A Review of the Hoyas

The home for Big East hoops

Re: A Review of the Hoyas

Postby stever20 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:18 am

smallmodularreactor wrote:
Savannah Jay wrote:I think I speak for most BE fans when I say I really, really want Ewing to be successful. Having him back at Georgetown is good for the BE brand. Having him back at Georgetown AND be really successful would be great for the brand.

smallmodularreactor wrote:They believe that performing as the third best team in the BE for 60% of the entire season (behind Nova and Uconn) and then winning the BET was somehow a fluke and done in spite of Ewing’s ability.

Sex Panther, 50% of the time, it works every time (for you Anchorman fans). Seems like you may be cherry-picking parts of a season to make your case. Problem is that Patrick has been there 4 seasons now and pretty much the only thing that could have happened to tarnish the BET run last year is to come back and not win a single BE game this year. If I were a fan, that would be very frustrating.

They also can’t seem to conceptualisé that Ewing does wayyyyyy more tinkering with lineups and new faces in the OOC than most coaches do, actually to the detriment of wins because he’s coaching the long game. Whether you agree with that philosophy or not, we tend to start off slow by design and some fans are incapable of understanding the value of that design and think Ewing is a worst coach because he’s willing to take more risks to achieve greatness. He didn’t come back to GU to game the system and be good. This is a dude who has practiced greatness and excellence throughout his life. His coaching philosophy is go big or go home and take risks. He has nothing to prove to anyone lol that’s what a lot of Hoya fans don’t appreciate.

This sounds like a sales pitch when there is very little substance to make the sale. Fill the void with a bunch of words. The reason Ewing is always tinkering with new lineups is because half his roster is new every year. 15 transfers out in 4 years is not normal, even in the portal era. Take more risks to achieve greatness (still waiting on the greatness). Go big or go home (home it is, 75% of the time).

Again, we all want Ewing to be successful because that would be good for the conference. It is a high profile school and job that we've not been able to capitalize on in this era. When everyone says the BE is just Nova and everyone else...they are not waiting on my Jays to be great. They are waiting for Georgetown to be great and, save for 4 days at MSG last year, they've been the opposite of great.

Interesting. I don’t see it as cherry picking at all to focus on the most important stretch of the season. The idea for all programs is to improve and peak in Feb/March, not in November/December. Championships aren’t won in December and Ewing’s coaching reflects that.

Also, that 60% isn’t an arbitrary stretch - it’s the break between our precovid break performance and the post break performance. We had more new faces than any other BE team, and we were the last year to start practicing in the BE by FAR, and we were also the last BE team to go in lockdown. So during that time our coaches were put on equal footing by having time to scout and implement fixes during that break. If you think stating that we were the third best team in the conference for most of the conference season is cherry-picking to support an invalid argument, I don’t know what to tell you. That’s literally crunch time. Nobody cares what you did in November…

Ewing also thinks OOC is meaningless. If he had his druthers he'd schedule just like Big John did- awful in OOC.

Like it or not though- that really isn't doable any longer. You schedule like that you wind up like Wake Forest and NIT.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Savannah Jay » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:01 am

My dude...i like facts. Facts matter. I feel like I am talking to one of my teenagers and asking them how that dent got in the car (and I've raised 5 of them, so i've heard it all).

2020-21 Big East Records, last 10 games
UConn 7-3
Creighton 7-3
St. Johns's 7-3
Nova 6-4
Georgetown 6-4 (and they lost their previous 4 or 5 before this 10 game stretch)
Xavier 5-5
Marquette 5-5
PC 5-5
Seton Hall 4-6
Butler 4-6
DePaul 1-9

All Ewing has to hang is hat on right now is 2021 MSG. Any other coach would have been canned by now and, frankly, without the MSG run, he'd probably be gone. Here's hoping for better days. The kid heading to Georgetown from Savannah, D'Ante Bass, is a good player, a friend of one of my kids, and I look forward to seeing him succeed as a Hoya,

Cheers.
Savannah Jay

Postby Burrito » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:14 am

Coaches at this level are paid a lot of money but are expected to perform. Xavier just parted ways with Travis Steele. His Big East conference record after 4 years was 31-37 (46% winning record).
Ewing's Big East record after 5 years is 26-63 (29% Winning record). It is reasonable that a lot of fans are calling for a change. Home attendance is officially awful.
But the administration is sticking with Ewing. So time will tell whether that was a wise choice.
Burrito

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:37 am

Patrick Ewing IS a great coach. He deserved the 'vote of confidence' and extension that GU gave him. It takes
time to implement a good system, and Coach Ewing will get it done. :roll: :lol:

Give the man a 'lifetime contract' to keep up the good work.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Hoya9697 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:24 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Patrick Ewing IS a great coach. He deserved the 'vote of confidence' and extension that GU gave him. It takes
time to implement a good system, and Coach Ewing will get it done. :roll: :lol:

Give the man a 'lifetime contract' to keep up the good work.

I’d say that settles the discussion. 8-)
Hoya9697

Postby smallmodularreactor » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:24 am

Savannah Jay wrote:My dude...i like facts. Facts matter. I feel like I am talking to one of my teenagers and asking them how that dent got in the car (and I've raised 5 of them, so i've heard it all).

UConn 7-3
Creighton 7-3
St. Johns's 7-3
Nova 6-4
Georgetown 6-4 (and they lost their previous 4 or 5 before this 10 game stretch)
Xavier 5-5
Marquette 5-5
PC 5-5
Seton Hall 4-6
Butler 4-6
DePaul 1-9

All Ewing has to hang is hat on right now is 2021 MSG. Any other coach would have been canned by now and, frankly, without the MSG run, he'd probably be gone. Here's hoping for better days. The kid heading to Georgetown from Savannah, D'Ante Bass, is a good player, a friend of one of my kids, and I look forward to seeing him succeed as a Hoya,

Cheers.

But in this case you, the parent?, has no idea what level of culpability there is for Ewing based on how things actually work at Georgetown, and your kid has the first hand knowledge and you don’t. Ironically the perfect example, because you’re just projecting your own perspective onto your kid and you only think they might think that way because you think that way - classic projection. The reality is, in that example, the kid absolutely knows the truth while you’re just grasping for it…lol I’m sure that’ll go over your head too though.

Keep referring stats that have nothing to do with the discussion…I’ll stick with the actual, realistic takes. Borne out by the FACT that he still has his job. All your arguments that he, and any coach in that position, should have already been canned is in fact the basis for my position that the people that pay him understand, because they know the FACTS better than you or me, that he is not to be blamed - at least not so much so that it costs him his job. Again, things aren’t black and white like that. GU has several folks that play puppet master…but please, again, educate me more on the inner workings of a program I’ve been a fan of for 20+ years and have had access to coaches and players the majority of that time. Please, keep teaching me new facts.
smallmodularreactor

Postby Savannah Jay » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:36 am

Savannah Jay wrote:My dude...i like facts. Facts matter. I feel like I am talking to one of my teenagers and asking them how that dent got in the car (and I've raised 5 of them, so i've heard it all).

UConn 7-3
Creighton 7-3
St. Johns's 7-3
Nova 6-4
Xavier 5-5
Marquette 5-5
PC 5-5
Seton Hall 4-6
Butler 4-6
DePaul 1-9

Cheers.

But in this case you, the parent?, has no idea what level of culpability there is for Ewing based on how things actually work at Georgetown, and your kid has the first hand knowledge and you don’t. Ironically the perfect example, because you’re just projecting your own perspective onto your kid and you only think they might think that way because you think that way - classic projection. The reality is, in that example, the kid absolutely knows the truth while you’re just grasping for it…lol I’m sure that’ll go over your head too though.

Keep referring stats that have nothing to do with the discussion…I’ll stick with the actual, realistic takes. Borne out by the FACT that he still has his job. All your arguments that he, and any coach in that position, should have already been canned is in fact the basis for my position that the people that pay him understand, because they know the FACTS better than you or me, that he is not to be blamed - at least not so much so that it costs him his job. Again, things aren’t black and white like that. GU has several folks that play puppet master…but please, again, educate me more on the inner workings of a program I’ve been a fan of for 20+ years and have had access to coaches and players the majority of that time. Please, keep teaching me new facts.

LOL...Bless your heart.
Savannah Jay

Postby XUFan09 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:05 am

I didn't realize we could have such a fervent defender of Ewing. I really hoped that he would be successful at Georgetown, but it just hasn't worked out well at all. Following up a fantastic weekend in the 2021 BET with a winless conference slate the following year is just an awful performance. You can make all the excuses you want, but even Mullin managed a single win in his first year at St. John's with a less talented roster.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby smallmodularreactor » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:40 pm

Savannah Jay wrote:

UConn 7-3
Creighton 7-3
St. Johns's 7-3
Nova 6-4
Xavier 5-5
Marquette 5-5
PC 5-5
Seton Hall 4-6
Butler 4-6
DePaul 1-9

Cheers.

LOL...Bless your heart.

Yeah…just like I thought. You don’t know what you’re talking about and ignorant to the reality right in front of your face.
smallmodularreactor

Postby smallmodularreactor » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:43 pm

XUFan09 wrote:I didn't realize we could have such a fervent defender of Ewing. I really hoped that he would be successful at Georgetown, but it just hasn't worked out well at all. Following up a fantastic weekend in the 2021 BET with a winless conference slate the following year is just an awful performance. You can make all the excuses you want, but even Mullin managed a single win in his first year at St. John's with a less talented roster.

You’re missing the whole point. St Johns is not Georgetown. While I see the rationale in comparing the situations, there really is no point. In practice, they were two completely different sets of circumstances. I could go on into detail about hot GU and Ronny Thompson are responsible for running players off campus (because it’s not debatable that Ewing can coach when he does have the horses), but you lot seem a little too rigid for that. Hey, you can only lead a horse to water…
smallmodularreactor

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board