Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby stever20 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:37 am

Hall2012 wrote:
kayako wrote:If realignment is driven by TV execs, I doubt they limit inventory by creating divisions. Imagine top 2 teams only playing against each other once because of divisions.

It could easily happen anyway without the double RR. Look at this year - Providence and Creighton were picked 7th and 8th. If the goal was to schedule the top of the league to play each other twice and the bottom once, Villanova very realistically could have ended up playing Creighton and PC only once each.

normally though top of the league would try to avoid teams picked even lower than 7th/8th. More like the 9th/10th/11th type of teams.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:45 am

stever20 wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:
kayako wrote:If realignment is driven by TV execs, I doubt they limit inventory by creating divisions. Imagine top 2 teams only playing against each other once because of divisions.

It could easily happen anyway without the double RR. Look at this year - Providence and Creighton were picked 7th and 8th. If the goal was to schedule the top of the league to play each other twice and the bottom once, Villanova very realistically could have ended up playing Creighton and PC only once each.

normally though top of the league would try to avoid teams picked even lower than 7th/8th. More like the 9th/10th/11th type of teams.

Sure, but everyone needs games. Someone's gotta play the bottom three twice. My point though, is more that the final standings in this league have rarely closely resembled pre-season projections. There's always surprised and disappointments, so unless we're gonna go with a bracket-busters style "everyone's last 3 opponents to be determined at a later date," there's always the risk of an imbalanced schedule not working out in the league's best interest.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby kayako » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:49 am

Jet915 wrote:

You can play everyone in our "division" twice, everyone in the other division once which makes it 16 games and then have 2 "extra" games against your other division for TV/matchups for total of 18.

I think it's still better to have flexibility vs. set-in-stone years in advance schedule.
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:00 am

Hall2012 wrote:Sure, but everyone needs games. Someone's gotta play the bottom three twice. My point though, is more that the final standings in this league have rarely closely resembled pre-season projections. There's always surprised and disappointments, so unless we're gonna go with a bracket-busters style "everyone's last 3 opponents to be determined at a later date," there's always the risk of an imbalanced schedule not working out in the league's best interest.

What's the main selling point of creating divisions to avoid imbalanced conference schedule? BET seeding? I don't get it....
supernova
kayako

Postby billyjack » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:05 am

What would a 22-game schedule look like? Fewer non-conference games for all of us?

Why can't the NCAA increase its arbitrary number of allowable games? Why can't the season start the last week of October?

Why can't Midnite Madness start a week earlier, Oct 8th or whenever?

College hockey starts earlier than hoops and ends on the same week.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:07 am

kayako wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:Sure, but everyone needs games. Someone's gotta play the bottom three twice. My point though, is more that the final standings in this league have rarely closely resembled pre-season projections. There's always surprised and disappointments, so unless we're gonna go with a bracket-busters style "everyone's last 3 opponents to be determined at a later date," there's always the risk of an imbalanced schedule not working out in the league's best interest.

What's the main selling point of creating divisions to avoid imbalanced conference schedule? BET seeding? I don't get it....

To make the regular season worth...anything? I mean, woohoo we won the regular season by beating up on the bottom 3 twice each while the team who finished 1 game back only got to play them once each and instead lost a road game to really tough team that we didn't have to play.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby billyjack » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:10 am

Hall2012 wrote:
kayako wrote:

To make the regular season worth...anything? I mean, woohoo we won the regular season by beating up on the bottom 3 twice each while the team who finished 1 game back only got to play them once each and instead lost a road game to really tough team that we didn't have to play.

Look, if we in Friartown want to avoid playing games *at* Gonzaga, that's within our rights.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:18 am

billyjack wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:
kayako wrote:

Look, if we in Friartown want to avoid playing games *at* Gonzaga, that's within our rights.

I do! Maybe it's just some old Big East nostalgia, but regardless of how good anyone is, I love the local games. Being within driving distance makes the SJU and PC games for example, a lot of fun and great potential road trips. I don't want to lose those to instead have to watch a 10:30pm start in Spokane. If we're giving up 2nd games with some teams, I'd rather Seton Hall give up the 2nd games in Omaha and Milwaukee than the ones in Philly and NYC.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby kayako » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:22 am

Hall2012 wrote:
kayako wrote:

It wouldn't be that imbalanced with 20 game schedule (12 teams).

billyjack, 22 game conference slate is undoable for Villanova.

22 conference games
3 MTE + 1 campus game
Gavitt
B12
4 Big 5

That's already 1 game over the max, and we'd literally have no ability to schedule anyone. Unless the Big 5 slate is reduced, I'd argue even 20 games is unsustainable.
supernova
kayako

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:26 am

kayako wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:
kayako wrote:

It wouldn't be that imbalanced with 20 game schedule (12 teams).

billyjack, 22 game conference slate is undoable for Villanova.

22 conference games
3 MTE + 1 campus game
Gavitt
B12
4 Big 5

That's already 1 game over the max, and we'd literally have no ability to schedule anyone. Unless the Big 5 slate is reduced, I'd argue even 20 games is unsustainable.

It's an extreme example of course, but with an imbalanced schedule the questions of legitimacy surrounding the last 2 regular season champions will become the norm.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board