

I know that everyone is worried about the upcoming TV contract and not losing the double round-robin but we are about to become the smallest power conference in basketball. That is not a good place to be. I predict that the Big East will expand to 12 before the contract comes up. I hope that is Gonzaga but I have a feeling it won't get done. My second choice would be Dayton. They have a rabid fan base, they are the only show in town, and they have good NCAA tournament history compared to the other potential additions sans Gonzaga.
shizzle898

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:36 pm

shizzle898 wrote:I know that everyone is worried about the upcoming TV contract and not losing the double round-robin but we are about to become the smallest power conference in basketball. That is not a good place to be. I predict that the Big East will expand to 12 before the contract comes up. I hope that is Gonzaga but I have a feeling it won't get done. My second choice would be Dayton. They have a rabid fan base, they are the only show in town, and they have good NCAA tournament history compared to the other potential additions sans Gonzaga.

:lol: :lol:
Um, no, nope, nah, thanks for playing. Not interested in a middling program like Dayton.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby DeltaV » Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:50 am

Why does everyone keep saying being the smallest conference in terms of number of members is a bad thing? We already have more games than FS1 can play, games get sold to CBS sports net. There only argument I can see would be to have more games in MSG for the tournament.

What does more teams get us, other than an unbalanced schedule?
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby adoraz » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:41 am

DeltaV wrote:Why does everyone keep saying being the smallest conference in terms of number of members is a bad thing? We already have more games than FS1 can play, games get sold to CBS sports net. There only argument I can see would be to have more games in MSG for the tournament.

It's all about perception in a world where the Power 5 and ESPN are trying to set their own narrative and potentially break away. The Big East needs to continue being one of the most elite conferences every year so we can continue being seen as a Power conference. That's critical for everything from recruiting to our TV contract.

The 2011 Big East is considered by many to be the greatest conference in history. As I'm sure you know 11/16 teams made the Dance that year.

The current Big East sent 7/10 teams to the Dance a few years ago, but that isn't considered a historic season by many. Ironically 7/10 (70%) is actually more than 11/16 (68.75%), but nobody sees it that way.

Most fans judge conference performance by how many teams make the Tournament each year (see: Big Ten hype... despite their Tournament blunders) and how far the top teams go. When we have fewer teams than everyone else we simply have fewer opportunities for teams to make the Dance and also advance (such as the 8 seed UNC making the finals this year, and Miami/St. Peter's making the Elite 8 despite their seeding).

I'm not saying the conference should go out and fill it with garbage, but it is overall a disadvantage having fewer teams.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby stever20 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:39 am

adoraz wrote:
DeltaV wrote:Why does everyone keep saying being the smallest conference in terms of number of members is a bad thing? We already have more games than FS1 can play, games get sold to CBS sports net. There only argument I can see would be to have more games in MSG for the tournament.

It's all about perception in a world where the Power 5 and ESPN are trying to set their own narrative and potentially break away. The Big East needs to continue being one of the most elite conferences every year so we can continue being seen as a Power conference. That's critical for everything from recruiting to our TV contract.

The 2011 Big East is considered by many to be the greatest conference in history. As I'm sure you know 11/16 teams made the Dance that year.

The current Big East sent 7/10 teams to the Dance a few years ago, but that isn't considered a historic season by many. Ironically 7/10 (70%) is actually more than 11/16 (68.75%), but nobody sees it that way.

Most fans judge conference performance by how many teams make the Tournament each year (see: Big Ten hype... despite their Tournament blunders) and how far the top teams go. When we have fewer teams than everyone else we simply have fewer opportunities for teams to make the Dance and also advance (such as the 8 seed UNC making the finals this year, and Miami/St. Peter's making the Elite 8 despite their seeding).

I'm not saying the conference should go out and fill it with garbage, but it is overall a disadvantage having fewer teams.

Also more teams in league allows not just more teams to make tourney, but also generally speaking more teams can also get better seeds.

Also more teams means a chance to maybe split the TV contract and get more TV money that way as well.
stever20

Postby ecasadoSBU » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:49 am

I don't get it either.

Does the concern come from the amount of inventory to offer to TV? Because there shouldn't be any concern about losing members to realignment.... so? why the need to get to 12?
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby Cheech » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:31 pm

IF Mora gets the UCONN football program going and that’s a BIG IF…UConn would take a bid to the ACC in a second. The Presidents and Val know that. They cannot stay independent and survive and they are going for it with Mora. So have to be ready for that .
Cheech

Postby ecasadoSBU » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:37 pm

Cheech wrote:IF Mora gets the UCONN football program going and that’s a BIG IF…UConn would take a bid to the ACC in a second. The Presidents and Val know that. They cannot stay independent and survive and they are going for it with Mora. So have to be ready for that .

I don't see the UConn FB experiment ever working out again to get them back to the P5 status.

It's sad. but UConn got left behind. So did UMass and Buffalo.

The Northeast isn't a College Football stronghold. Every day we lose more and more ground to the Southeast/Midwestern powers. Even Syracuse, BC, and Rutgers struggle to draw attention outside of their alumni bases

If I were UConn I would work hard to assemble a FB league of P5 rejects and major state Universities in the region - UConn, Temple, UMass, Buffalo, Army, Stony Brook, Delaware
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board