Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby Jet915 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:58 pm

UD Flyer Fanatic wrote:Sorry I wasted your time Omaha. I'll try to do better. Other than Gonzaga and ND, I doubt that any other team meets your standard.

Honestly its whatever Fox or whoever gets our next contract wants. If Dayton will cause an increase payout they will be added. Right now I think only Gonzaga moves that needle.....
Jet915

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TheZagaholic » Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:18 pm

New Bloods talked about the rumors in the last half of their podcast:

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/5g36H7 ... Rx6cYTS7Xg

Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/n ... 0556683434
TheZagaholic

Postby billyjack » Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:58 pm

TheZagaholic wrote:New Bloods talked about the rumors in the last half of their podcast:

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/5g36H7 ... Rx6cYTS7Xg

Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/n ... 0556683434

Good discussion.

Not sure why resistance would come from Providence, unless other schools told PC in private and we're speaking for them?
Providence
billyjack

Postby Husky_U » Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:41 pm

Providence soooooooooooooooooooo nasty towards Gonzaga! Boooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
Husky_U

Postby dakphonics » Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:49 pm

Dayton made the Elite 8 in 2014, and has made 3 other NCAA tournaments, and robbed of further glory when Toppin was smashing rims, and then the NCAA tournament was cancelled. If Dayton would have done that in the Big East the last 8 seasons they would have way more than carried their weight and added NCAA credits to our pile. They’ve done more since realignment than half of our conference. I again fail to understand why anyone would say they don’t improve the conference. And again I’m not a Dayton guy. I’m a diehard Bluejay.

I don’t understand the love for SLU outside of geography. It’s a bigger city but basketball is not a concern to the people there, and they have almost no history in the sport. I want teams with a good product and rabid fans.
dakphonics

Postby Jet915 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:54 pm

dakphonics wrote:Dayton made the Elite 8 in 2014, and has made 3 other NCAA tournaments, and robbed of further glory when Toppin was smashing rims, and then the NCAA tournament was cancelled. If Dayton would have done that in the Big East the last 8 seasons they would have way more than carried their weight and added NCAA credits to our pile. They’ve done more since realignment than half of our conference. I again fail to understand why anyone would say they don’t improve the conference. And again I’m not a Dayton guy. I’m a diehard Bluejay.

I don’t understand the love for SLU outside of geography. It’s a bigger city but basketball is not a concern to the people there, and they have almost no history in the sport. I want teams with a good product and rabid fans.

I dont disagree with what youve said but will Fox or whoever pay us more money for having Dayton?
Jet915

Postby UD Flyer Fanatic » Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:45 pm

Me again, and I have my objective shades on-
The BE has been smart in their handling of league expansion. In the next expansion there will be more considerations than just short-term value-add of NewTeamX. Certainly, the next TV contract for you is huge, but another consideration is acquiring additional inventory, league marketing expansion, increasing national exposure, and of course the NIL game changer. I am no doubt telling you what you already know- It will be an interesting next 20 years. I know this may sound self-serving, but I'd say it in any circumstance: Time to gather your long-term allies, funny things happen...
UD Flyer Fanatic

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:06 pm

dakphonics wrote:Dayton made the Elite 8 in 2014, and has made 3 other NCAA tournaments, and robbed of further glory when Toppin was smashing rims, and then the NCAA tournament was cancelled. If Dayton would have done that in the Big East the last 8 seasons they would have way more than carried their weight and added NCAA credits to our pile. They’ve done more since realignment than half of our conference. I again fail to understand why anyone would say they don’t improve the conference. And again I’m not a Dayton guy. I’m a diehard Bluejay.

It's a major sports down with a DMA nearly 3x the size of Dayton. Local TV viewership for both the Blues and Cards are elite for their respective leagues. They were drawing nearly 30k for the freaking XFL. Incoming MLS team sold out instantly, obviously no TV data available for them yet. With no NBA team, I see a potentially very high ceiling for high major college basketball.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby XUFan09 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:43 pm

Hall2012 wrote:

It's a major sports down with a DMA nearly 3x the size of Dayton. Local TV viewership for both the Blues and Cards are elite for their respective leagues. They were drawing nearly 30k for the freaking XFL. Incoming MLS team sold out instantly, obviously no TV data available for them yet. With no NBA team, I see a potentially very high ceiling for high major college basketball.

Decent number of Mizzou fans in St. Louis, but that's probably partly a function of SLU not being in a high major conference.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby hoops22 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:57 pm

I really believe there will be massive changes coming to college basketball over the next five years. From NIL to a potential breakaway from the NCAA, we need to be in the strongest position possible, and there is strength in numbers. My best guess is we'll wind up at 14, so the question is which additional three make the most sense. Unfortunately there are no slam dunk additions other than Gonzaga, but I'd be fine with Dayton and St.Louis being two of the three.
hoops22

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board